Protecting a Camera from Theft

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anything exist that can be used to protect a camera from being stolen? I was considering having something made, but the person I went to told me that such things already exist.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anything exist that can be used to protect a camera from being stolen? I was considering having something made, but the person I went to told me that such things already exist.
Why do you suspect that the camera will be stolen?

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you live in a country where $32 a month is considered just above the poverty level, everything is something that can potentially be stolen.

On top of that, there may be someone who simply does not like its presence and may try to do something out of spite.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you live in a country where $32 a month is considered just above the poverty level, everything is something that can potentially be stolen.

On top of that, there may be someone who simply does not like its presence and may try to do something out of spite.
There is no way to absolutely prevent the theft...you can install a camera cage to deter it...if someone doesnt like its presence all they need is a can of spray paint..you are over thinking it.

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I though the same thing. However, if I could see a picture of something that would work, I could probably have one made for cheap. Labor here is inexpensive.

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking of having something like this made. Do you have any experience with them? Do the bars tend to block the view? I suspect that maybe the bars could interfere with the infrared too.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Use external IR, also caged. Turn off intetnal IR. Have overlapping coverage of cameras so they can protect each other. Also have tamper alarms set on each camera so that if they're disconnected or painted over you get a text, email, or siren warning. Live monitoring of the cams for intruders also works well. If this seems like too much expense/bother for a Foscam and the property being protected then don't bother with anything except the tamper alarms. They're a great warning that someone is about to steal your cams and/or other stuff.

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have any links to some inexpensive tamper alarms?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
They are built into the NVR or software used to record the video.

bedouin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, I have that setup using SecuritySpy in OS X. I thought you were referring to some kind of physical device.