Programmable camera

Reaction score
I am considering a solution where I need to deploy a range of non-expensive outdoor wifi cameras. I need these cameras to push a steady stream of jpeg images to a server in AWS (for continual computer vision processing). In order to avoid port forwarding nightmares, I would prefer to simply have the cameras push at regular intervals ( 1 images/sec ). Ideally, I the push operation could be performed by a smalls script running on the camera, such that I could implement a simple back-off mechanism if load on server gets to high etc.

I have scoured Alibaba for a camera that could be minimally programmed, but have yet to find any.
Does anyone have any good pointers for an outdoor (ip66) WIFI camera that could perform the above?

thanks,
Peter

Reaction score
tangent -- thanks for your reply. How would that work? Would the camera itself connect into the VPN?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tangent -- thanks for your reply. How would that work? Would the camera itself connect into the VPN?
No. But you could create a secure tunnel to AWS. Either allowing the server to connect to your home network or connecting the cameras to AWS.

You'd need a pretty fast internet upload to attempt any of this. To me trying to run the image processing server local makes more sense.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..I have scoured Alibaba for a camera that could be minimally programmed, but have yet to find any.
Does anyone have any good pointers for an outdoor (ip66) WIFI camera that could perform the above?
Hi Peter

Let us know what you find out, there seems to be a few hacked versions of code for some cameras - but I am not certain if this will be an easy quest.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can schedule cameras to upload usually by ftp at a regular interval. But most wouldn't be able to upload that fast. You can proxy the mjpeg stream if you want boost security some before you forward ports.

Reaction score
Are you putting these at different locations where you may only have 1 per location? I am using a script I wrote on Linux to create an image off the RTSP at intervals and then it creates a time-lapse MP4 video from those. This requires a small Linux device on the same network as the cameras.