Probably just looking for some old people to help

Reaction score
this thread has reminded me to get back to finding a good safe text to speech convertor. it would be so much better to have the alert say, Front door, back door, garage, someone is at the gate, back shop, etc than blimps and jingles my problem is I suffer from down load a virus or packet thief syndrome. I am looking at notevibes .

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What spooked him to turn around when he did or was he just lazy and didn't wanna go back in farther LOL.

I love me a good spotter cam and PTZ combo! I have some great examples like this as well.

And yea, I have to run mine in color at night as well because B/W and IR will cause the stinker to lock on to something else.

At night, I have additional spotter cams (well clone cameras in BI for nighttime) that give me a tighter zoom into pinch points to pick up the perp that the camera will miss like your example above. I have been burned on that too.

As you said, a lot of trial and error to get it down, but certainly worth it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The fixed lens spotter showed a homeowner coming out of his garage to the right out of scene , I think that spooked him.
Good - hopefully then he thought someone was watching him live controlling the PTZ and won't be back!

And I love how when someone notices it, they can't stop from keep looking at it LOL.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
We do link to one now and then in the monthly HOA minutes and it’s a regular part of the monthly agenda. They don’t all have direct access, other than a handful I gave guest access to and can use openvpn. All homeowners are aware and encouraged to report anything suspicious. I’ve pulled video for a number of “events” for various homeowners, but honestly I usually know something happened before they do.

We only have 41 homes so it’s a tight little community. Not many secrets ;) Fortunately we have a pretty good bunch.

Reaction score
We do link to one now and then in the monthly HOA minutes and it’s a regular part of the monthly agenda. They don’t all have direct access, other than a handful I gave guest access to and can use openvpn. All homeowners are aware and encouraged to report anything suspicious. I’ve pulled video for a number of “events” for various homeowners, but honestly I usually know something happened before they do.

We only have 41 homes so it’s a tight little community. Not many secrets ;) Fortunately we have a pretty good bunch.
660 deep and either 150,180 or 330 wide and my side has a canal in the back so it's pretty safe, but I want to keep it safer.

I got started in cameras after some college boys thought giving rat poison to one of my goldens was a fun thing to do while on spring break, they killed 7 dogs that weekend and got me into an 1800 dollar used camera with a 640-480 and bnc cable to a box and I found BI. I think it was like 24 years ago

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this thread has reminded me to get back to finding a good safe text to speech convertor. it would be so much better to have the alert say, Front door, back door, garage, someone is at the gate, back shop, etc than blimps and jingles my problem is I suffer from down load a virus or packet thief syndrome. I am looking at notevibes .
Can we get an MP3 of a 12 gauge pump shotgun being racked? :p

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For those inquiring minds, the reason the PTZ loses track then re-acquires is because it initially picks him up via IVS at its "home" position covering the entrance. Once he gets to a certain point another fixed spotter camera (5442 6mm fixed lens) viewing the street picks him up with its IVS and calls the PTZ to go to that preset 2 because something is moving "behind it" so to speak. Then once at preset 2, PTZ IVS rules for that preset re-acquire him.

The thing to remember with spotter cams is that when they call the PTZ it drops whatever its doing and goes to the preset called by the spotter. So one has to do some noodling on IVS line locations, direction, etc and timing to not lose coverage.
I have a PTZ coming in the next few days SD8A820WA-HNF. I sure would appreciate it if any of you camera veterans could point me in a direction on info in on setting up with 2 spotter Cameras. At this time I have an 3 year old Sunba and to 5442’s covering the area. They mostly just set there in there fixed position. I’m wanting to learn how to use spotter cameras like you have going here. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a PTZ coming in the next few days SD8A820WA-HNF. I sure would appreciate it if any of you camera veterans could point me in a direction on info in on setting up with 2 spotter Cameras. At this time I have an 3 year old Sunba and to 5442’s covering the area. They mostly just set there in there fixed position. I’m wanting to learn how to use spotter cameras like you have going here. Thanks
Are you using Blue Iris or an NVR?

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
what is truly concerning is listening to the young people going through the system that have no concern for harming or killing people. 2 months ago a friends son came over with his step brother who at the age of 15 was bragging about armed robbery, right here in Naples. his family has a long history of criminal activity and they along with their friends have no fear of getting caught as they know they will not spend much time in lockup. one of their friends even shoot at cop at Mercato to impress a female,

it's wild they brag about having sex with step moms, step sisters, etc. they have absolutely no morals, hurting and killing people gets them bragging rights
The great reset. And it’s only going to get worse. Sad thing is that our legal and law enforcement are not doing much to help. When thieves can go into stores and walk out with loads of stolen goods and you can’t stop them. And you have elected officials encouraging it. Well, we’re screwed

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone looking at this thread with Blue Iris and wants to do spotter cams for a PTZ, here you go.

You can use any camera as a spotter camera.

Just set up the triggers to trigger the other cam. Not hard to do in BI.

On the PTZ camera, set up a group containing just that PTZ - it should be the only camera in the group so call it PTZ for example.

In the camera GUI for the PTZ, make a preset(s) for it to move to when triggered which gives the view you want. You can have several spotter cams each triggering a different PTZ preset, but you need to set those up first.

After you are done, redo in BI the find/inspect for the PTZ to ensure it pulls all the presets

On the Trigger tab for the fixed camera, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset number you just created for the PTZ.

Check the Trigger camera group option and hit select and pick the group name the PTZ is in.

Then check the Move to preset and change the number to the preset on the PTZ you want it to move to.

Then check the move camera groups and hit select and then the camera group.

Hit ok and then that fixed cam will call up the PTZ whenever the fixed cam sees motion.

1637330197683.png

Then when something triggers the fixed cam, it will move the PTZ to the assigned preset. You can use the "Trigger Now" to test.

There are a few other ways to do it as well.

And this works for a non autotracking PTZ as well.

Before I got an autotrack PTZ, I created a poorman's tracking PTZ using clone cameras in BI. My wide angle overview camera was cloned 7 times and I created a zone for different areas of the field of view and then would call up the PTZ to move to the preset number for each of those areas. It wasn't as good as a tracking PTZ, but it worked surprisingly well. As someone would walk up my driveway, the PTZ would follow them just by going to the preset number based on which zone they were in.