PTZ Options

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I've been doing some research off and on for months, and it is coming to the point where I really should just move forward.

I'd like to add a camera to my front door and would like the flexibility of a small, unobtrusive wall mount "mini-dome?" that has PTZ functionality.

While I don't think I NEED PTZ, in the end if I'm going to go through the hassle and expense of wiring, PoE equipment, etc... I might as well spend a little more for the functionality as it gives me flexibility.

I'd rather not spend $500+. I'm ok with it not having great noise reduction features or ULTRA super low light capability... And also ok with waiting if a new product is coming out in the next several months.

In the end I'm just hoping for any wisdom you guys have on PTZ's that I could wall mount and wouldn't be extremely noticeable.

Thanks for reading :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua makes a mini PT (no optical zoom) dome for under 200..it does not have ir though...Honestly if you are using it for your front door, just get a wide angle lens 2.8mm hikvision 2532 and you will see everything you need without ptz.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman.

From an "optics" perspective - and clearly I'm a novice here... How much "detail" do I lose in more "distant" objects... 30-50 feet out, by not having the zoom capability?

Thanks again...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will lose lots of detail. But if this is a front door cam you dont need 30 feet out. Also, unless you set up some motion sensors or magnets there is no point...because you are not going to monitor the cam 24/7

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I should have explained myself better.

Yes primary function is to see what is going on ON my front porch... Who is at the door, has my mail been delivered, etc... but at the same time I would like to be able to monitor the street, sidewalk... I live on an urban street and having visibility to what is going on could be helpful for a number of reasons.

If I could do that with a decent PTZ that would only cost $150-$200 more, I'd consider it. But I don't want to waste it on junk either.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No you cannot do that with a ptz for 200...Also, the good ones are pretty large and about 500-900...You are way better off with two cameras..one pointing at the porch the other at the street...remember, when the ptz is pointed at the street you have no coverage at the porch...

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No you cannot do that with a ptz for 200..
Yes I know... I said $150-$200 more... Could go up to $400 I suppose, didn't so much want to go to $500.

While stuff may exist cheaper, again it comes down to buying something that may be garbage and then away goes my $350-$400 investment.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again for your comments...

My thoughts are for my application, 90% of the time it would be focused on the front porch, but in the case of a disturbance... The ability to ptz to the area of interest, without me having to go investigate... Could be helpful.

What do you think about the Dahua IPC-HDBW5302? Not a bad price?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not a ptz, it is a motorized varifocal...it will only "zoom"..they are not mean to move much only during install, and maybe once a day or so if you have an application for it...they are not fast acting like a true zoom on a ptz..
Nellys is offering a motorized varifocal from dahua for 199 (it does have less features than the one you linked to. Neither will have pan tilt capability.
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1824-New-Varifocal-3MP-Motorized-Auto-Zoom-Focus-Dahua-Cameras-Available

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you have just sufficiently convinced me:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2158

Either the small mini-dome or the big brother. It's either that or pay another $200 more, or wait for a future product.

I gotta read through his blog post again to decide which to go with. I'd prefer not to drill a 1" hole to support either camera.

Thanks again :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will have to drill a 1" or 3/4 hole regardless of the camera you get, unless you use a junction box
EDIT: there are some makes that have a ethernet port in the camera..like vivotek, however they come at a significant premium.
http://www.vivotek.com/fd8363/