PSA - Serious issue in 4.2.6.6 - Camera signal lost - update to 4.2.6.7

xyrgh

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, bear with me here.

All today (appeared since 4.2.6.6 installed) I've been getting lost signal all day on all six cameras. I've spent the evening testing, ensured BI had the latest version, turned watchdog off on all cameras, all was good on that end.

Checked all my cables with a proper cable tester, upgraded the firmware on my PoE router, reset to factory settings, no change. Router log says that the port state is changing from up to down, which is different from when the cable is unplugged, something is forcing a restart on the cameras. The log was full of these, each camera restarting every three minutes.

Disabled the BI service, closed BI, waited two hours and zero additional disconnects of the cameras in the logs.

I've just gone and checked again and there's been a 4.2.6.7 release in the last couple of hours. I've checked the 'what's new' and no mention of any updates/hotfixes, so I assume the update was rushed out to fix this issue. Given that 4.2.6.6 has only been out a few days, some people might not even catch this, just a friendly heads up as I spent about four hours this evening trying to fix the issue.

Zed273

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup, been fighting with this all morning. Then the update came out and fixed things.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems 4.2.6.7 fixed my issues.. one of them oops updates

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Didn't have any problems with 4.2.6.6 here but did update to 4.2.6.7 a little while ago.
4.2.6.6 does/did have a nasty bug. My cameras keep restarting to the point I thought my PoE switch was bad. I finally disabled BI and the problem went away, so I went back to a previous working version to fix the problem. Updated to 4.2.6.7 and no more problems.

xyrgh

n3wb
Reaction score
4.2.6.6 does/did have a nasty bug. My cameras keep restarting to the point I thought my PoE switch was bad. I finally disabled BI and the problem went away, so I went back to a previous working version to fix the problem. Updated to 4.2.6.7 and no more problems.
Yep, it almost gave me a heart attack, my PoE switch is around $1,000 and only 8 months old, was going to be annoyed as heck having to RMA it, thankfully just a software issue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I admitt I was temped, but I guess there really should be a revert back to prior version button, so system can be kept running easily.
As helpful as such a button would be, sometimes it actually makes the problems worse because the registry entries have already been changed for some new update and are no longer 100% compatible with older versions!!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
As helpful as such a button would be, sometimes it actually makes the problems worse because the registry entries have already been changed for some new update and are no longer 100% compatible with older versions!!
I see what your saying, but pumping out volumes of updates with registry changes, why not be more careful? What you say all sounds logical, but just look at todays software's robustness compared to BI. Then advise the team on a better path.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see what your saying, but pumping out volumes of updates with registry changes, why not be more careful? What you say all sounds logical, but just look at todays software's robustness compared to BI. Then advise the team on a better path.
If you want to advise the "team" on a better path then why dont you send the developer an email. BI is just as robust as any other software if you are not a fool and update with each incremental update, even if you do its super stable. This has been addressed a thousand times over. It seems that you dont have the technical skill to do this yourself so I will offer once again to login to your system via teamviewer and disable your auto update.

Please dont fabricate information about blue iris not being "robust" based on a few folks who had an issue on this SUPPORT forum out of thousands of users. There are HUNDREDS of posts about hikvision NVR's with issues, does that mean they are not "robust"?

I personally have never encounter an instance where installing a prior update did not resolve an issue (and I have only seen one or two folks say they could not revert back and its likely user error).
Blue iris is doing what is RIGHT. The developer offer the OPTION for updates. Your constant nagging about this OPTIONAL function is silly to say the least.

Let me explain further. When an update is released sometimes folks with SPECIFIC cameras or specific hardware have issues. There are millions of permutations of hardware that can be disrupted by an update. The developer does not have the ability to test this all. This happens with ALL VMS and ALL software - have you not seen issues with other software or even OS updates? Why is microsoft not "more careful" How in the world can their windows update crash the OS and put it in a boot loop if they wait months or weeks before pushing an update. The answer is simple, a developer cannot account of every scenario. Other companies will tell you to revert back and WAIT MONTHS for the next update and you have to hope for the best. The blue iris developer pushes out a fix in a day or two. That does not mean every person who should update to the latest release. If yours is working fine leave it alone. In what universe is quick patches and frequent OPTIONAL updates a bad thing. We are in the twilight zone here. Your suggestion is illogical, it provides ZERO benefit to you, but hurts folks who need an update or feature.

Despite all your bitching and moaning on this website about these terrible updates (with zero basis in fact aside from a few folks with issues) have you taken a moment to email the developer and ask about his position? I doubt it. Please explain to us why you care if we are getting updates if you have the option to disable it, the curiosity is killing me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I just want BI to be the best.
No you dont. You simply want to bitch and moan. That explains why you never sent an email to the developer despite posing at least 50 times about this terrible OPTIONAL update with new FEATURES and functions that are released. The best for blue iris is to keep doing what hes doing. Pushing frequent updates and features. THAT is what customers want. What part of optional updates cant you understand. Please explain this to me because for the life of me I dont understand it. Trust me, the developer does not need your backwards business acumen.
Finally, if you actually cared about blue iris you would not post FALSE information based on a few user complains of issues. You have ZERO data yet make outrageous claims.

Bill Scruggs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman, Your contributions to Blue Iris and this forum are too well known for you to be wasting your time with this kind of crap. Please let this go and continue with your very proffesional help we all know and appreciate. You are better than this and everyone with any real appreciation for this community knows this.

Bill Scruggs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, Your contributions to Blue Iris and this forum are too well known for you to be wasting your time with this kind of crap. Please let this go and continue with your very proffesional help we all know and appreciate. You are better than this and everyone with any real appreciation for this community knows this.

Bill Scruggs
I appreciate what you are saying, however, I cant let someone who has no clue post misleading and false information. Sometimes folks need a kick in the pants.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, not advising this. Would a registry backup and restore utility work better with a revert back to prior version. So prior to updating you backup registry, if update is bad, revert to prior BI update and then restore registry?