Processor

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
A Varifocal Starlight Bullet is going to become available shortly, it supports external Alarm Input so if you want to hook a physical motion sensor directly up to it you can.. performance will be identical to the Varifocal Turret. IPC-HFW5231E-Z | Dahua Technology

There is a 16mm Varifocal Bullet in 6MP thats better than all the 3/4/8MP Cameras with its IMX178, its not low enough lux for dahua to call it a starlight.. but its roughly as good in low light as a decent non-starlight 1080p, but at 6MP.. its really the ONLY UHD camera that even does well in low light conditions right now, but it price is over $300 a piece so its not for for the faint of heart and its still not close to the performance of the 2MP Starlights (0.02 Lux vs 0.006 Lux): IPC-HFW8630E-Z | Dahua Technology. I think its a good candidate for LPR use, it is a case where more pixels and less noise can really help automatic plate reading, and because plates are very well litup at night.
Found one place selling the bullet for $199, not too bad, I'd prefer to throw Adam the business though for being an awesome dude to the community.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I use alarm inputs heavily too, I have a couple 4MP Bullets thats going to get replaced with that ASAP.. I asked @EMPIRETECANDY to book one in early November and im still waiting for it, dunno price yet might be a lil more expensive. these starlight models as you may have gathered are hot off the presses and distributers have yet to build up stocks/production.. they seem to work in batches and the security industry seems alot more immune to the Osborne effect than retail/consumer markets, govts/business buy previous generation gear for years after they became obsolete

My PTZ is hooked to a contact switch and motion sensor, I have a 4MP Bullet hooked to a contact switch, and another 4MP Bullet hooked to a motion sensor and strobe light.. so as much as I love the turret, sadly it cannot replace many of my cameras without me loosing functionality I actually use.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah I use alarm inputs heavily too, I have a couple 4MP Bullets thats going to get replaced with that ASAP.. I asked @EMPIRETECANDY to book one in early November and im still waiting for it, dunno price yet might be a lil more expensive. these starlight models as you may have gathered are hot off the presses and distributers have yet to build up stocks/production.. they seem to work in batches and the security industry seems alot more immune to the Osborne effect than retail/consumer markets.

My PTZ is hooked to a contact switch and motion sensor, I have a 4MP Bullet hooked to a contact switch, and another 4MP Bullet hooked to a motion sensor and strobe light.. so as much as I love the turret, sadly it cannot replace many of my cameras without me loosing functionality I actually use.
What are you using for motion sensors? From the googles it looks like you just hook up the normally closed connector to the input on the camera and the ground to ground on the camera and then you have to power the sensor right? Do you splice into the Poe cable for power or do you run them on batteries?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use active PoE to 12v splitters on the far end, then power the camera, an IR illuminator, a remote microphone, possibly a strobe light (to get targets to look into camera) and a motion sensor.. usually requires a big weatherproof junction box to wire the gear inside.

Alarm In you short to ground to go from NO to NC, Alarm Out provides Ground when High and is Floating when Low.

I use Bosch and Optex Motion Sensors, I also using a couple alarm inputs on my NVR for Doorbell/Doormat, Living room MD, just wired in parallel w/alarm system and both NVR can trigger alarm and alarm can trigger NVR.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I use active PoE to 12v splitters on the far end, then power the camera, an IR illuminator, a remote microphone, possibly a strobe light (to get targets to look into camera) and a motion sensor.. usually requires a big weatherproof junction box to wire the gear inside.

Alarm output you short to ground to go from NO to NC, Alarm Input provides Ground when High and is Floating when Low.

I use Bosch and Optex Motion Sensors, I also using a couple alarm inputs on my NVR for Doorbell/Doormat
Can you shoot me links to the splitter and motion sensors you use? Good idea on the strobe, clever, I like it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For Motion Sensors, Amazon.com: Optex OP-08CBL Passive IR Door Sensor, Black: Home Improvement

I like that one because it does not reach out very far and is really easy to configure, and it picks up wildlife.. I paint the case white and shove it up under soffits and it wont set off unless something comes up pretty close, and then its fast.. the small pattern allows you to target chokes/hotspots and avoid trees,landscaping/traffic/etc.. I have one mounted 15ft high and it covers a driveway sized area on side of house perfectly and wont pickup my neighbors yard.

Indoors I am fond of the Bosch TriTech Pet immune ones, like this: : Amazon.com : BOSCH SECURITY VIDEO ISC-BDL2-WP12G TriTech Motion Detector : Camera & Photo and I been thinking of trying one outside and sealing it up my self.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I flipped my in/out earlier, edited it correctly..

I tried a few and this one seems to be the most solid: Amazon.com: USG PoE Splitter To Power Non-PoE Cameras: "Splits" Incoming PoE Signal To 12V DC Power + RJ45 Ethernet Video, 10/100Mbps, 15.4W Per Port, IEEE 802.3af, True Plug-&-Play, Auto Detect, Designed For HD IP Video Surveillance Systems: Computers & Accessories

When someone walks down the sidewalk infront of my car between midnight and 5am it triggers the strobe automatically :)
So the optex will do beams across, that is awesome, I was just thinking about how to do something like that in the driveway or front yard. The others look like normal motion sensors, amazon links, you are the man, I'll have to look into the sensors. They seem straight forward but I'll pick your brain if I have issues getting them working haha.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
For Motion Sensors, Amazon.com: Optex OP-08CBL Passive IR Door Sensor, Black: Home Improvement

I like that one because it does not reach out very far and is really easy to configure, and it picks up wildlife.. I paint the case white and shove it up under soffits and it wont set off unless something comes up pretty close, and then its fast.. the small pattern allows you to target chokes/hotspots and avoid trees,landscaping/traffic/etc.

Indoors I am fond of the Bosch TriTech Pet immune ones, like this: : Amazon.com : BOSCH SECURITY VIDEO ISC-BDL2-WP12G TriTech Motion Detector : Camera & Photo and I been thinking of trying one outside and sealing it up my self.
Lol you're my freaking hero man for real, I knew I'd get along with a fellow computer nerd.