Privacy Invasion CCTV Style...

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would be funny to find out the suspect camera was one of those fake ones you can get at Hobo Freight!
I started with 2 fake cameras in the beginning for 2 years....... it works. Even my next door neighbor thought they were real until I took them down to replace them with real cameras. :rofl:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
The big bright green LED on the very front on that camera is kind of a dead giveaway that the camera was fake. The only ones I have ever seen them on is the fake ones.
There is a house in my neighborhood with cameras with green LEDs on the front. Based on some comments I have heard from others, they are real.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think optical zoom will always show you a clearer view than having tons of pixels. No matter what lightning conditions.
It uses multiple sensors with the video stitched together. Each sensor has a different optical zoom level.
Dallmeier make different versions to accommodate the task, e.g. maybe you only need 4 imaging sensors to cover a smaller area.
The attached image is for a stadium scenario, with the bottom 1/3rd being the field area and top being the stands.

Same principle as the Dahua/Hikvision/Axis/Avigilon/etc panoramic cameras that stitch multiple sensors into a single video.

1690858734854.png

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe you can't blind it with a laser, but how about an extremely bright focused spotlight or strobe?

..and then you get in trouble for causing a distraction to / interfering with / dazzling drivers on the road....

....plus you still risk civil action because you're still interefering with private property by deliberately shining a light at their camera

The options that are most probably legal were suggested to you above

Last edited:

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The big bright green LED on the very front on that camera is kind of a dead giveaway that the camera was fake. The only ones I have ever seen them on is the fake ones.
The Nest cameras have a green led on them indicating they are connected. IIRC , it’s blue when powered but not connected, green when connected, and flashing green when being viewed. In the early days, the owner could disable it, but then they removed that option. So I removed the cameras. (Not the only reason, of course.) Still got one watching the chicken run, though. The chickens complain about many things, but not the camera.

LHuisingh

n3wb
Reaction score
The Turbine Guy is so sad, but very reflective of our society today. We make a judgment about somebody and/or their actions but we don't bother to actually "TALK" to them about our concern. If we started actually talking more to our neighbors we might find out things are not as bad as we think they are. We might actually make a new friend!

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
..and then you get in trouble for causing a distraction to / interfering with / dazzling drivers on the road....

....plus you still risk civil action because you're still interefering with private property by deliberately shining a light at their camera

The options that are most probably legal were suggested to you above
How does a light shining up at a camera mounted on the side of a house dazzle a driver on the road? Moreover, Mr. Neighbor will have to prove you deliberately shined a light to interfere with said camera - assuming this even rises to a legitimate cause of action. Hey, you are just illuminating the area to discourage criminal activity, just like his camera.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How does a light shining up at a camera mounted on the side of a house dazzle a driver on the road? Moreover, Mr. Neighbor will have to prove you deliberately shined a light to interfere with said camera - assuming this even rises to a legitimate cause of action. Hey, you are just illuminating the area to discourage criminal activity, just like his camera.
See your previous response below.
... an extremely bright focused spotlight or strobe?
You would need to argue that the intent of the "extremely bright, focused spotlight" on your neighbor's camera is not to render it useless. The same would go for the strobe light. If your intent of either of these lights is not to render your neighbor's camera useless, then what are they for? A strobe light pointed at a specific area of your neighbor's home is not going to determine criminal activity. A spotlight focused on one specific area of your neighbor's eave or soffit is not going to deter criminal activity.

Until the OP can prove:
A. The camera in question is real and not a dummy.
B. The camera in question has a FOV and focal length that invade his perceived privacy.
C. The camera in question is installed in a manor that is breaking any laws.

Then the suggestions to launch a defensive offense are just ignorant.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
See your previous response below.

You would need to argue that the intent of the "extremely bright, focused spotlight" on your neighbor's camera is not to render it useless. The same would go for the strobe light. If your intent of either of these lights is not to render your neighbor's camera useless, then what are they for? A strobe light pointed at a specific area of your neighbor's home is not going to determine criminal activity. A spotlight focused on one specific area of your neighbor's eave or soffit is not going to deter criminal activity.

Until the OP can prove:
A. The camera in question is real and not a dummy.
B. The camera in question has a FOV and focal length that invade his perceived privacy.
C. The camera in question is installed in a manor that is breaking any laws.

Then the suggestions to launch a defensive offense are just ignorant.
Actually the burden of proof is on the neighbor to prove his allegations, if as I said there is a legal cause of action to begin with.

Yea, personally I would handle it differently yet I was simply responding with a suggestion to the OP. To call me ignorant for doing so is arrogant and goes against the spirit of this forum.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
To call me ignorant for doing so is arrogant and goes against the spirit of this forum.
Not at all.

To be ignorant is to lack knowledge. Not knowing the answers to A or B means most of the suggestions given to defend against the OP's concerns have no quantifiable information to support their use.