Problem After BI Disk Upgrade

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I can’t see that option in the screenshot?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Try Macrium Reflect free version, it works great. There are no hidden files in BI4 or BI5 clips.
Not head of it but anything that relies on MS System restore points for references (from wikipedia), I would steer well clear of. One of the beauties of Storage Craft's solution is you can do hardware independent restores so you can change your entire pc and restore to new hardware and you won't encounter any driver or windows tied to hardware issues. That said, it can be complex as corporate level.

I wouldn't expect there will be hidden files in clips themselves, but once you start moving program files around you can encounter a whole load of issues. Not the same as moving database folders.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In Blue Iris version 4 you would turn off hi-res alert images by unchecking the "Store alerts as hi-res files" option on each camera's Camera Settings / Record tab. Interestingly, the Blue Iris version 5 help file gives the same instruction but that option does not appear on the Camera Settings / Record tab (see attached image).

Edit: The "Store alerts as hi-res files" option is on the Trigger tab in BI5... help file needs to be updated.
So, apparently there is no GLOBAL setting whereby one (1) switch turns off "Store alerts as hi-res files" for all cameras running on the Blue Iris server instance?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
It sounds like the big mistake was not assigning the old drive letter V to the new HDD before turning Blue Iris back on. If you had, then it shouldn't even have needed the clip DB to be repaired/regenerated.

No idea why the clips don't return, though the alerts are gone for good.
And once he did a repair/regenerate with the new drive location the clip.dat file went kerplunk. Time to save what clips you want and start over fresh.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to play with this on my demo BI5 and see if indeed this was the culprit, It may not be possible to change drive letters without losing your alerts.

Update test:
I did move my clips (about 736mb) to a different drive and then started BI and set the clips and archiving to that new location AND drive letter. The alerts were still showing, but of course when I clicked on one it gave me:

Annotation 2019-09-11 080419.jpg

Then I did a repair/regenerate of the DB which then gave me this:

Annotation 2019-09-11 080648.jpg

I then moved the clips back to the original drive and changed settings in Bi again and did another repair/regenerate and then the alerts came back.

Annotation 2019-09-11 080842.jpg

So it appears that you must keep the same drive letter.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Allow me to Qomplicate this a tad more...
  • Upgraded this BI4 server to v5.025 (x64) today
  • Prior to the upgrade process the paths were as previously stated...
    • New: N:\Blue Iris\New (The new WD12TB Drive N: )
    • Stored: S:\Blue Iris\Stored (The old WD6TB Drive S: )
  • All the historic alerts have now returned
So FUQIT...I'm good.

smiley29.gif

Q out!

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Not head of it but anything that relies on MS System restore points for references (from wikipedia), I would steer well clear of. One of the beauties of Storage Craft's solution is you can do hardware independent restores so you can change your entire pc and restore to new hardware and you won't encounter any driver or windows tied to hardware issues. That said, it can be complex as corporate level.

I wouldn't expect there will be hidden files in clips themselves, but once you start moving program files around you can encounter a whole load of issues. Not the same as moving database folders.
I've used macrium reflect free for years on many machines to clone their boot drives so I could replace or upgrade their boot drives to larger ones or SSDs, etc. It has always worked perfectly.

I'm not sure what you read or where, but maybe it's talking about doing incremental backups or the like. But for cloning or making full images, I've never had any problems with Macrium Free.

But that Storage Craft product sounds good for upgrading a PC itself. I've never tried it. I always end up doing a clean install of the OS with a new PC.