Processor

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I am starting to spec out a new Blue Iris server, and I see that they have added hardware acceleration. I'd like to build this server to handle up to maybe 25 cameras or so with breathing room. Would a CPU like this be able to handle it do you think? I don't know how much lower the hardware acceleration lowers the cpu, this would be all 3mp cameras but maybe add some 4mp in the future, I currently run them at 10fps. This CPU does have the intel quick sync video technology.

Amazon.com: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 [BX80662I76700K]: Computers & Accessories

I know it's out of stock but it's just an idea. Also it would be cool if Ken adds support for using external video cards like Nvidia cuda tech or something, then we could just buy gigantic video cards to offload everything to, and SLi them and stuff haha. Also what am I looking at ram wise? I would probably just throw 32 gig in it because ram isn't that expensive anymore but yeah. Also what are people doing for hardware setups? WD purple? Windows server storage pools?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I am starting to spec out a new Blue Iris server, and I see that they have added hardware acceleration. I'd like to build this server to handle up to maybe 25 cameras or so with breathing room. Would a CPU like this be able to handle it do you think? I don't know how much lower the hardware acceleration lowers the cpu, this would be all 3mp cameras but maybe add some 4mp in the future, I currently run them at 10fps. This CPU does have the intel quick sync video technology.

Amazon.com: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 [BX80662I76700K]: Computers & Accessories

I know it's out of stock but it's just an idea. Also it would be cool if Ken adds support for using external video cards like Nvidia cuda tech or something, then we could just buy gigantic video cards to offload everything to, and SLi them and stuff haha. Also what am I looking at ram wise? I would probably just throw 32 gig in it because ram isn't that expensive anymore but yeah. Also what are people doing for hardware setups? WD purple? Windows server storage pools?
These can generally be found for around 500..HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop Computer - Intel Core i7-6700 - 8GB - 1TB HDD | eBay
you cannot build a system that cheap...
25 3mp is a large load...you will have to use at least 2 storage disks...if you keep it at 10fps and 75mp total it should work..
discrete cards are huge power hogs and inefficient.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't buy HP it's garbage !!!
You really have no clue...that is a business class hp system..between my blue iris systems and office systems I have close to 50 of these running....
They include US support and 3 year next business day warranties....

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a reason HP almost went out of business and stopped making pcs, get a dell or build your own . Look at hp did with the tablet market . They have always been junk!! Next you will want a compaq also junk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a reason HP almost went out of business and stopped making pcs, get a dell or build your own . Look at hp did with the tablet market . They have always been junk!! Next you will want a compaq also junk
Once again you simply dont know what you are talking about. These are business class machines. Built exceptionally well. I have many of these running 24/7 some for 3 years+ (8200/8300 series) with no issues...you are simply making up crap based on one or two bad experiences likely on home machines. You do understand that they are not using the same components as 10 years ago. You also understand that MOST pc parts are made by the same manufactures..the processor/hard drive/memory/power supply/motherboard are all made by the same few companies...the tablet market has NOTHING to do with pc's NOTHING. And for the record, a friend had the hp tablet running CM, for years before it finally died. The dell optiplex tower while also good, does not have room for two 3.5 drives like this unit.
Once again I have 50 of these in operation with no issues....its amazing how folks hold a grudge because they had a bad experience 10 years ago..

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been building computers all my life. I glad you love your 50 hp systems :) again their is a reason why they almost stopped making computers and that's cuz of the complaints of their systems. Do a quick google search and you will see all the people that hate them cuz they make junk, again their is a simple reason for this, Do you see Apple or dell or any good computer company going out of business? I leave you with some link ..

Why is HP so crap? | Overclockers Forums

HP LAPTOPS SUCK - HERE'S WHY - Forums

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-do-hp-computers-suck.151765/

Yeah really good company here...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/hp_printer.html

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been building computers all my life. I glad you love your 50 hp systems :) again their is a reason why they almost stopped making computers and that's cuz of the complaints of their systems. Do a quick google search and you will see all the people that hate them cuz they make junk, again their is a simple reason for this, Do you see Apple or dell or any good computer company going out of business? I leave you with some link ..

Why is HP so crap? | Overclockers Forums

HP LAPTOPS SUCK - HERE'S WHY - Forums

Why do HP computers suck????

Yeah really good company here...

Top 459 Complaints and Reviews about HP Printers
I also built my own systems...waste of time and lots of money. It is clear to me that you NEVER used an HP business system. Your assertion that they almost went out of the business of manufacturing pc's because they had quality issues is ludicrous. Do you understand the complexity of a multinational technology company?
Really your "proof" is a thread on a forum? The fact that you link to these silly sources proves my point.
Stop with this misleading nonsense. The hp business systems are superb. And if you need to call support for any reason you get an AMERICAN in the US. Not the same with dell business.
Comparing laptops to desktops is apples and oranges...for the record I have a few probooks and elitebooks in service. No issues. You really have no clue.
There are MANY users here with HP business systems at my recommendation that run perfectly. You are welcome to waste your money and time building your own.
EDIT:FYI, one of your forum links is from 2004 the other 2003...please. Stop being silly.

Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone you thinks they will get a quality desktop system that's REFURBISHED for under 600.00 on eBay is a idiot . First off why ever would you need a slim dvdrw? (Shows the age of this system ) thats only 2005 . hdd only at 1tb? really hard drives are cheap The minimum these days is a 2tb with a ssd @256 . This system is not premium professional or whatever you wanna call it. It is junk that you prob are selling yourself to make a dollar . Good luck !

