Probably just looking for some old people to help

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the thing is most of these young people are normal good looking people that yes sir, no sir, people but they have a very dark side and it is so prevalent. they have no honor, not even amongst each other. Camera are a small part of security
Yeah, and the good kids that want to help there community are persecuted.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For anyone looking at this thread with Blue Iris and wants to do spotter cams for a PTZ, here you go.

You can use any camera as a spotter camera.

Just set up the triggers to trigger the other cam. Not hard to do in BI.

On the PTZ camera, set up a group containing just that PTZ - it should be the only camera in the group so call it PTZ for example.

In the camera GUI for the PTZ, make a preset(s) for it to move to when triggered which gives the view you want. You can have several spotter cams each triggering a different PTZ preset, but you need to set those up first.

After you are done, redo in BI the find/inspect for the PTZ to ensure it pulls all the presets

On the Trigger tab for the fixed camera, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset number you just created for the PTZ.

Check the Trigger camera group option and hit select and pick the group name the PTZ is in.

Then check the Move to preset and change the number to the preset on the PTZ you want it to move to.

Then check the move camera groups and hit select and then the camera group.

Hit ok and then that fixed cam will call up the PTZ whenever the fixed cam sees motion.

View attachment 109010

Then when something triggers the fixed cam, it will move the PTZ to the assigned preset. You can use the "Trigger Now" to test.

There are a few other ways to do it as well.

And this works for a non autotracking PTZ as well.

Before I got an autotrack PTZ, I created a poorman's tracking PTZ using clone cameras in BI. My wide angle overview camera was cloned 7 times and I created a zone for different areas of the field of view and then would call up the PTZ to move to the preset number for each of those areas. It wasn't as good as a tracking PTZ, but it worked surprisingly well. As someone would walk up my driveway, the PTZ would follow them just by going to the preset number based on which zone they were in.
Awesome write up! To add to this.. I have my profile 1 as my default/everyday profile. It has all my spotter cameras setup and calling the PTZ. Then my profile 2 is set to not use the spotter cams. I’ve found there are times where I don’t want the PTZ being called around. This way I can easily disable or enable it through BI or home automation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That one is the 4MP with 1/1.8" sensor, great PTZ but about $1300+ - no thats fully automated
SD6AL433XA-HNR

The go to economical one seems to be the SD49225XA-HNR 2MP but I have no experience with it.
See here

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-sd49225xa-hnr-2mp-25x-starlight-ir-ptz-ai-camera-with-deep-ivs-smd-plus.43529/
The 49225 is HUGE. I got one to hook up at my brother's and the thing is the size of my head (and I have a big head!). Is yours (the camera) as ginormous?

Great clip btw, thank you for posting it!

Last edited:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can only admire the video quality from you guys, but DAHUA DH-SD6AL433XA-HNR is way to big and probably too intrusive for my neighbors. The only ptz that I can get are those mini ptz cameras like DS-2DE3A400BW-DE and DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3.:(

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can only admire the video quality from you guys, but DAHUA DH-SD6AL433XA-HNR is way to big and probably too intrusive for my neighbors. The only ptz that I can get are those mini ptz cameras like DS-2DE3A400BW-DE and DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3.:(
Sounds like it may be time to move, or tell your neighbors to mind their own business. :headbang:

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For anyone looking at this thread with Blue Iris and wants to do spotter cams for a PTZ, here you go.

You can use any camera as a spotter camera.

Just set up the triggers to trigger the other cam. Not hard to do in BI.

On the PTZ camera, set up a group containing just that PTZ - it should be the only camera in the group so call it PTZ for example.

In the camera GUI for the PTZ, make a preset(s) for it to move to when triggered which gives the view you want. You can have several spotter cams each triggering a different PTZ preset, but you need to set those up first.

After you are done, redo in BI the find/inspect for the PTZ to ensure it pulls all the presets

On the Trigger tab for the fixed camera, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset number you just created for the PTZ.

Check the Trigger camera group option and hit select and pick the group name the PTZ is in.

Then check the Move to preset and change the number to the preset on the PTZ you want it to move to.

Then check the move camera groups and hit select and then the camera group.

Hit ok and then that fixed cam will call up the PTZ whenever the fixed cam sees motion.

View attachment 109010

Then when something triggers the fixed cam, it will move the PTZ to the assigned preset. You can use the "Trigger Now" to test.

There are a few other ways to do it as well.

And this works for a non autotracking PTZ as well.

Before I got an autotrack PTZ, I created a poorman's tracking PTZ using clone cameras in BI. My wide angle overview camera was cloned 7 times and I created a zone for different areas of the field of view and then would call up the PTZ to move to the preset number for each of those areas. It wasn't as good as a tracking PTZ, but it worked surprisingly well. As someone would walk up my driveway, the PTZ would follow them just by going to the preset number based on which zone they were in.
Thanks for posting this @wittaj I never knew a PTZ could be set up this way w/BI. So I picked up BI from the store, a PTZ and (2) 5442's from @EMPIRETECANDY and I will have to give this a try.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this @wittaj I never knew a PTZ could be set up this way w/BI. So I picked up BI from the store, a PTZ and (2) 5442's from @EMPIRETECANDY and I will have to give this a try.
Awesome! Let me know if you need any help. Depending on your field of view, it takes some trial and error to get it down, and even then you will probably still tweak it from time to time, but the spotter cam technique adds a tremendous new coverage to the system and helps eliminate "the PTZ will be looking the wrong way" thought process.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I know a member had asked about a audio warning when someone has been detected on the perimeter. This is what I use as the first level to inform them:
If someone fails to comply and move away and commits to pass the breach line this is what is played:

Anyone can use the custom audio file I created in their installation. Obviously, the second one is a little over the top and crass but there's absolutely no mistake as to the end result. :rofl:

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know a member had asked about a audio warning when someone has been detected on the perimeter. This is what I use as the first level to inform them:
If someone fails to comply and move away and commits to pass the breach line this is what is played:

Anyone can use the custom audio file I created in their installation. Obviously, the second one is a little over the top and crass but there's absolutely no mistake as to the end result. :rofl:
That’s awesome. But check out the (I think concealed carry lawyer) on youttube. They worn against using stuff like that. There concern is if some did get shot and it went to court It could be used against you. But I still like it.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That one is the 4MP with 1/1.8" sensor, great PTZ but about $1300+ - no thats fully automated SD6AL433XA-HNR
I seemed to have missed this great thread. Now you have me thinking about skipping my idea for some dual lens cams but saving for this PTZ to go with my other "regular" PTZs...... I have enough 5442's to use as spotters.

Is it easy to share your IVS setting (your tripwire zones...) to see how you mask out the road traffic from triggering your autotracking and just get the sidewalks? I've haven't yet started using IVS on any of my cams but I want to. Thanks for sharing all this.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No need for masking, IVS allows you to choose human or vehicle filter only or both. So this uses human and ignores cars. Just draw tripwires or intrusion zones (I typically do both on top of each other) where you want tracking to begin or better, covering the area you want to initiate tracking, and it just works.

Give me a minute and I’ll show my IVS rules

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish! I never thought of layering IVS rules actually - well I haven't ventured into them much yet as I was just trying to get enough cams to get full coverage which I think I'm finally at now. Thanks for taking the time to help.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score