Push notification too short

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a new Moto G6 and apparently Motorola uses a "fade-in" for ringers and notifications. Basically, the first few seconds of a ring/ notification is mute to very low volume. I've read where all Motorola devices have this built in, but my 2 year old Moto G4 missed this "feature" and thankfully I've been able to utilize push notifications on it. I get the vibration on the G6 phone when the push comes in and can barely hear the last part of the .wav if I hold it up to my ear. It's only a matter of time before all cell phones use this "feature" because it apparently saves people's hearing (he said sarcastically) When they lose a call and keep their phone up to their ear and someone calls back, it doesn't blast the ringtone in their ear suddenly. If other manufacturers decide to implement this, the push notifications will be useless for everybody.
I saw an old thread asking about custom .wav files for push notifications, but it ended three years ago. It would be nice to either have a custom .wav that can be implemented on the app, longer available .wav's, or the ability to send 2 pushes consecutively. I can use "send email alert" and use e-Notify to fetch my email and get a specific sound for each camera, but that adds around 15 seconds to my alert time and no doubt lessens battery time. If I use "send sms", it gives the same sound for all cameras since it looks like it came from Google mail.
I am using BI4 and the corresponding Android app. Might be interested in upgrading to BI5 with (probably) a new Android app if it would fix my problem. Of course, returning my Moto G6 is an option too but the return window is closing.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Might be worth passing this info along to the developer. There is no new android app that comes with BI 5...the existing app works fine with BI 5. BI 5 likely will not solve your issue either.

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
Might be worth passing this info along to the developer. There is no new android app that comes with BI 5...the existing app works fine with BI 5. BI 5 likely will not solve your issue either.
I know the push notification sounds have to be in the app. As mentioned, there was a request (I assume) to Ken back in 2016 to allow custom sounds. Currently, the only sounds long enough are "police" and "alarm". I did just follow your suggestion and sent an email to Ken. If this is true about Motorola making their ringers and notifications fade-in, I'm surprised there aren't more people using the Blue Iris app affected. Also, more manufacturers may follow this and/or the FCC may make it mandatory - it sounds like something they'd do "for our protection".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the push notification sounds have to be in the app. As mentioned, there was a request (I assume) to Ken back in 2016 to allow custom sounds. Currently, the only sounds long enough are "police" and "alarm". I did just follow your suggestion and sent an email to Ken. If this is true about Motorola making their ringers and notifications fade-in, I'm surprised there aren't more people using the Blue Iris app affected. Also, more manufacturers may follow this and/or the FCC may make it mandatory - it sounds like something they'd do "for our protection".
First you can never rely on a 3 year old user request to resolve an issue. Email support yourself.
Second, on the server in the alert for the camera set it to default sound, in the app under settings select "choose notification options" >advanced, you can use your phones sounds or ringtones.

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
First you can never rely on a 3 year old user request to resolve an issue. Email support yourself.
Second, on the server in the alert for the camera set it to default sound, in the app under settings select "choose notification options" >advanced, you can use your phones sounds or ringtones.
First, Thanks for (always) helping me and others here on the forum. Second, it's very possible that the former poster found a solution but didn't return to share it - I know I did on something four years ago here (bad etiquette I know, sorry). Third, I emailed support also and am hoping for a response there too - of course the forum was my first hope. I was hoping there were others with Motorola phones who were experiencing this "issue", but maybe were content with your solution, having maybe figured it out on their own. Fourth, while this is a vast improvement, it gives the same sound to all cameras (unless I'm missing something). I really got used to not having to pick up the phone to see which camera it was and could picture the path someone or something was taking across my property by the sounds of each camera. Fifth, sadly my "work-around" with eNotify doesn't just give me a 15 second delay as, with Android versions 8 and above, it is not viable to set push email as a retrieval option. This can result in up to a 2 minute delay. Obviously, your solution is better. Sixth, thanks again. I enjoy learning something new. At my advanced (advancing) age it should be less possible (especially as a teenager I knew everything). Pretty soon I can blame it dementia though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, Thanks for (always) helping me and others here on the forum. Second, it's very possible that the former poster found a solution but didn't return to share it - I know I did on something four years ago here (bad etiquette I know, sorry). Third, I emailed support also and am hoping for a response there too - of course the forum was my first hope. I was hoping there were others with Motorola phones who were experiencing this "issue", but maybe were content with your solution, having maybe figured it out on their own. Fourth, while this is a vast improvement, it gives the same sound to all cameras (unless I'm missing something). I really got used to not having to pick up the phone to see which camera it was and could picture the path someone or something was taking across my property by the sounds of each camera. Fifth, sadly my "work-around" with eNotify doesn't just give me a 15 second delay as, with Android versions 8 and above, it is not viable to set push email as a retrieval option. This can result in up to a 2 minute delay. Obviously, your solution is better. Sixth, thanks again. I enjoy learning something new. At my advanced (advancing) age it should be less possible (especially as a teenager I knew everything). Pretty soon I can blame it dementia though.
your post implied that you didn't know who was reported to and you presumed it was Ken, you made no mention of submitting a report yourself...
4th replacing your phone is probably the best idea... It's running an outdated version of Android that Motorola won't patch. Lots of security vulnerabilities...
5th, you'll just have to wait for a response from the developer because there's nothing you can do.

