PTZ Camera Question

WakeRider

n3wb
Reaction score
So looking for recommendations on PTZ cameras. I was looking at some of the Dahua PTZ specs and came across a max watt requirement of 36 W. My switch only puts out a max of 30W per port. Curious if that means I am going to run into issues or if I will just lose some features at specific times (IE Movement + IR ect ect). Other option is if there are any PTZ out there that have a lower power requirement (forgive my ignorance but still learning about the different camera's available). If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So looking for recommendations on PTZ cameras. I was looking at some of the Dahua PTZ specs and came across a max watt requirement of 36 W. My switch only puts out a max of 30W per port. Curious if that means I am going to run into issues or if I will just lose some features at specific times (IE Movement + IR ect ect). Other option is if there are any PTZ out there that have a lower power requirement (forgive my ignorance but still learning about the different camera's available). If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!
Hi @WakeRider

Check if rated PoE+ - if so get a PoE+ switch or power source

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may be ok. The IR lights at night bump up the wattage needed. I bet if you had IR at max and were PTZ'ing at the same time you may push that 36W but I have a couple PTZ's that say they could draw that much but my switch stats never show either of them going over 32W (generally they are at 22-26W at night). I've had another switch where I went over the max and I lost signal when that happened. You may be pushing it but you may be ok, if it was me, I'd go for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FWIW, look at the PTZ cams based on them fulfilling the job you want it to do. Get a short list of those. Then see what the max power draw is. It may be that you will have an issue, or may be you wont. But you could always use a POE injector of proper size to handle that. Research POE injectors to find a good one that would supply enough wattage before you purchase the cam. Once you try it out at night with IR, and heater if so equipped, while moving the cam, you will know if the current POE switch will not handle it. Then either get a switch that has more power per port or get that injector.