PTZ Sky Cam Recommendation?

TopRamen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to put up a couple of POE PTZ Sky Cameras for my Blue Iris system. I live directly in the flight pattern of an airport responsible for Airborne Firefighting and would like to put up 1 or 2 PTZ cameras pointed up at the sky that can zoom at least 10X optical to catch the aircraft flying over. Resolution-wise, 1080 is the minimum. It doesn't have to be higher, but if it is, great. Doesn't have to be great at night. I'm in the city, we're not going to see much in the way of stars.

The problem is that most of the cheaper PTZ can't point straight up unless you're mounting it upside down, and I'm not sure they're designed to do that. I've seen some PTZ mini bullets, but most of them are only 4X.

I'm shooting for sub $200 but if there's something that fits the bill for a little more, I can make it stretch.

Anyone done anything like this and have a recommendation?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, you could start with one and add a second sometime later down the road. You're looking for a camera that is a specialty camera since you want a PTZ that can point straight up. If you invert a normal PTZ you'll end up with water in the PTZ mechanism since they aren't designed to be inverted. That will result in camera failure and wasted money. Better to do it right the first time.