Pure Bare Copper Wire

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After these Links posted i need a drink.
I learned long ago and the hard way to not drink TOO much before or during an intensive cable terminating session....you might find yourself correcting some mistakes very soon thereafter. :facepalm:

KT88s

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Although i totally agree with that statement, Current Closet Workers, (IT's) have quite a bit on their plate and dam sure earn their money.
Makes this old Analog guy feel like iv got away without stress for 30+ years.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although i totally agree with that statement, Current Closet Workers, (IT's) have quite a bit on their plate and dam sure earn their money.
Makes this old Analog guy feel like iv got away without stress for 30+ years.
I learned long ago and the hard way to not drink TOO much before or during an intensive cable terminating session....you might find yourself correcting some mistakes very soon thereafter. :facepalm:
Note that I said BEFORE and DURING..........I've been known in my younger days to seriously make up for that practice AFTER. :rolleyes:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw this thread, thought a quick read through before bed for this aging engineer might do me well.
THAT WAS TWO HOURS AGO!
After these Links posted i need a drink.
I do feel good with the fact i can follow every reply here, and know what is being stated. cool.
I tried to find an article I read years ago that explained the relevant bits without just walking through pages of math.

I haven't been able to find the explanation of twisted pairs and Ethernet cables I wanted to post, which means it was probably from a book, ppt, or resides behind a paywall.

Here are some articles from a cable mfg that got some attention a few years ago that are easier reads:
Is Your Cat 6 Cable a Dog? -- Blue Jeans Cable
"Why Not Test at the Frequency of the Ethernet Signal?" -- Blue Jeans Cable
Terrible Terminations -- Blue Jeans Cable
Beware the "Channel-Certified" Dodge -- Blue Jeans Cable
"All Ones and Zeros" -- Blue Jeans Cable
"Built to a Spec" -- Blue Jeans Cable

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @tanget..

wow... 80% of patch cables do not meet spec as per a Fluke test:

"The Slippery Side of the Cable Business
The fact that it's hard to tell the difference between Cat 5e, Cat 6 and Cat 6a by looking at them opens the door, unfortunately, to some deceptive practices in the industry. The door is further opened by the fact that, unlike some specifications which have a licensing agency and an enforcement squad (e.g., HDMI Licensing, which licenses the use of the HDMI trademarks and enforces the specification), these Ethernet specs are operated purely on the honor system. If a manufacturer wants to sell "Cat 6" cable, all he has to do is change the jacket lettering on his Cat 5e cable to read "Cat 6." Beyond that, it's pure caveat emptor -- it's the buyer's job to figure out whether he's being scammed.

The idea that somebody would just change the jacket lettering on his Cat 5e cable and call it "Cat 6" might seem just a bit too brazen, even for a sharp operator. If you have just a bit of faith in humanity, you'd think that nobody would label a cable "Category 6" on the jacket and sell it in a major national store chain without ascertaining that the cable actually met Category 6 specifications--but if you thought that, you'd be wrong. A few years ago, Fluke corporation, who make various Ethernet test devices, announced that in its survey of the market approximately 80% of the patch cords sold as "Cat 6" did not meet the specification (see Fluke article). This can be a severe problem in data networks, even when the permanent link cabling is of high quality."

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @tanget..

wow... 80% of patch cables do not meet spec as per a Fluke test:

"The Slippery Side of the Cable Business
The fact that it's hard to tell the difference between Cat 5e, Cat 6 and Cat 6a by looking at them opens the door, unfortunately, to some deceptive practices in the industry. The door is further opened by the fact that, unlike some specifications which have a licensing agency and an enforcement squad (e.g., HDMI Licensing, which licenses the use of the HDMI trademarks and enforces the specification), these Ethernet specs are operated purely on the honor system. If a manufacturer wants to sell "Cat 6" cable, all he has to do is change the jacket lettering on his Cat 5e cable to read "Cat 6." Beyond that, it's pure caveat emptor -- it's the buyer's job to figure out whether he's being scammed.

The idea that somebody would just change the jacket lettering on his Cat 5e cable and call it "Cat 6" might seem just a bit too brazen, even for a sharp operator. If you have just a bit of faith in humanity, you'd think that nobody would label a cable "Category 6" on the jacket and sell it in a major national store chain without ascertaining that the cable actually met Category 6 specifications--but if you thought that, you'd be wrong. A few years ago, Fluke corporation, who make various Ethernet test devices, announced that in its survey of the market approximately 80% of the patch cords sold as "Cat 6" did not meet the specification (see Fluke article). This can be a severe problem in data networks, even when the permanent link cabling is of high quality."
They did all of this testing a few years ago and you can always hope some of the mfgs cleaned up their act. On some level the articles BJC wrote were a bit of a publicity stunt even if they were rightfully calling out shitty competitors. They were also careful not to disclose the names of cables that failed the test (lawyers). The same fluke article also concluded that 55% of cables didn't even meet the Cat-5e spec. Even if the cable is perfect, terminating it perfectly is hard.

The bottom line is cable is a really stupid place to pinch your pennies given how expensive it is to replace. Most security cameras link at 100mbps and data rates are generally well below 40mbps (eg. multiple clients connected to a camera), so it isn't that critical to most people here. These help me find the absolute cheapest cable possible posts are always cringe worthy.

HDMI requires licensing and certification, but counterfeit non-compliant cables are still rampant so I'm not sure how useful that model would be.

Another fun aspect of counterfeit cable are counterfeit UL listings and cable jackets without the fire resistance or low smoke they're supposed to have in the case of plenum cable. There are some nice videos of counterfeit etherent cable burning.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Given that a lot of patch and premade cables are made, shall we say, "off shore" further muddies the waters.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Given that a lot of patch and premade cables are made, shall we say, "off shore" further muddies the waters.
It wouldn't surprise me if those places get rid of excess lead or toxins by "exporting' it by disguising it in various ways.

Ever noticed how the power cable of those little $10, 1,000 watt ceramic heaters from the dollar store are so stiff you can practically stand them up like a frozen rope? Makes me wonder if there's lead blended into the vinyl jacket. :wtf:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Throw 802.3bt and idiots who want PoE powered easy bake ovens into the the mix and you've got a whole new level of pain.
New rules for PoE are in the works for the National Electric Code given 802.3bt's fire starting potential (especially when many cables are bundled or grouped closely).

Just say no to PoE powered easy bake ovens. Don't get baked alive.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if those places get rid of excess lead or toxins by "exporting' it by disguising it in various ways.

Ever noticed how the power cable of those little $10, 1,000 watt ceramic heaters from the dollar store are so stiff you can practically stand them up like a frozen rope? Makes me wonder if there's lead blended into the vinyl jacket. :wtf:
As I imagine you're well aware, a lot PVC does contain lead. CA's Prop 65 warnings are so ubiquitous and vague it kind of undermines the message. As a rule after handling any cables I wash my hands before I eat or drink anything. India has had some big problems with lead in pvc drinking water pipes.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I imagine you're well aware, a lot PVC does contain lead.
Oh, yeah.

CA's Prop 65 warnings are so ubiquitous and vague it kind of undermines the message.
Tell me about it...lived in Silicon Valley area over 29 years. I came to the conclusion that swallowing one's own spit is the actual cause of cancer....but only when done in small quantities over a very long period of time. :rolleyes:

As a rule after handling any cables I wash my hands before I eat or drink anything.
Good practice. I also do that after coming back to the house from doing just about anything anywhere....I'm not a germophobe but it seems the older I get, the more my immune systems seems to be weaker. I've gotten more illnesses in the last 2-3 years than I did in the previous 25.:(