PTZ Seeking Your Sage Advice And Guidance

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve recently been thinking of getting a PTZ to put on my barn to monitor the chicken coop and run, but able to scan other parts of the property with great zoom if needed. The only intruders are generally bear, bobcat, fox, and deer, except for the infrequent (and explicitly permitted) visits from the nice neighbors next door who bring their little kids over to see the chickens. But I’m thinking the auto tracking likely won’t follow the 4 legged intruders, and the camera would be tracking like crazy when I or my wife are working down there. So it seems like more of a toy than the tool I‘m looking for, and I’ll more likely go with a couple or 3 fixed cameras.

How is this related to the OP’s situation? With the narrow lot, 50 foot driveway situation, it seems to me that a couple of fixed cameras would be more of a plug and play situation, especially if the mischief at the edges of the property is in a fairly small area. Using a Z4E or Z12 zoomed there could tell the story with ID. Think of the pinch points where the perps would enter/exit and watch there. It just seems to me that PTZs are best suited to a situation where a human operator is at the controls vs. an unattended monitoring situation. (All that said, I still want one. :))