Professional Installation cost using BI

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please delete if not allowed. I'm curious on average what someone would charge to professionally install a 4 camera/8 Camera system using BlueIris with the following materials:

4/8 GW 5MP cameras (retail at $105/ea)
4/8 poe switch
Computer (buisiness refurbished dell i5/i7 computer)
BI license key
3/6TB HD
All the misc cables and wall switches needed for clean install
Installed in residential home

Everything I can find is around $1100 for a 4 cam system in Florida. But what I can't find is if that's just install cost or install plus EQ. I can't imagine that total cost. I know prices vary greatly based on the equipment used, that's why I gave example of a $105 retail priced camera.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
$105 for a 5mp camera, it must be a piece of crap lol. No idea, I've thought about going into business doing it but it's hard to find people who aren't super cheap, nobody wants to pay for anything better than that analog shit kits from home depot

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont buy gw cameras...
Cost of installation of any vms varies greatly...
but the gear yourself, have someone run QUALITY solid copper cable and install the cameras...
Setup blue iris yourself and learn the program so you are not hapless when you need to change a setting.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
4x cameras at $105 each = $420
4 port PoE switch = $50
Cheap refurbished computer = $150 (this would be like a 3rd gen i3/i5, not exactly state of the art)
BI License = $60
3 TB Western Digital Purple = $110
Cables/etc lets assume $25 each camera = $100

Total parts = $890

I don't see how any installer is going to do that for $1100. If someone is advertising a 4 camera system installed for $1100 they are probably installing some junky all-in-one kit that cost them under $400

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If someone is advertising a 4 camera system installed for $1100 they are probably installing some junky all-in-one kit that cost them under $400
And running wires exposed....its amazing what you will see..

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please delete if not allowed. I'm curious on average what someone would charge to professionally install a 4 camera/8 Camera system using BlueIris with the following materials:

4/8 poe switch
BI license key
3/6TB HD

Everything I can find is around $1100 for a 4 cam system in Florida. But what I can't find is if that's just install cost or install plus EQ. I can't imagine that total cost. I know prices vary greatly based on the equipment used, that's why I gave example of a $105 retail priced camera.
It's depends on a few factors... where do you live, rural or bfe... distance for each run, and how/what it is being ran with... brick wall using conduit, in wall using drywall.... commercial vs residential, why don't you call around for quotes by a low voltage installer? I've never seen any runs cheaper then 110/each for labor....and upwards of 300 for difficult, long runs... not including anything crazy like trenching or boring if going under concrete. Finding someone to do the network install/configuration could be the same person or someone completely different.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

4/8 poe switch
BI license key
3/6TB HD

Here is what I paid back in 2014 for a 6 camera Hikvision system. I installed it myself and figured it took me over 50 hours (I had no experience). A pro could probably do it in less than half that time. I don't know how installers price it out (job or by the hour) I used $50/hour.

Cat 5 e Burided cable 1000 ft + connectors

$ 186.51

PVC conduit and connectors

$ 100.00

Cat 5 E punch down jacks

$ 24.82

Patch Panel and brackets

$ 58.26

Assorted Cat 5E cables

$ 31.71

8 Port POE+ switch

$ 160.99

8 Port POE switch (4 ports POE)

$ 45.24

Back up UPS

$ 133.14

Dell Computer XPS-8700 i7-4770, 12 GB Ram

$ 973.15

WD Purple 3TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive

$ 139.64

Total without cameras

$ 1,853.46

3 Hikvision cameras (USA bought 2032s)

$ 503.97

3 Hikvision cameras (China bought 2032s)

$ 266.96

Total with cameras

$ 2,624.39

Labor - I estimated it took over 50 hours to

lay the conduit, run the cables to it , install

keystone jacks, wire the punch down panel,

and install the cameras

Estimated cost of what the labor would cost

at $50/hour (50hours X$50/hour

$ 2,500.00

Total costs (parts and installation)

$ 5,124.39

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is I'm actually opening a camera install business on the side but there isn't much out here for pricing. I've been in networking for 10+ years and have a very good knowledge of running cable through walls and in attics.

The reason I'm thinking of a side job is I've showed my 6 camera system to a few people and they are wanting me to do theirs. In my area there is NO company within a 50+ mile radius doing this.

I was thinking a 30-40% equipment markup plus somewhere between $75-150 per camera depending on the difficulty of install. I can run a cat5e cable down a soffit and drop it down a wall and terminate the ends in less than 45 minutes. I'm just trying to see what most companies charge for this kind of work so I can charge comparable. In my area in FL theres next to no competition in this area to determine pricing. What do most companies look at netting on a job for a 4/6/8 cameras install? I was looking at around 950/1200/1450 respectively. Is that too much or too low?

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did my 6 cameras setup in my house in less than 8 hours and that includes a lot of time tinkering with the BI setting not knowing wth I was doing at the time.