***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Always start on the camera

Basic rule:
If it can be done on the camera, do it there first.

Beyond that we’d need to know more. NVR and camera models….?

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Always start on the camera

Basic rule:
If it can be done on the camera, do it there first.

Beyond that we’d need to know more. NVR and camera models….?
EmpireTech NVR8CH-8P-2AI 8 Channels 1U 8PoE 2HDD Network Video Recorder,
This is a POE NVR I purchased for my office. When it is there, cameras will be connected to the POE ports.
BUT, I brought it home to learn how to set it up. Cameras are connected through my home network.Only Dahua cameras connected of different models.
Currently - 1 Dahua IPC-EW5541-AS, 2-IPC-HDW5442TM, 1- DH-IPC-EBW81242-AS-S2
I want the Nvr to record motion, (Smart motion?) Events only.
I am not sure what the setting is on cameras to send this info to Nvr? And what settings need to be on Nvr?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Log into the camera directly as shown on page 1 post #1 of this thread and image below
NVRwithPoEportsinuse.jpg

Log into the camera, you will see a menu for 'Events" that will allow you to enable MD and then SMD.

On the NVR under "Storage" you will set the recording functions
See page #1 of this thread, post #2

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Log into the camera directly as shown on page 1 post #1 of this thread and image below
View attachment 169981

Log into the camera, you will see a menu for 'Events" that will allow you to enable MD and then SMD.

On the NVR under "Storage" you will set the recording functions
See page #1 of this thread, post #2
Sorry, do not see that under Event on Dahua cameras. What I do see is under Storage, Destination. I have it set for my SD card. But, do I also select NAS for the NVR? But on the - DH-IPC-EBW81242-AS-S2 , I only see local storage listed.
I think I am confused when you say log into camera directly. Your image seems to show doing this from Nvr?

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By clicking on the blue "e " shown in the NVR's image; that will launch the camera's webGUI.
Yes, I just use the browser. But, I do not see the settings you talk about in my cameras. I primarily use motion detection to SD card. Want the NVR to record motion detection only also.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes that shows logging into cameras via the Dahua NVR
I missed that you don’t have the cameras connected to the NVR yet. When you do, follow the instructions on page 1 to setup recording on the NVR.

There are two sets of controls and many functions can be accessed in both the camera and the NVR interface. Always use the camera interface where possible.

It can be confusing, but basically you only need to use the camera UI for recording settings when you have an SD card in it.

To record on the NVR as well, you set the recording schedule on the NVR
01.jpg 02.jpg 02-b.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

But the actual MD/SMD settings you should make on the camera. It will relay that info back to the NVR.
On the camera you first enable MD, then enable SMD. They work together. SMD overrules MD in that you can set it to only pick up Humans or vehicles. Regular MD by itself will pick up ANYTHING that moves. Look at SMD as a filter on top of MD.

Depending on your firmware, on the camera, you'll see one of these screens to set MD
camerarecordMD1-new.jpg camerarecordMD2-new.jpg camerarecordMD3-new.jpg camerarecordMD4-new.jpg

OR

camerarecordMD1-old.jpg camerarecordMD2-old.jpg camerarecordMD3-old.jpg

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that shows logging into cameras via the Dahua NVR
I missed that you don’t have the cameras connected to the NVR yet. When you do, follow the instructions on page 1 to setup recording on the NVR.

There are two sets of controls and many functions can be accessed in both the camera and the NVR interface. Always use the camera interface where possible.

It can be confusing, but basically you only need to use the camera UI for recording settings when you have an SD card in it.

To record on the NVR as well, you set the recording schedule on the NVR
View attachment 170017 View attachment 170018 View attachment 170019 View attachment 170020 View attachment 170021

But the actual MD/SMD settings you should make on the camera. It will relay that info back to the NVR.
On the camera you first enable MD, then enable SMD. They work together. SMD overrules MD in that you can set it to only pick up Humans or vehicles. Regular MD by itself will pick up ANYTHING that moves. Look at SMD as a filter on top of MD.

Depending on your firmware, on the camera, you'll see one of these screens to set MD
View attachment 170025 View attachment 170024 View attachment 170023 View attachment 170022

OR

View attachment 170028 View attachment 170027 View attachment 170026
What I am concerned with is setting the destination for the event to get it to the NVR? Does that make sense? I have SD card selected on the cameras. Then in storage there is also options for NAS, and FTP. But nothing for NVR. So are you saying by selecting MD in NVR, it will automatically record camera triggered events?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
By simply plugging the cameras into the NVR and setting the master recording schedules as previously outlined, the NVR will record what the camera detects as MD as long as it’s enabled on the camera.

No need to go and set MD again on the nvr

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By simply plugging the cameras into the NVR and setting the master recording schedules as previously outlined, the NVR will record what the camera detects as MD as long as it’s enabled on the camera.

No need to go and set MD again on the nvr
Does this apply also if cameras are not plugged directly to Nvr POE ports as well?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Comes down to HD size and how long you want to retain footage.

Most record full time plus MD or better, IVS.
IVS Tripwire/Intrusion will give you 100X less false positives than MD. And SMD doesnt work as well as Human filter on IVS most will tell you

Personally, if it happened more than 2 weeks ago I probably dont give a shit. Assume you can check your recordings remotely?

HD space is relatively cheap. Recording will continually overwrite when HD is full. a couple of 6TB or 8TB drives and 4 cameras should save at least 4-6 weeks before overwriting...

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Comes down to HD size and how long you want to retain footage.

Most record full time plus MD or better, IVS.
IVS Tripwire/Intrusion will give you 100X less false positives than MD. And SMD doesnt work as well as Human filter on IVS most will tell you

Personally, if it happened more than 2 weeks ago I probably dont give a shit. Assume you can check your recordings remotely?

HD space is relatively cheap. Recording will continually overwrite when HD is full. a couple of 6TB or 8TB drives and 4 cameras should save at least 4-6 weeks before overwriting...
I put a 10TB drive in the Nvr. My understanding is a second drive in this model is for back-up only. So, won`t increase my storage time.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2x 10TB drives and it's as if I have 20TB. 26 cameras recording 24/7 holds 3 weeks for me with the resolution (all different) I have them at.
Maybe you have a different model NVR from me. Asked the question of Andy. Waiting for his reply. Thank You