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
your post implied that you didn't know who was reported to and you presumed it was Ken, you made no mention of submitting a report yourself...
4th replacing your phone is probably the best idea... It's running an outdated version of Android that Motorola won't patch. Lots of security vulnerabilities...
5th, you'll just have to wait for a response from the developer because there's nothing you can do.
Thanks for the very prompt response. I actually just bought the Moto G6 to upgrade a G4 with Android 7.0. I guess I missed the upgrade to 8.1 in March - never sent to my phone. The last security patch, which I also apparently relied on my carrier to provide, was back in April 2018. The "new" Moto G6 came with 8.1 Oreo and I upgraded immediately after receiving it to 9.0 Pie which I think is the newest version. It also did 3 security patches (or some kind of upgrade) when I set it up. I think the last one was from February.
I read online where this "fade-in" debacle is something built into all Motorola phones now; for "hearing protection" apparently. Of course, I haven't heard this directly from Motorola and am actually hoping it is false information although I've found it in several discussions. I spoke with a support tech at Motorola and she said it was a hardware problem and to return it to Amazon, which I am in the process of doing as an exchange (Prime day deal). She also said there were no known issues with the G6. I didn't try the Blue Iris app when the phone was on Oreo and another thread said that my problem may be with the dolby stereo on the phone which cannot be uninstalled after the Pie upgrade. I will see (hopefully in a few hours, after I receive the replacement) if that is something that is even possible. If so, I don't think I really need the update, again unless I'm missing something. If not, I may have to return it again and wait for Black Friday to buy a "non-Motorola" phone. Thanks, as always, for the input and information.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the problem with using these Moto phones, February is way behind on the patches..

