PSA: Beware of Auto Upgrade

Reaction score
This morning at 6:00am my BI instance upgraded to the latest, stable version (5.6.2.10). That is how I have it set up. Never had an issue until this upgrade. When I got on my desktop PC for my daily grind, my UI3 would not connect. So I logged in to my BI machine.

BI was up but was not recording. A pop up window was displayed asking if I wanted to install the AI libraries. Until you either click Yes or No, it does not record. So I missed over 4 hours of video this morning.

I did not know this would happen. No big deal, but if some folks don't check every day, you could be in for a big surprise.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just pulled up UI3 for my daily review, nada, off to the console to make some changes.

ETA: Same as OP, had the AI message on screen and no recordings after the ticked BI box with update check time.

ETA2: I was set up for critical and highly stable updates only.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Just updated and I am not seeing this behavior. UI3 loaded up just fine.

I am already running Code Project AI. I wonder if that is why I wasn't forced to download anything related to AI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Am I wrong for not upgrading for months at a time?
No you are not. Many of us are on older versions. Heck many still run version 4 just fine.

I am one of many that stay on a version that works for you and not update until something was added that you wanted or needed or thought was cool.

In my case when they added substreams, that was a game changer for CPU usage so I updated. Then when Deepstack came about, I upgraded as that allowed me to turn my non AI cameras into a better tool to eliminate false triggers.

For my use, Deepstack is perfect and my system runs great, so I am still on 5.5.something (one or two versions before SenseAI was introduced).

At some point I will either find the time to switch to SenseAI, but that will probably be the next time BI adds something that I think is worth it to my system. Until then, I will remain on an older version, but I do still renew the subscription so that new stuff can be added because BI will add something I want at some point.

Reaction score
Am I wrong for not upgrading for months at a time?
Not a problem. I have always had it set like below. It only upgrades once a newer 'Highly Stable' update is available.

1666905097758.png

But I am now changing it to 'No update prompts' to limit today's issue.

I only upgrade if I'm at the console. No auto upgrades permitted here.
Do you use 'No update prompts' or 'No automatic updates'? I can't see anything in the help file that tells you the difference. I am worried that 'No automatic updates' would put up a pop-up and could stop BI until you answer that pop-up. So right now I have changed to 'No update prompts'.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use "no automatic updates". I believe "No update prompts" means it will do what it says, update and not say that it did.