problems with every update 100% repeatible

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
everytime i do an update, the next time i attempt to make any changes to any cameras i immediately get a message saying "your camera names must be unique and must begin with a letter" as soon as i go to any other tab besides general.... happens to all cameras. Won't let me do anything else unless i change the short name on all cameras.... what gives?

thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
everytime i do an update, the next time i attempt to make any changes to any cameras i immediately get a message saying "your camera names must be unique and must begin with a letter" as soon as i go to any other tab besides general.... happens to all cameras. Won't let me do anything else unless i change the short name on all cameras.... what gives?

thanks.
Well, do they begin and end with a letter and are they unique?

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then what are you actually changing?
Like i said, nothing. After an update if i go into camera settings and then click on some other tab besides General i'm prevented from doing anything until i change the short name despite the fact nothing has changed in my system other than updating.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you maybe have any hidden cams that you have disabled from the view?

Maybe a screenshot of the cams showing their names might help?

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you maybe have any hidden cams that you have disabled from the view?

Maybe a screenshot of the cams showing their names might help?
I have 9 cameras plus 1 which is a copy of 1 camera and is hidden. All 10 have unique names. Everything was working fine until upgrading due to the apple certificate push issue. Once updated as soon as i open camera settings on any except the hidden one mentioned, when i try to go to another tab besides General i get the message i've attached. Mind you i'm not "editing" anything, just trying to view the settings. This same behavior happened months ago the last time i attempted an update and caused hours of undoing that update. The solution is to rename all short names to something else but i don't want to have to do this everytime i update the software.

8trek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The true problem is revealed right there in your screenshot. You have a group with the same name as a camera. (and Blue Iris is not so good at error messages)
Ahhh, okay, thanks for that. Guess the next time I update the software I'll know for sure but that makes sense. Although I would question why it allowed me to do this before but not after an update.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The true problem is revealed right there in your screenshot. You have a group with the same name as a camera. (and Blue Iris is not so good at error messages)
Nice catch. Been bitten by this 'same name' type scenario too many ties. It is second nature to ensure naming conventions are different. Case in point I typically add "grp" to group names: Garage grp, Layout 1 grp, etc