Procedure for NVR upgrade?

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe I am overthinking this, but what would be the correct way to upgrade my nvr? I now have an Eyesurv 16 port NON POE nvr and will be upgrading to the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2. I have thirteen cameras and two Zyxel POE switches which power the cams. Since the cams obviously all have their ip addresses set, would I just then shut down the Eyesurv, plug the CAT5e into the Dahua and then turn it on and "search" for my cameras? Is there something I am missing here? I know that I would also need to configure various menus in the new nvr, but is the above the right way to get me up and running?

Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the cameras support the ability to provide more than one stream, and are on the same LAN as the new NVR, then you should be able to ease the transition by adding the cameras to the new NVR whilst leaving them also feeding the Eyesurve NVR.
This would allow you to shake out any problems getting the new NVR to work with the cameras, whilst still maintaining the use of the Eyesurv NVR.
I have a set of Hikvision cameras currently feeding 3 streams, continuous and event driven recording, sometimes 4 if I'm experimenting, they seem to manage that OK.
But it does depend on the cameras.

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the cameras support the ability to provide more than one stream, and are on the same LAN as the new NVR, then you should be able to ease the transition by adding the cameras to the new NVR whilst leaving them also feeding the Eyesurve NVR.
This would allow you to shake out any problems getting the new NVR to work with the cameras, whilst still maintaining the use of the Eyesurv NVR.
I have a set of Hikvision cameras currently feeding 3 streams, continuous and event driven recording, sometimes 4 if I'm experimenting, they seem to manage that OK.
But it does depend on the cameras.

Nothing that complicated. Some cameras do have a third stream, but I just want to swap them out. I really don't want to go the three stream route. Can you advise me what is the best way to do this?

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nothing that complicated. Some cameras do have a third stream, but I just want to swap them out. I really don't want to go the three stream route. Can you advise me what is the best way to do this?
I meant to say that I just want to swap out the nvr. I am giving the Eyesurv to a neighbor for Christmas.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
All I meant was that you don't need to disconnect the cameras from the old NVR before adding them to the new NVR (and so being able to check that all is OK) if the cameras will supply more than one video stream, as Hikvision cameras do. It's not substreams, or tri-streams, just more than one instance of the main stream.