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll volunteer my experience. I've got some great advice on this forum. I wanted to keep my costs low so I bought an earlier generation HP Elite 8300 with a 3rd generation i7-3770 CPU specifically for Blue Iris. I found my HP on craigslist for $225. You can find these on eBay all the time. All I added was a 4tb WD purple HD. This HP has been working without issue for about a year with BI. I'm running 9 cams at approx 30% CPU utilization.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone you thinks they will get a quality desktop system that's REFURBISHED for under 600.00 on eBay is a idiot . First off why ever would you need a slim dvdrw? (Shows the age of this system ) thats only 2005 . hdd only at 1tb? really hard drives are cheap The minimum these days is a 2tb with a ssd @256 . This system is not premium professional or whatever you wanna call it. It is junk that you prob are selling yourself to make a dollar . Good luck !
Another completely foolish comment. They are not refurbished in the sense that they were repaired. Most of the systems I get are in new condition with zero signs of use. I picked up an elitedesk i7-6700 tower with a 256gb ssd for 400!! yes with windows 7 AND 10 pro licenses. My system has a NEXT BUSINESS DAY ON SITE warranty though 2019!!!!
Why would anyone need a dvd drive? you again are showcasing your foolishness. Many businesses need dvd drives. My firm gets tons of information sent to us on dvd/cd. Where do you suggest we stick it? The dvd drive is OPTIONAL.
These are business class systems. 1tb is WAY more than enough.
Your comments evidence a basic lack of knowledge about premium BUSINESS systems and you sound more like a child gamer.
Are you suggesting that I sell pc's on ebay? You are a complete idiot.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another completely foolish comment. They are not refurbished in the sense that they were repaired. Most of the systems I get are in new condition with zero signs of use. I picked up an elitedesk i7-6700 tower with a 256gb ssd for 400!! yes with windows 7 AND 10 pro licenses.
Why would anyone need a dvd drive? you again are talking like a fool. Many businesses need dvd drives. My firm gets tons of information sent to us on dvd/cd. Where do you suggest we stick it? The dvd drive is OPTIONAL.
These are business class systems. 1tb is WAY more than enough.
Your comments evidence a basic lack of knowledge about premium BUSINESS systems and you sound more like a child gamer.
Are you suggesting that I sell pc's on ebay? You are a complete idiot.
So your saying this is your link/post to eBay??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So your saying this is your link/post to eBay??
What are you talking about. Its not my link. I dont sell anything on ebay. I dont sell pc's. I dont make my living on anything technology related. You are the one who made a FALSE accusation.
The link i posted is sold by pcrush http://www.pcrush.com/
They are a volume seller of electronics. I have no connection to them. Good god.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is nothing but a very low end system at a high price higher your standards

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is nothing but a very low end system at a high price higher your standards
Once again. A baseless comment by an amateur. You really have no clue. Let me prove you wrong.
State why this system is "low end"?
How it a 400-500 dollar i7-6700 high priced. You cannot build it for less unless you STEAL the OS. And even then you cant come close.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once again. A baseless comment by an amateur. You really have no clue. Let me prove you wrong.
State why this system is "low end"?
How it a 400-500 dollar i7-6700 high priced. You cannot build it for less unless you STEAL the OS. And even then you cant come close.

You just love being right don't you ? You won't let this go unless you have the very last word. Well good for you ! I would really love to sat on here and debate this with you but I fortunately I have a full time job a wife and kids. So we will pick this up tomorrow cuz it's getting late here. Ps hp is really junk :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You just love being right don't you ? You won't let this go unless you have the very last word. Well good for you ! I would really love to sat on here and debate this with you but I fortunately I have a full time job a wife and kids. So we will pick this up tomorrow cuz it's getting late here. Ps hp is really junk :)
I wont let you purposely mislead this forum with FALSE information bases on your nonexistant "experience" and threads from 2003 and 2004 that prove your point.
Once you realized that you cannot support your claim that the system is low end with any facts (because its not) you move to the insults and that its getting late. I'm willing to bet that its simply past your bedtime and the folks are yelling at you.
The one thing I hate most is folks like you who intentionally mislead others with no basis in fact.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wont let you purposely mislead this forum with FALSE information bases on your nonexistant "experience" and threads from 2003 and 2004 that prove your point.
Once you realized that you cannot support your claim that the system is low end with any facts (because its not) you move to the insults and that its getting late. I'm willing to bet that its simply past your bedtime and the folks are yelling at you.
The one thing I hate most is folks like you who intentionally mislead others with no basis in fact.

Yup so right... make your dollar

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup so right... make your dollar
Are you accusing me of selling systems on ebay? and lying about it? if so let me know now. Ill simply ban you. I will not stand for that bullshit.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
You really have no clue...that is a business class hp system..between my blue iris systems and office systems I have close to 50 of these running....
They include US support and 3 year next business day warranties....
Nice, that's not bad at ALL, 2 disks is fine, the WD purple's are pretty cheap, I'll have to decide how long I want to keep recordings for, I'm thinking probably only a week at absolute most but we will see how much drive that requires. Hell I'm willing to spend a grand on the system if it will handle all of the cameras easily. I dunno if you can get a beefier CPU setup though without going dual CPU's on a server board haha.