Problem with Dahua 5442 camera, not sure if defect or normal

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello guys,

i have a brand new varifocal 5442 here... i have a problem when IR light is turned on ... its not there if ir light is off in BW mode or in color mode...
it looks like there are many dead pixels ... i attached a video ..

also there are two IR-LEDs in front. One looks darker than the other, maybe related ?

there is some dirt/dust inside the camera, but i dont think it has something to do with it... you have to go full screen to see the white dots.

depends on scene... sometimes its very visible and sometimes its not visible. maybe someone could say if its maybe defect or normal... :D have to check another power source / poe switch later.. maybe its related to power source.

View attachment crop.mp4

irlight.jpg

original video:

View attachment original.mp4

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
you have to go full screen to see the white dots.
Maybe it's just me - but I don't see any white pixels on the videos, after I dusted my screen.

there is some dirt/dust inside the camera
That certainly shouldn't be there.

also there are two IR-LEDs in front. One looks darker than the other, maybe related ?
With the caveat that I'm not familiar with that specific model - it's common for a varifocal for multiple IR emitters to have different beam angles to minimise the 'spotlight' effect.
If so - the does make them look different in appearance and apparent brightness.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't give a specific model, but the different appearances of the IR LEDs is because one is for "close" and one is for "far". The close is more diffused and will appear dimmer, while the far is more focused and will appear brighter.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me - but I don't see any white pixels on the videos, after I dusted my screen.

That certainly shouldn't be there.

With the caveat that I'm not familiar with that specific model - it's common for a varifocal for multiple IR emitters to have different beam angles to minimise the 'spotlight' effect.
If so - the does make them look different in appearance and apparent brightness.
i never received a dahua camera without dirt/dust in it. i think its quite normal that there is some dust ... i dont think they are made in a dust free room... it should not have any affect , only if you focus to near (1cm), which is only possible if you have a varifocal camera

ir far/near makes sense for varifocal camera !

i attached another screenshot with some marked white spots. on a single shot they are not highly visible , zoom in then you will see .. but when watching video in webinterface they are visibile... some of them are blinking

@sebastiantombs

model is IPC-HDW5442T-ZE sorry

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
1. Make a hard reset on the camera, press the reset button for 5-7 seconds.

2. This issue have to open the camera to check if the cable connect to the lens and board has been loosen or not, so just open the camera ball part to check.
If connect well and nothing changed , then just return it and we send a replacement for you.
Sure if you buy from us ;)

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I tested again ..

• reset and
  • firmware update to smd 3.0
  • 12v power supply (tried 2 different)
didnt help to fix

its not only with IR light on,,, but only in BW mode...

also there is oil inside the SD-card slot/tray ? not sure what happen. really stinks. reminds me of a sidecutter from aliexpress which was covered in so much oil, i have to trash it.

look like cmos problem or maybe dirt on IR-filter ? have to check all cams on weekend.

original:
dead_pixel.jpg

marked:

dead_pixel_marked.jpg

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
You could install a different firmware and see if the white spots are gone or more or fewer this would confirm the problem can be sorted with an updated firmware fix rather than sending the whole camera back. I remember my GITUP dashcam had this fault and it was fixed with a sequence of covering the lens and pointing it to a white A4 sheet while going through a process. Not sure if something can be done the same and you will have to do some further homework.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Have to ask again...

I am not using any ir light...
i tried it now with 2 other 5442 - AS (from early 2020)... both have the same "problem". so i am starting to think that there is no problem... but its not on old 2MP 1/2,8"

maybe someone could try on own 5442 camera ? in a low light scene... shutter to something like 8.33 and gain to 30 in bw mode without IR light ... wonder why this happen

hmm.jpg

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Hot/dead pixels are thing with CMOS sensors. In astrophotography there are ways to combat it but it’s really only a problem for them because their exposures are so long (20 seconds plus).

My screen must be dirty because I can’t see them in your picture. Is it affecting you recordings or is it more of a curiosity thing?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
hmm.. i only see them at night on 55" 4k tv screen...

its more a general problem if you know where they are... then you see them even with longer shutter and more gain :D ... this is the problem with all dead pixels ... you see them once you see them anytime.

im just asking , because i dont want to claim warranty to a problem which does not exist. also it makes no sense to change it if the new has the same problem. so i should just keep them ..

like already mention it is possible to disable the dead pixels with software, but it seems that dahua does not do it in factory...

maybe better: ??

dead.jpg

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If your other cameras exhibit the same symptom, its probably common to all of them.

You would never record a scene that dark though. Can you see them in a "normally" illuminated scene?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
If you know where they are, you will see them if you search for it.

if you have no idea they exist you will not see them in a illuminated scene ;) .
One problem is when you have scenes where is some part nearly black ... if you have lot of dead pixels in this area you will see them always

so i will just keep them all, dont steal andys time and stop asking ;)

But its only on the cameras with 4MP 1/1,8" sensor ... all my 2MP 1/2,8" and the indoor 8MP 1/2,5" are not affected...

dont ask why i have 8MP ... it was the only model with built in PIR and 2way audio (HFW1831C-PIR) and i needed it...

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
With video can you really notice them? Have to be honest I've not looked for them, I have UI3 saved as s shortcut on my 65" OLED, might give a few night time clips a run to see if I notice anything?

Doing a black/white screen test is like when I got my LG 65" OLED, a friend of mine asked me if I had run black, white and single colour images on the screen to test for banding on the set. My response was, why? I don't notice anything when using the TV and with everything having limitations why would would I want to highlight something that I would probably never notice when using the TV normally.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
It depends on where they are.. i had the camera mounted at a place where are some near black areas was/are in the scene... then the blinking dots where clearly visible in this area and a bit annoying because i was using the camera for just watching wildlife at night. problem is not the white dot itself, you may not notice it... problem is that they are blinking continously ;)

i already remounted the camera that the white dots are not covering the near black areas..

not sure why all other dahuas cameras dont have it, even the cheaper ones.. its only on model series 5442... no idea why dahua dont remove the dead pixels in factory..

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
no idea why dahua dont remove the dead pixels in factory
That’s a defect of the vendor’s CMOS chip. Dahua doesn’t manufacture that part.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s a defect of the vendor’s CMOS chip. Dahua doesn’t manufacture that part.
According the video from @ljw2k it is possible to remove them via software after ... so in my opinion its on dahua side to fix it after they build the camera