Purchase Full Version

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually had the same problem and gave up...

If if you do have another domain name or your using one of the dns services, you can not change the "external ip address" - unless I am missing something?
When you use a dynamic dns service you dont need to change your external ip address (you cant anyway as its set by the isp and changes randomly sometimes only every few months on when your modem reboots) that's the whole point. The service monitors your external ip address and keeps track of any changes. The service give you a host name for example gitsipcameras.dyndns.org that host name gets redirected to whatever you external ip address happens to be at the time...so you would need to enter the hostname + port so you would enter gitsipcameras.dyndns.org:8585 if 8585 was your webserver port...for this to work you need to properly set up port forwarding...
Another more secure option is to use VPN, so you are actually logging into your home network and you can use the local ip address to access the blue iris server.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
That makes sense

I used to use the free version of dyn.dns, but since that went by the wayside, I was trying to use one of my parked domains which wasn't working out. So I decided to give no-ip.net a try since they have a 'tool' that will constantly update the host if the ip address changes. And, I am happy to say that it now works - thanks

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman, as of this time, I do not yet have a dynamic DNS service but I do know the IP address and port number to access the camera. My router has been configured to forward the port I am using. I just need to know where to put the IP address and port number in the program to be able to access the camera on the internet with my blue iris software. I realize the IP address changes periodically. Mine hasn't changed in over 6 months. I should be able to use this until I get a DNS address, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes if you know your external ip address you can log in..your external ip address is the one that blue iris is reporting...you cannot enter in BI because blue iris cannot change it...thats a fact...
By any chance are you using satellite or wireless signal internet? Who is your service provider?

Reaction score
Newbie question: while shopping for deals for the full purchase version. I see some resellers saying their version includes lifetime updates.

Looking at the official website I only see lite version (1 camera) vs full version (multi camera). Don't see anything saying full version w/ lifetime.

So does all full version comes with lifetime upgrades and it's just reseller marketing spin?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Newbie question: while shopping for deals for the full purchase version. I see some resellers saying their version includes lifetime updates.

Looking at the official website I only see lite version (1 camera) vs full version (multi camera). Don't see anything saying full version w/ lifetime.

So does all full version comes with lifetime upgrades and it's just reseller marketing spin?

Thanks!
The full version comes with "lifetime" updates for only that current primary version..for example you will get updates for Blue iris 3 as the come out (which is every few weeks...there are new features added regularly)...When blue iris 4 comes out you will have to pay for an upgrade (albeit a discount may be offered to current users)...You will not receive Blue Iris 4 for free from any reseller, when it is released.
That said, I would buy directly from the blue iris website...you are guaranteed a good key and you are supporting the developer who codes all this by himself...For $50 you simply cannot find a better deal on this type of software...

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes if you know your external ip address you can log in..your external ip address is the one that blue iris is reporting...you cannot enter in BI because blue iris cannot change it...thats a fact...
By any chance are you using satellite or wireless signal internet? Who is your service provider?
I am not using satellite or wireless signal internet. In fact, I did figure it out. For some reason, my camera's IP address changed and I don't know why. When I first purchased it I was able to log into it with the Foscam software using IP address xxx.xxx.x.3. Then I couldn't log in becase the IP address had changed to xxx.xxx.x.2. Why the change, I don't know. I went into my router settings and changed the port forwarding settings from a 3 to a 2 and now it works. I do now have a Dynamic DNS address and everything is working fine. Thanks for all the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not using satellite or wireless signal internet. In fact, I did figure it out. For some reason, my camera's IP address changed and I don't know why. When I first purchased it I was able to log into it with the Foscam software using IP address xxx.xxx.x.3. Then I couldn't log in becase the IP address had changed to xxx.xxx.x.2. Why the change, I don't know. I went into my router settings and changed the port forwarding settings from a 3 to a 2 and now it works. I do now have a Dynamic DNS address and everything is working fine. Thanks for all the help.
To prevent the router from assigning a different ip address to the camera you must do one of two things...
1) Tell you router to reserve a specific ip address for your camera by settings up dhcp reservation on the router..this is based on the cameras unique mac address...you are telling that router to always assign a specific ip address to the device with a specific mac address.
or
2) in the camera settings assign the camera a static ip address that is outside your dhcp reservation range...for example if the dhcp server range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.150 then in the camera settings set it to static ip and assign it 192.168.1.151 this way the router will never assign that address to anything else and the camera can always use that ip address.

If you dont one of these the camera's ip address will change and you will have this issue again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That image is not of the settings you should be looking at...dont change anything there...also remove the image or redact your external ip address from it.
What model is your router?

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok it seemed to take the information. Now we will wait and see if it changes again on its own!

Thanks again