Pulling the plug, need advise for compatibility and installation

Reaction score
Good Morning all,

My fiancee and I just purchased our first home and slowly moving into the house. For the past week, my mail has been getting "lost" (USPS emails electronic images of my mail), I filed a police report and a report through the post office.

I need your advise to make sure make sure the items I am going to purchase will work well with each other.

I am going to get 6 HDW2231R-ZS with most of them attached to the soffit of the house. I want to use cat6 with the length of each wire not to exceed 75 ft ( I say that to in order to keep the wire hidden and may require to run the wire longer then necessary/to allow wiggle room in the event I need to run it longer than what I calculated). Out of the 6, one will be attached to our shed facing the mailbox. For that, I was going to run 100 ft of length of conduit buried appx 24" in the ground. I live on a dead-end road with absolutely no street lights. If it my garage door lights, front porch or lamp post lights are on, it is completely black at night.

I was planning on getting NVR5216-16-4KS2E however I heard it is louder then normal from what i gathered as I want to place the system in our bedroom. So I was thinking of NVR5224-24P-4KS2E but not sure if that is any quieter. Between the 6 cameras and NVR, I want to keep the price around $1200.00.

Couple concerns, I want to be able to look at my cameras from phone (Androids) however I am only able to get either 4G/LTE internet or satellite.Which if anyone is familar, it sucks.. From speaking with my neighbors, at times, it can be like having 52k internet. It's like only 1 person can be one the internet at once..

I was thinking of just plugging the wires directly into the NVR however due to the lack of electronic devices that I can contact to the type of router, i was thinking of going through the internet switch route. I will be using the NVR software vice getting blue iris or other 3rd party software. ( I have limited knowledge of of IP Addresses/configuration/protocol, however I can youtube for help and learn to do it).

Will the NVR work well with the cameras and is it quiet enough to run in the bedroom? is there a better choice?
I have been reading the cliff notes which do help but there is also alot of lingo in there which I am not familiar with.

Thanks for your help!

Shrek

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple concerns, I want to be able to look at my cameras from phone (Androids) however I am only able to get either 4G/LTE internet or satellite.Which if anyone is familar, it sucks.. From speaking with my neighbors, at times, it can be like having 52k internet. It's like only 1 person can be one the internet at once..

Will the NVR work well with the cameras and is it quiet enough to run in the bedroom? is there a better choice?
I have been reading the cliff notes which do help but there is also alot of lingo in there which I am not familiar with.

Thanks for your help!

Shrek
Welcome Shrek,

in general:
DO NOT put NVRs in your bedroom

in practice:
It depends on the ambient noise and the noise you are willing to accept as well if you decide to modify or purchase a fan-less quiet NVR or PC w/VMS software + switch.

In general - small boxes with fans = more noise as the fan must run at higher rpms for good airflow and thus they "whine"

When running cables - pull extra cables, I recommend N+1 per each location, and I like to use 3/4"+ grey PVC conduit in the attic to help get the run into the tighter corners. ( also helps protect the cable from critters eating it .. )

Reaction score
That is good to know , forgive my stupid question, is it because of noise that you do not put that NVR in the bedroom? That would make sense about the fans as I never thought of it like that way before but I can get it.

I agree with your second statement about using the gray conduit... I was thinking a half inch for the one wire that will be going to the camera located on my shed and I will use a larger-diameter conduit since there will be multiple wires through 1 conduit.

Thanks for the info