Problems with calls between Dahua VTHs, VTO, and Zoiper and Linphone softphones

IVCDub

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a warning, I am a newbie with SIP, so I appreciate your patience.

I have a system comprised of a Dahua VTO2202F-P-S2 and two VTH5341G-W monitors. I use the SIP server on the VTO (running firmware 4.5), and all audio and video calling between the three units works entirely as expected.

Recently I decided to kit-out my system with a couple of older Apple devices running either Zoiper or Linphone. I have been able to register my older iPads running both Zoiper and Linphone with the SIP server, and I can send and receive between each of them and my MacBook (also running Zoiper registered to the same SIP server). The iPads and my MacBook also receive AUDIO calls from the VTO on button-press. So, all of that is great!

My first problem is that the audio for any calls between my Apple devices and my VTHs consists 100% of loud, random static. This problem is the same regardless of the Apple device, and regardless if I'm using Zoiper or Linphone. I had thought that there must be a codec problem, but i can see on Zoiper running on my Mac that it thinks my call quality between it and the VTH is "Excellent" and that the local codecs (G.711 and mu-law) match the remote codecs on the VTHs (G.711 and mu-law). So, I'm at a loss as to that issue.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 4.58.09 PM.png

My second problem is that I can't get any video between the VTO and my apple devices. I can see video in calls between my Apple devices, and I can see video on calls between my VTHs and my VTO.

I have the Zoiper options set at "176 x 144" and "15 fps". I also have installed the H.264 video codec on Zoiper. I have a feeling that this problem relates to the video between the problem-calls being only one-way . . . the VTO should sends video to my Apple devices but shouldn't receive video from them, while the VTHs should receive video from the Apple devices but not send it to them. Here is what I see on my iPhone running Zoiper when I call the VTO (note, the square on the bottom of the pic does usually have video in it, but I took the screen shot looking straight up in a dark room):

IMG_0794.jpeg

I can't really find any debug info on from the VTO's SIP server. Am I simply running up against limitations of Dahua's SIP server implementation? Should I simply TRY to buy a RPI and set up a SIP server via Asterisks?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Hi -I have been experimenting with a VTO2202F for the last week or so. I just saw your message.

I have had Linphone on a MacBook consistently making and receiving calls to the VTO with good quality 1-way video and 2-way audio.

The only problem I have with Linphone is in initiating a video call with a script or http link. Linphone will initiate an audio call with either a 'tel:name@addr' URI or with CLI command ( " open -a linphone -u 'tel:name@addr' ") but I have not persuaded it to make a video call.

Linphone can generate logs for debugging purposes ("Advanced" tab in "Preferences"). These get very big and very techie, but there may be some obvious error messages.

Also, given that the VTO acts as a SIP server as well as a client, you should be able to make calls between your devices through the VTO. I'd expect that those will work fine. If so you will have a log of successful call to compare with the unsuccessful call to the VTO's client.

I won't post screenshots of my Linphone and VTO configs for now, but I'd be happy to do so if that would be helpful.

Cheers
Sean