Problem with assigning Port using SADP

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a system I put together that’s been running Blue Iris 24/7. Combination of 2 ACTi and a Dahua Mini PTZ.

Been trying to add a Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IWS using PoE over CAT6 cable with a 40’ run. Connection is fine and setup is straightforward with SADP except for when I try to assign a different port from 8000. If for example I change it to 8094, I cannot connect. I can’t even login via WebGui. But if I leave it at 8000 and assign any Static IP, everything is good! What I don’t understand is why there is a Port assigned for iPV6 whose default I leave at 80. I tried changing this and same thing; cannot connect.

HELP please!

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve always been of the opinion that assigning a STATIC IP as well as assigning a unique PORT # instead of the default 8000 increased the security from hackers, or was I wrong? I also use a Dynamic DNS to further secure my system.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a common misconception. If there is no access from the big bad internet, there isn't a problem.
And in any case, changing ports away from defaults is just obfuscation, has minimal effect against the bit bot probes.