Proper Way to Update Blue Iris?

smarty125

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok - I messed up. I updated BI through the "Check for Updates Now" button, and installed an update version (4.4.8.4 w32) that crashes BI. I likely need to "roll back" to something earlier....

I have no idea how to "roll back". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Within the "c:\program files\Blue Iris 4\" there is an "update.exe" file that seems to try check for, and pull in new updates ....but I see no way of rolling back (nor did I save each incremental update download....BTW, how would this be done??).

Thanks for any help...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok - I messed up. I updated BI through the "Check for Updates Now" button, and installed an update version (4.4.8.4 w32) that crashes BI. I likely need to "roll back" to something earlier....

I have no idea how to "roll back". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Within the "c:\program files\Blue Iris 4\" there is an "update.exe" file that seems to try check for, and pull in new updates ....but I see no way of rolling back (nor did I save each incremental update download....BTW, how would this be done??).

Thanks for any help...
Download your updates manually from the website...then you can rollback by running an older update file.

smarty125

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks....I guess I have just been lucky with never having an update problem before....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it also helps to wait a week or two for the dust to settle, check the 'whats new' subforum for any traffic/problems so you know what to expect and if its even worth attempting in the first place.

if the release dont include any fixes you need or any features you'll use; then you have little reason to update.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've only had My BI full install running for a month with one camera but I've just clicked yes whenever it pops up that an update is available.
The only issue it seems to cause for me is each time I lose outside the LAN connectivity to my phone app until I walk through the upnp port forwarding wizard again then it's fine.
At some point in the near future, once I get more cameras installed, I'm going to try to figure out the whole VPN thing and turn off all port forwarding and upnp per a lot of recommendations on this site.

Reaction score
Is there a place on the BI website that has historic updates so that I might skip back a couple of numbers instead of me keeping all the old ones?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a place on the BI website that has historic updates so that I might skip back a couple of numbers instead of me keeping all the old ones?
No..the update files are tiny...no reason not to keep a few old ones.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there formal release notes for the updates? I know fenderman provides some basic ones on the forum, but I can't find anything on their website outside the "most recent features" bullet list. It would really help determine if an update should be installed or left go. If I missed it, my apologies.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there formal release notes for the updates? I know fenderman provides some basic ones on the forum, but I can't find anything on their website outside the "most recent features" bullet list. It would really help determine if an update should be installed or left go. If I missed it, my apologies.
The information I post is located in the whats new section of the blue iris help file..there is no other info published.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I never thought to look there. Don't you have to install it to gain access to the help file?