Premium Experience Video Doorbells...?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I last researched this field nothing seemed to work reliably. I have installed a few Ring doorbells for clients but I prefer to not have a recurring cost. I do enjoy various Ubiquity products and the G4 Pro looks interesting to me. So, if you are not too concerned about cost, what are the top doorbells to consider?

Thanks,

R

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I last researched this field nothing seemed to work reliably. I have installed a few Ring doorbells for clients but I prefer to not have a recurring cost. I do enjoy various Ubiquity products and the G4 Pro looks interesting to me. So, if you are not too concerned about cost, what are the top doorbells to consider?

Thanks,

R

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks,

R
So clients, Commercial? You looking for WiFi or POE?

Doorbird is a very EU popular Station setup, Dahua and Hikvision has theirs too.

WiFi, there are many out there, to not be married to a cloud service Ring & Nest you know are big NO's. We have a sizable Thread for the Hikvision DB, they have variants, EZVIZ DB1 (older version, PIR motion) and EZVIZ DB1C (latest AI motion). Reliability; that can be tricky with a WiFi CAM., though I have had my DB1 variant for 3 years now and can't complain.

Here are some Threads:

I would not recommend WiFi DBs for commercial use though...

HTH

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both the older Ezviz DB1and the newer DB1C. I've had the older one for several years and the newer one is a year old. I originally had the old one installed at my front door, but moved it to my garage door when I got the new version. The good news is that they work normally without the cloud or internet. I have them both hooked up to my BI system and I personally have not had any issues with either of them. That being said, I have seen others really struggle with them. Obviously some of that is probably wifi related (which you can't control at a client's house), but some seems to be hardware (or at least power supply) related as well.

A hardwired (power and video transmission) doorbell camera is definitely going to be a more reliable choice. Of course this means you will generally need to install a network cable to the doorbell location on any "old construction" work. You may decide that it isn't worth the extra hassle at certain installations and therefore be limited to wifi cameras there, but supporting wifi cameras is going to be problematic as well as some clients will undoubtedly have issues.