Proposed setup advice needed, 6 Hik cams w. Audio + NVR +24/7 recording

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

Im looking to setup a full CCTV system for a family member who prefers things to "just work", they're looking to remotely connect so they can check on the house when away, audio is a requirement and they would prefer 24/7 recording.

I've messed around with a few Hik cameras already routing them to Blue Iris and my Nexus 6, all good so far and I think i've got a reasonable grasp but wanted a sanity check before I spend someone else's money.

For the system I was thinking of:

6 x Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS (audio)
1 x DS-7608NI-E2
2 x 3TB WD purple drives

Are they a good match and work well together, any problems?
Are there better choices for similar money?
Anything I should consider given the audio and 24/7 requirements.

All help appreciated

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
24/7 recording. Better off getting 1x 4TB and adding another 4TB later if needed.

Why the IWS and not just IS?

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good spot, copy and paste error from the Hik site, the IS would make a more suitable choice and probably be cheaper.

Talking of which, are there any recommended sites/suppliers to buy from, Amazon seems pricey. I've bought from Alibaba in the past but the provider I got my last cam from has disappeared.

Interesting that you recommend 1 HDD, any particular reason?

Wouldn't 2 drives give greater speed (Raid0) or more resilience (Raid1), actually do the NVRs even do Raid? I presume they must do something for the 2 drives.

Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember that the camera will require an external mic...also domes are prone to ir reflection issues.
I would recommend the dahua turret with built in mic that is discussed in a recent thread....and a dahua NVR.

sygad1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By any chance do you have the link to the thread?