project planning - automotive shop

Reaction score
Hello all,

We operate an automotive repair shop. We want to add inside and outside video surveillance for monitoring and remote access, day and night. Originally, I planned to use Ubiquiti gear - but am having pause over Ubiquiti's abandoning of their "Video" platform and not sure if "Protect" has feature parity. Also, as I read more, it seems that the Ubiquiti's cameras may not be the best bang for buck...

Low light image quality and good optical performance are more important to me than lots of pixels. I am finding the Hikvision and Dahua camera models challenging to sort out.

Was looking at this:

and

Also some of Hikvisions "Darkfighter" series:

I would appreciate suggestions. I want to use current tech - what's the best bang for buck in the $150-$200 range per camera? Can I get anything really good for low light for less than $150 each?

The Blue Iris software looks promising. I was hoping to run a Linux VM, but not opposed to using a Windows NVR system.

Looking forward to hearing your input!

Gerald

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Welcome.

See the Cliff Notes and the WIKI.

You can search the threads for reviews of cameras. Use the word Review in the search field.

The N44CB33 has a smaller CMOS, 1/3", which for a 4MP camera will not give good low light performance.

The N45EF63 has the 1/1.8" CMOS which seems to be the standard today for their 4MP lineup. It will definitely do better in low light than the N44CB33.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
read study plan before spending money

There are a significant number of camera reviews on the forum. Please read them.

Think of blue Iris as an NVR, a tool. Do not think of it as windows 10.
----------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Great help! I spent a couple of hours reading several long threads, especially about the Dahua 5442. I don't expect in my case I would want LED's illuminated, but there is some ambient light from parking lot lighting, night lights inside the building, etc.

Will the 5442 series or the HikVision ColorVu be a better choice (or maybe that's like asking if Honda or Toyota is better?)

I could probably use some 1080p equipment as well, if the low light performance is superior to the 4 mp versions.

Also - varifocal is an advantage to me. Bullet cams are OK, it's a small business.

@EMPIRETECANDY I will reach out to you by PM to get your recommendation and current best options. Forum members, we welcome your further input.

Gerald

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Great help! I spent a couple of hours reading several long threads, especially about the Dahua 5442. I don't expect in my case I would want LED's illuminated, but there is some ambient light from parking lot lighting, night lights inside the building, etc.

Will the 5442 series or the HikVision ColorVu be a better choice (or maybe that's like asking if Honda or Toyota is better?)

I could probably use some 1080p equipment as well, if the low light performance is superior to the 4 mp versions.

Also - varifocal is an advantage to me. Bullet cams are OK, it's a small business.

@EMPIRETECANDY I will reach out to you by PM to get your recommendation and current best options. Forum members, we welcome your further input.

Gerald
2MP use IPC-T3241T-ZAS, latest new one.
5442 model if no need LED, use the IR model, this is one of the best 4mp turret we have now, starlight.
Bullet also have some full color model, like IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI
Or use the Bullet PTZ IPC-B5442E-ZE, IPC-B5442T-ASE

Reaction score
2MP use IPC-T3241T-ZAS, latest new one.
5442 model if no need LED, use the IR model, this is one of the best 4mp turret we have now, starlight.
Bullet also have some full color model, like IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI
Or use the Bullet PTZ IPC-B5442E-ZE, IPC-B5442T-ASE
That's helpful! Could you provide links to each of those models in one of your stores?

Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY is communicating with me directly on this. Currently looking at IPC-B5442E-ZE as a top contender. Low light, varifocal, 4 MP is a well rounded out feature set. Are there any other favorites I should consider? What about Hikvision options - or is Dahua the way to go?

Reaction score
Ok folks, so I got a couple of the IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras, and bought Blue Iris. Have a camera connected and working fine. I have not been able to get the zoom (PTZ) control to work from inside Blue Iris though. What settings are important to make this work? I have it connected as an IP camera, using one of the Dahua presets. Is there a special ONVIF port that needs to be assigned?

Thanks for your help!

Gerald

Reaction score
And, one other question: There is a fair amount of fisheye type distortion in the image, is there a setting in the camera firmware itself to adjust, or does Blue Iris offer any lens correction?

Reaction score
Ok - so I knew it could not pan or tilt - but I thought the zoom control would work from the blue iris interface? Perhaps I assumed incorrectly?

Reaction score
It is a varifocal, motorized lens. It's function is to allow you to set the focal length to what you need rather than buying a fixed focal length lens that does not give you the view you need. In general, folks get the view they need and then never move it. While I do not know from experience, I have read here that over use of the motorized lens will ultimately cause it to fail.

Perhaps I assumed incorrectly?
Yes. I thought the same thing when I first started this hobby two years ago.

Reaction score
Any tips on lens distortion correction
I have not seen much. I do notice that when zoomed all the way out, like at 2.8mm, the edges can be curved. But I do not have the B5442. The only varifocals that I have are the HDW5231R-ZE and the HFW5241E-Z12E cameras and they are both 2MP not 4MP like the B5442.

Reaction score
Ok, another newbie question. What would cause my live view to be delayed as much as 30 seconds when accessing from a remote network? And messages about CPU usage causing delay? Are there some transcoding settings that should be set differently or disabled - or turned on? Right now, I'm trying to optimize remote viewing - not recording to disk yet, just live view.