Problems with V5

Reaction score
Ever since upgrading to version 5 BI is twitchy, slow and keeps messing up. All kinds of weird things. I wish I could go back to V4 without having to reprogram everything.

Reaction score
I don't have the time to help BI fix the bugs with V5. I simply want to know if I can go back to V4 without have to start all over. I have everything written down so I can do it but if there is an easier/faster way to go back that would be preferable.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very odd.
V5 has been working rock solid for me. And the look and feel is a lot better than V4.
What problems are you having or is this just a random complaint?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the time to help BI fix the bugs with V5. I simply want to know if I can go back to V4 without have to start all over. I have everything written down so I can do it but if there is an easier/faster way to go back that would be preferable.
There is nothing wrong with v5....this is user error. Perform a clean install of v5

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just finished setting up a second machine with V5 to run alongside V4. Runs higher on the CPU but otherwise haven’t noticed anything else. Machines are identical other than the V5 machine has max RAM at 32GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished setting up a second machine with V5 to run alongside V4. Runs higher on the CPU but otherwise haven’t noticed anything else. Machines are identical other than the V5 machine has max RAM at 32GB

are you running the second machine in demo mode?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Nope. Bought a second license because why not :) I think I have to go camera by camera and double check all of my settings. I did a fresh windows install, installed V5, then imported my V4 configuration. Should probably refresh myself on the optimization guide since it's been a while.

Both are HP Elitedesk 800G1 SFF i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz. V5 has 32GB ram and runs at 85-98% with console open. Task manager reports 74-80% with console minimized. V4 has 16GB ram and runs around 85% with console open. Both have live preview at 8FPS. All 16 cams are 2MP 15FPS showing around 300kB/s bitrate (in night mode right now).

I see some have systems with 16 cams running at 45% with the same processor. I still have plans to add more cameras in the future.

Reaction score
Very odd.
V5 has been working rock solid for me. And the look and feel is a lot better than V4.
What problems are you having or is this just a random complaint?
Right after upgrading to V5 my screen started jumping randomly. The windows task bar at the bottom of the screen will appear for no reason and then disappear making the screen shift up and then down even though the mouse is now where close to the bottom of the screen. When I choose to look at a video on the left side of the screen the program will just close so I am unable to look at any past videos. If I ext the program and then start it again it doesn't always start and sometimes it will start but not all of it. If it does start it is extremely slow. My network is not connected to the internet (unless I plug it in for upgrades). I guess if there is no way to go back to V$ without reentering everything from the start I might as well do that.

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with v5....this is user error. Perform a clean install of v5
I was having no problems with V4. All of my problems started after upgrading to V5. My system has not worked since then. I have spent hours trying to fix it. I think at this point I will just delete everything and do a clean install of V4 and reenter all of my cameras. UUUgh, the time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@hunter31361 Look in your Blue Iris 4 folder to see if it has a recent registry backup. Chances are, it does. You can import this backup once you have BI v4 running again. It will revert all your BI settings to the way they were at the date when the backup was made.

If V4 turns out to be broken too, then the next course of action I'd say is to wipe out Windows and reinstall using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Update to my original comments.. I ran through the optimization steps on my V5 system. Several cameras did not maintain my Direct-to-Disk setting with the upgrade. Corrected those and it brought me down to 60% CPU. My V5 computer runs windows 10 vs the server 2012 that my V4 machine runs. I was able to enable Intel hardware accelerated decode and it brought me down to 40%!!!

Now I can say I have no complaints on how V5 is running!! (knock on wood!). I will soon be retiring my V4 instance.