Problem with DS-2CD2385FWD-I

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installed this new camera over the weekend, very impressed with the quality of the 4k images. Problem I am having is that on the recordings it seems to be skipping frames and provided a 'jerky' playback when viewing videos.
I have two cameras connected to a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station. It actually does the jerky playback whilst viewing live mode through Surveillance station but is absolutely fine when viewing live through just the cameras own IP. The camera is not yet listed in Synologys supported list, so is configured as [GENERIC_HIKVISION] in the drop down list.
Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? Even if I reduced fps the problem remains.
Cheers!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Installed this new camera over the weekend, very impressed with the quality of the 4k images. Problem I am having is that on the recordings it seems to be skipping frames and provided a 'jerky' playback when viewing videos.
I have two cameras connected to a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station. It actually does the jerky playback whilst viewing live mode through Surveillance station but is absolutely fine when viewing live through just the cameras own IP. The camera is not yet listed in Synologys supported list, so is configured as [GENERIC_HIKVISION] in the drop down list.
Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? Even if I reduced fps the problem remains.
Cheers!
your synology is likely chocking on the camera....what bitrate are you using? what frame rates? what model synology do you have?

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Max bit rate is 8192, but its set to variable on camera settings and within Surveillance Station. I have the frame rate set to 20fps but lowering it makes no difference at all so bumped it back to 20. My synology is the DS415+, I can stream 4k film footage from it fine, but maybe you are right it might not be able to cope. Its a shame as I have another camera (same model) arriving next week.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you like the quality in low light? Not in the total dark. I mean in low light like streets in the evening with street lights.?

Inviato dal mio LG-H850 utilizzando Tapatalk

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you like the quality in low light? Not in the total dark. I mean in low light like streets in the evening with street lights.?

Well its better than my older camera so I am happy. Only just got it so still needs some tweaking but I'm loving the 4k imagery.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well its better than my older camera so I am happy. Only just got it so still needs some tweaking but I'm loving the 4k imagery.
Thanks! I think for low but not super low light this is the best camera atm

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This camera does not perform well in low light...the youtube videos are not complete darkness and user trickery like recording against very reflective surfaces...

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This camera does not perform well in low light...the youtube videos are not complete darkness and user trickery like recording against very reflective surfaces...
This is not really helping me come up with a solution to my original question is it.....?
Which 4k camera SHOULD I have bought?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not really helping me come up with a solution to my original question is it.....?
Which 4k camera SHOULD I have bought?
I know, just pointing that out.....there is no 4k camera that you can afford that is excellent in low light...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know, just pointing that out.....there is no 4k camera that you can afford that is excellent in low light...
Curious, what is the least expensive turret camera you'd recco for "low light"?

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My 216j is running a 4K and a 4MP hik no issues at all with medium CPU usage both at full res settings, 10fps. What does your CPU usage read?

Fwiw, the 4K is awesome but the 4MP hik is not much different from my 2mp starlight Dahua in daylight, obviously both are worse in the dark.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My 216j is running a 4K and a 4MP hik no issues at all with medium CPU usage both at full res settings, 10fps. What does your CPU usage read?

Fwiw, the 4K is awesome but the 4MP hik is not much different from my 2mp starlight Dahua in daylight, obviously both are worse in the dark.
My CPU usage on the resource monitor is never going above 30% so I just cant see it being that. Beginning to think its just the surveillance software causing the problem somewhere.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used to have the same issues with Synology SS and my old Sony camera a few years ago. Switch your Diskstation off completely and try BI or Xprotect, then you'll know for sure.
I wish there was another surveillance package I could run on the NAS. I dont have a spare PC laying around to run CCTV from.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I find the 4K camera performance in extremely low light scenarios acceptable for my purposes (No streetlights or other ambient light)

upload_2017-8-27_18-44-52.png

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
*shrug* Guess I have low standards.

Still playing with mine and moving it around from place to place.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been playing with the 4K camera for license plate imaging.

I also picked up 4mm, 8mm, and 12mm for comparison to the 2.8 from xinray on aliexpress.

The images from the 4mm:

toltingcolt.swenet.se_01_20170912103951831.jpg toltingcolt.swenet.se_01_20170912104023255.jpg

You can definitely make out the license plates, and the camera has a nice field of view, but obviously you're not dealing with a lot of pixels for the license plate. the plates from across the street can defintely be hard to read at the acute angle needed to see them, because the vehicle has to be closer to the camera.

I installed the 12mm yesterday (same spot) and here's what I captured today:

toltingcolt.swenet.se_01_20170912103622937.jpg
toltingcolt.swenet.se_01_2017091210371878.jpg

much better pictures of the license plates, but of course, narrower field of view in which to capture them, so a higher frame rate and shutter speed is necessary to ensure you capture a clear image in a minimum of 1 frame.

Going to install the 8mm tonight when I get home and let it run for a while to see what I get for images.... should be a compromise between the two.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
8mm:
172.16.100.246_01_20170912172831306.jpg 172.16.100.246_01_20170912172620397.jpg

need to move the camera up a little but plates remain in view the whole time (albeit unreadable further away)