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the problem with using these Moto phones, February is way behind on the patches..
Got a replacement G6 last night. The only good thing about it was one day shipping (free). As with the other one, it has the fade-in ringer/notification sound. It came with Oreo 8.0 and didn't offer to upgrade to Pie or even 8.1, so obviously had been on the shelf even longer. It offered to do a security patch from November of 2018. Don't know if it would have offered any more because when it restarted it never came back on. Now, regrettably, I have to go back to the Moto G4 which is on Android 7.0 and last security patch from April 2018. Like you say, Motorola no longer offers any upgrades or patches. I assume that Google is the ones writing Android systems. Why is it then up to the carrier or manufacturer to roll out upgrades and patches? Not trying to make trouble - just asking.
Wasn't too concerned about the older OS and ancient security patches since I don't do much online banking etc. A little scared now that I've done a few Google searches.Do you know if a password manager helps or is that maybe just another way to hack into and get passwords? I know the best solution is to get a new top-of-the-line phone every year, but the ones I can afford every other year are usually already a year or two old. Apparently Iphones are a little more secure, but not infallible. And of course, they are more expensive than most Androids. Since Pixel is a Google brand, do you know if they have better support (maybe longer even) for OS and security updates?
I know I ask a lot of questions, but only because you have a lot of answers. At least my original problem is solved - by returning the G6. Thanks for all the help and info.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a replacement G6 last night. The only good thing about it was one day shipping (free). As with the other one, it has the fade-in ringer/notification sound. It came with Oreo 8.0 and didn't offer to upgrade to Pie or even 8.1, so obviously had been on the shelf even longer. It offered to do a security patch from November of 2018. Don't know if it would have offered any more because when it restarted it never came back on. Now, regrettably, I have to go back to the Moto G4 which is on Android 7.0 and last security patch from April 2018. Like you say, Motorola no longer offers any upgrades or patches. I assume that Google is the ones writing Android systems. Why is it then up to the carrier or manufacturer to roll out upgrades and patches? Not trying to make trouble - just asking.
Wasn't too concerned about the older OS and ancient security patches since I don't do much online banking etc. A little scared now that I've done a few Google searches.Do you know if a password manager helps or is that maybe just another way to hack into and get passwords? I know the best solution is to get a new top-of-the-line phone every year, but the ones I can afford every other year are usually already a year or two old. Apparently Iphones are a little more secure, but not infallible. And of course, they are more expensive than most Androids. Since Pixel is a Google brand, do you know if they have better support (maybe longer even) for OS and security updates?
I know I ask a lot of questions, but only because you have a lot of answers. At least my original problem is solved - by returning the G6. Thanks for all the help and info.
Google provides the manufacturers with the patches. unfortunately they've already sold you the phone and therefore are not concerned with providing updates. The only way to change this is by buying Google pixel phones or phone from manufacturers like Samsung that do generally provide updates on a monthly basis. The issue is these manufacturers modify the OS so much with their own crap that you cannot simply download and install an update from Google. You need to vote with your money.

There are several phones even some from Motorola that run the new Android one platform, that will provide timely updates. Android One: Secure, up-to-date and easy to use.
You don't need to buy a top-of-the-line phone to be up to date. If you use a GSM carrier I believe Nokia also provides timely updates but you have to confirm that yourself.

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
Google provides the manufacturers with the patches. unfortunately they've already sold you the phone and therefore are not concerned with providing updates. The only way to change this is by buying Google pixel phones or phone from manufacturers like Samsung that do generally provide updates on a monthly basis. The issue is these manufacturers modify the OS so much with their own crap that you cannot simply download and install an update from Google. You need to vote with your money.

There are several phones even some from Motorola that run the new Android one platform, that will provide timely updates. Android One: Secure, up-to-date and easy to use.
You don't need to buy a top-of-the-line phone to be up to date. If you use a GSM carrier I believe Nokia also provides timely updates but you have to confirm that yourself.
I had looked at the Pixel phones. I think at the time, I saw their internal memory only as a negative even though I think they had 64 or 128 Gig. And of course, they are a bit pricey (or maybe I'm cheap). I'll have a look at Nokia and I have looked at Samsung. My carrier (Consumer Cellular) offers a J3 (NAH) and a J7 (okay, but on Oreo for under $200. Of course they have 4 or 5 S series all over $450, and of course 9 Iphones . Surprisingly one is $200 (6S) but I don't know anything about Apple and how the speed/ etc compare to Android. Also dread the setup and non-compatibility (maybe) with Windows PC.
I guess I can wait til Black Friday deals or until my G4 craps out. Not going to open any more attachments from Nigerian princes anymore til then.

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
I am getting psyched about the Nokia 6.1. I really hadn't considered Nokia. It has Pie and Android one, and Best Buy sorta has it on sale. In my price range (high end), but I mainly bought the Moto for my birthday and need something to cheer me up now. Everything I've read about Android one is positive, but it really doesn't give an end date for upgrades/ updates. Maybe still up to the manufacturer. Nokia is a good one though and maybe will give two years from purchase (instead of release date?). Unless this has fade-in sound, it blows the G6 away - hell, even if it does, but then I don't think I'll keep it. Only thing is, if I find out it has fade-in, Best Buy usually charges a $35 re-stocking fee. They don't have one in stock so I can't power it on in the store. Oh well, more Googling for reviews, specs and of course anything similar to "fade -in" or "notifications" + Nokia 6.1.