Problem with HikVision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW and Qnap ts-212

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i just installed on my network a new HikVision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW. On my network I also have a Qnap Ts-212 with Sourveillance station.

I tried to add the DS-2CD2442FWD-IW on it but first time i couldn't find it in the model list of HikVision. If I put generic model it not work.
Then searching on google I find a solution. Put "generic" both in brand and model then choose RTSP and use /Streamings/Channels/1 on HTTP url. With this configuration camera start to work in my sourveillance station. The problem is that after some hours of working and registration it stop work, Nas send me an e-mail that say "Re-start process nvrd due to live report out-of-date".

After that i will need some information about how to set correctly registration, and maybe registration on motion, but first I need to solve this basically problem.

Thanks
Best regards

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you will find that there isn't enough memory in the TS-212 to run Surveillance Station.
If you check the resource monitor you will likely find that the NAS is starting to use swap space, which will dramatically reduce performance when running a real-time app and increase the frequency of nvrd service failures.

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
You're right! Actually I have only 30 gb of free disk space. Is this the problem??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right! Actually I have only 30 gb of free disk space. Is this the problem??
No - it would be lack or memory (RAM), not disc space that could be a problem.
But also 30GB would not give you much recording history especially using continuous.

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
So what should I do?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, a while back I used Surveillance Station on a TS-412 but found as the QTS and SS updates came along that it was increasingly unable to cope, so I replaced it with a model with a lot more RAM and a faster processor.
However - you could always use the 'Record to NAS' (NetHDD) capability of the camera to record directly to a NAS share - that works OK and is not very demanding on NAS resources.

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I saw that i can use also the capability of the camera to record to nas. But is a solution also to solve my problem and use the sourveillance station?

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
So with my ts-212 I can't use sourvellaince station!?!? Why they install it on this nas if I can't use???

Maybe I can check RAM usage and optimize it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So with my ts-212 I can't use sourvellaince station!?!? Why they install it on this nas if I can't use???
Of course you can use it - you said you are using it.
It's just a bit over heavy for the available system resources.
Maybe I can check RAM usage and optimize it?
If you check the resource monitor you will likely find that the NAS is starting to use swap space, which will dramatically reduce performance when running a real-time app and increase the frequency of nvrd service failures.

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
Where can I check the detail of RAM process? Maybe checking it I can see something useless and stop it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Where can I check the detail of RAM process? Maybe checking it I can see something useless and stop it?
Surveillance Station runs OK on a QNAP NAS with more RAM than the 256MB of the TS-212. I'd suggest that 1GB is the realistic minimum.
Here is an example of SS 5.1.1.0 starting up, with just one camera defined.
Check out the swap space in use. At this point, the HDDs are being worked hard swapping RAM in and out, performance has fallen away sharply, and the nvrd process has become unstable.
ss_1.jpg ss_2.jpg

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my situation, actually i can't see nvrd, so i think nas has just restart it.

Are situation normal?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are situation normal?
No - there is an excessive amount of swap space in use.
This will seriously embarrass real-time or near-real-time applications such as Surveillance Station.
Presumably you are noticing this in the responsiveness of the QTS and SS web GUIs, and any apps you are running.

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
Presumably you are noticing this in the responsiveness of the QTS and SS web GUIs, and any apps you are running.
Exactly, and what can I do to solve it?
Is there some service that can I stop or some app running that use so much memory?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there some service that can I stop or some app running that use so much memory?
Well, without knowing what you are running or allowing to run, any answer would be mostly guesswork.
You could use App Centre to stop any running apps while watching the memory usage, the swap space in use.
However - I'm pretty sure you'll discover that there is no real solution.

===>
Surveillance Station runs OK on a QNAP NAS with more RAM than the 256MB of the TS-212. I'd suggest that 1GB is the realistic minimum.

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyway, why i have lot of swap memory used also if normal memory is not full used?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have given you some responses, both here and in 'another place', based on my personal experience of the same scenario with the same hardware, giving the same symptoms.
And even re-checked it to be sure, and got the same results.

I think it may be time for you to submit a QNAP HelpDesk ticket so that QNAP can respond.
Submit a ticket -

mtguido

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol, i didn't see that was always you....eheheh

Anyway I understand you say that my usage of swap memory should be caused from Sourveillance station but if I shut down the Sourveillance station my swap memory should became empty right?