project planning - automotive shop

Reaction score
That is a tough one. I generally view my cameras using BI UI3 on my office desktop on the first floor. My BI server is on the 2nd floor. All of my cameras are on a physically separate sub-net behind their own switches, with no access to the internet. The BI machine has two NICs. One for the camera sub-net and one connected to the rest of my home LAN. My office machine has a dual NIC motherboard and is connected to both the camera sub-net and the home LAN. When I RDP into the BI machine from my office PC, there is no delay that I can see (a person in the field of view is shown real-time on my RDP display of BI). If I use the BI UI3, there seems to be about a second or two of delay, someone walks up to the front door and is there before I see them on the UI3 display. But 30 seconds, never saw that.

When I am away from home, I login with Teamviewer. But there is no way for me to know how delayed that view is.

If you are on a different network (away from home?), how do you know it has a 30 second delay?

Reaction score
That is a tough one. I generally view my cameras using BI UI3 on my office desktop on the first floor. My BI server is on the 2nd floor. All of my cameras are on a physically separate sub-net behind their own switches, with no access to the internet. The BI machine has two NICs. One for the camera sub-net and one connected to the rest of my home LAN. My office machine has a dual NIC motherboard and is connected to both the camera sub-net and the home LAN. When I RDP into the BI machine from my office PC, there is no delay that I can see (a person in the field of view is shown real-time on my RDP display of BI). If I use the BI UI3, there seems to be about a second or two of delay, someone walks up to the front door and is there before I see them on the UI3 display. But 30 seconds, never saw that.

When I am away from home, I login with Teamviewer. But there is no way for me to know how delayed that view is.

If you are on a different network (away from home?), how do you know it has a 30 second delay?
Had my brother in law on the phone, he was logged in to UI3 and watching video, I was on site at the camera, describing changes in the scene and he was getting about a half minute lag. It was pretty strange.

Reaction score
I have never had the opportunity to try something out like that. So I do not know if this would happen on my system. I would think that going over the internet could impart delay to the video, but 30 seconds seems a lot.

So you were on site. I take it that the BI server is on site as well? So your BIL was using UI3 through a VPN or some other connection back to the BI machine?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a varifocal, motorized lens. It's function is to allow you to set the focal length to what you need rather than buying a fixed focal length lens that does not give you the view you need. In general, folks get the view they need and then never move it. While I do not know from experience, I have read here that over use of the motorized lens will ultimately cause it to fail.

Yes. I thought the same thing when I first started this hobby two years ago.
And blue iris, in the camera setup on the PTZ zoom tab select it and then turn on PTZ Owen vif and it'll work with a varifocals but I suggest turning it off once you get it set with the field of view that you want.

when accessing over the internet to view cameras all bets are off that all depends on several things between you and the remote connection. I'm not sure why you would use TeamViewer ui 3 interface is much better.

Reaction score
And blue iris, in the camera setup on the PTZ zoom tab select it and then turn on PTZ Owen vif and it'll work with a varifocals but I suggest turning it off once you get it set with the field of view that you want.

when accessing over the internet to view cameras all bets are off that all depends on several things between you and the remote connection. I'm not sure why you would use TeamViewer ui 3 interface is much better.
Not sure exactly which settings you mean. If PTZ ONVIF I did not find a specific camera listed like that. I haven't found any combination yet that lets me adjust the varifocal lens from the blue iris interface.

Perhaps, though, I need to look at some real PTZ cameras for a few areas that we want to cover. I am now more clear that the varifocal lens is designed to get the best field of view in a given location, then leave it alone for the most part.

I am interested in recommendations for a quality "starlight" Dahua 1080P or 2K PTZ camera. @empiretechandy do you have some to recommend?

Gerald