Production line. What camera should I get?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just discovered this place and thought this might be where I get some help.
First I got to tell you English is not my first language so I hope I'll make myself understandable!

We are a small company in the meat industry (chicken) and I've been asked to install a camera for the managers to see the quality of the chicken coming (live) in our cutting department.

The way we are setup, the camera would have to be at about 10 feet from the ducks line. The thing is, we need to have a good enough quality to see the details on the skin.

Say like this:

(sorry vegetarian)

Is this something feasible (remember, the camera as to be 10 feet away) without breaking the bank (<500$)?
I have a reolink RLC-411 (4x optical zoom) that I'm gonna try but from some early testing I doubt the quality would be enough. I know there are probably special cameras designed for these application but the budget I've been allowed to use is probably nowhere near enough for these...

(Edit)
Needed: IP66, POE and ONVIF
Not needed: Night vision, motion detection.

What do you experts think?

Thanks!

Last edited:

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The best image quality will come from a larger sensor. To that end, look at the IPC-HF8835F (Micro Four-Thirds). You can mount your own 4/3" lens to give you the field of view you need from the installed location. More info here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answer. This plus lens would bust my budget...Maybe what I'm asking for is impossible too.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to say that the reolink RLC-411 is perfectly doing what we wanted.

That thing is about 100$ US...
Can't beat it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to say that the reolink RLC-411 is perfectly doing what we wanted.

That thing is about 100$ US...
Can't beat it.
reolink is a garbage camera from a garbage company avoid at all costs...there are much better options at 100....good luck

Reaction score
reolink is a garbage camera from a garbage company avoid at all costs...there are much better options at 100....good luck
OK. We'll see how it holds. It's not a critical cam for our operation.
And thanks for the many suggestion for the other better options...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. We'll see how it holds. It's not a critical cam for our operation.
And thanks for the many suggestion for the other better options...
you are welcome, this forum is full of suggestions...there is a single caveat - you cant be lazy to search....do as you please, my point was to warn others who my come across this thread...do a simple search of reolink on this forum and you will learn all about their, lies, spamming, fake amazon reviews...whether the camera is critical is irrelevant...its a garbage camera from a garbage company...you got suckered.

Reaction score
Thanks

Still haven't found a POE, ONVIF, IP66, 4 x Optical zoom camera for 100$.

I'll keep searching (as I will probably need more cams).

Last edited:
Reaction score
just a thought, but how fast is the line moving? this will determine the frame rate you need to be able to capture a good image. I have some good cameras from both Hikvision and Dahua on moving lines, but they are nowhere near 100 bucks, more like 600 bucks.

alternatively, you could go with a machine vision camera, but those are analog.

Reaction score
just a thought, but how fast is the line moving? this will determine the frame rate you need to be able to capture a good image. I have some good cameras from both Hikvision and Dahua on moving lines, but they are nowhere near 100 bucks, more like 600 bucks.

alternatively, you could go with a machine vision camera, but those are analog.
Yeah. I don't know the line speed. I'll try to find out. But like I said, even though Reolink sucks (I have to believe fenderman with his 22000 comment and 5000 likes) but the RLC-411 is perfectly doing what we want. Until it stops working apparently...
I guess I have to search for a camera with similar spec for the same price. Fenderman said there are plenty of better options.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't know the line speed. I'll try to find out. But like I said, even though Reolink sucks (I have to believe fenderman with his 22000 comment and 5000 likes) but the RLC-411 is perfectly doing what we want. Until it stops working apparently...
I guess I have to search for a camera with similar spec for the same price. Fenderman said there are plenty of better options.
There are...what can't you believe? That I pointed out that reolink is garbage?