Push notifications stopped; test goes to "2 devices"

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought I posted this earlier today, but came back and searched and couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a duplicate.
Recently my push notifications stopped working. When I do a test, it says "test sent to 2 devices", but I don't get it on either my Motorola Moto G EXT or my tablet (android). I am running Blue Iris ver 3.66.00 on my desktop and ver 2.0.2 on the phone. It looks as though the desktop program updated on August 1st which may be when the notifications stopped. I don't have any of the boxes checked to update ( check on startup, update automatically..) since I had problems in the past and was happy with the features I had already. I should probably upgrade, but I'm still running Windows 98 and only have 4 720p cameras. Also, would hate to pay for a new program and app and have it not work still.
I searched the forums for keyword "push" and couldn't find anything that helped. Tried removing the entries in "Mobile Devices" and reconnecting; also checking and unchecking the boxes for either the phone or tablet. Shut down and restart computer and phone etc. I'm assuming it's on the desktop end since it doesn't work on 2 devices. I can get the program to send an email or SMS, just not push notifications. Am I missing something simple?
Thanks for any help
Dave

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: I DID post, but it was on Cam-It. Not losing my mind, just my memory

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI3 is no longer supported...it would not have auto updated... spend the 30 dollars for bi4 and buy a new computer.... windows 98? I doubt it... push notifications works fine in bi4...

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. You're right - it's Windows XP (still old). I built a computer a few years ago and had the disk for XP. I've been meaning to upgrade to a newer OS. I was looking into BI Tools and of course, it wouldn't work on XP. The machine has an AMD Athlon II X3 455 processor running at 3.31 MHz and 3 Meg Ram - 500 Gig hard drive. I would like to keep as much as possible. If I upgrade the OS, I may lose BI3 and would have to pay the $60 for a new installation (didn't know an upgrade was only 30). Will I have to pay to update the app?
I also have a laptop running Windows 7, but I would have to buy IP cameras (better quality than what I have, but expensive) and learn how to use them. The four I have are connected via BNC cables. Can I transfer BI3 to the laptop and upgrade after (to save $30 to use towards cameras)?
Here's a screenshot of the "About" page in BI3View attachment Blue Iris.bmpThat's why I thought it looked like it updated.
Thanks again

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. You're right - it's Windows XP (still old). I built a computer a few years ago and had the disk for XP. I've been meaning to upgrade to a newer OS. I was looking into BI Tools and of course, it wouldn't work on XP. The machine has an AMD Athlon II X3 455 processor running at 3.31 MHz and 3 Meg Ram - 500 Gig hard drive. I would like to keep as much as possible. If I upgrade the OS, I may lose BI3 and would have to pay the $60 for a new installation (didn't know an upgrade was only 30). Will I have to pay to update the app?
I also have a laptop running Windows 7, but I would have to buy IP cameras (better quality than what I have, but expensive) and learn how to use them. The four I have are connected via BNC cables. Can I transfer BI3 to the laptop and upgrade after (to save $30 to use towards cameras)?
Here's a screenshot of the "About" page in BI3View attachment 12509That's why I thought it looked like it updated.
Thanks again
I think its time for a complete overhaul of your system, for these reasons.
1) your current xp setup is not secure. MS stopped providing security updates long ago.
2) Your amd setup is a power hog, you can buy a replacement i5-haswell for 2-300 dollars. It will pay for itself in 1-2 years. Put a killawatt meter on that system and youll see that you are subsidizing your electric company instead of a brand new system for yourself.
3) Your analog cameras are very low res.
4) if you upgrade your os, there is a chance you wont have proper drivers for your old capture card.
You can move your licensee to a new pc..just deactivate...if you hit check for upgrade you should get a coupon code.,bi4 has TONS of new features...30 dollars is nothing...dont skimp out on the most important part of your system.
Decent ip cameras can be had for 60-100 dollars..well worth the investment...its 2016 :)

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
My regular use computer (I bought about 8 months ago) has an Intel I5 4460S CPU running at 2.90 MHz and 8 Gig Ram. If I go with IP cameras, would it suffice? I'd of course have to keep it on 24/7, but could shut down the other computer completely. Would normal use (internet, Facebook, email, some online gaming) suffer or interfere with BI4? I guess I could use the AMD for "normal" stuff and power it down most of the day (after Windows upgrade).
I've started to research IP cameras, but still don't know much. Any recommendations, keeping in mind the ones I have now aren't very high quality? I just researched how to connect two routers so I can have the extra ethernet ports for IP cameras. Not overly complicated - yet. Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My regular use computer (I bought about 8 months ago) has an Intel I5 4460S CPU running at 2.90 MHz and 8 Gig Ram. If I go with IP cameras, would it suffice? I'd of course have to keep it on 24/7, but could shut down the other computer completely. Would normal use (internet, Facebook, email, some online gaming) suffer or interfere with BI4? I guess I could use the AMD for "normal" stuff and power it down most of the day (after Windows upgrade).
I've started to research IP cameras, but still don't know much. Any recommendations, keeping in mind the ones I have now aren't very high quality? I just researched how to connect two routers so I can have the extra ethernet ports for IP cameras. Not overly complicated - yet. Thanks again.
That system will be more than sufficient but I would not use your daily system for any vms...you should be using a dedicated system. It makes no sense to pay for a windows upgrade on the old pc...You can buy an ivy bridge based intel hp business pc for 150..fast and efficient for daily use.
Look at 1080p dahua and hikvision cameras...turret design is optimal...
Simply buy this

caddyman68

n3wb
Reaction score
That system will be more than sufficient but I would not use your daily system for any vms...you should be using a dedicated system. It makes no sense to pay for a windows upgrade on the old pc...You can buy an ivy bridge based intel hp business pc for 150..fast and efficient for daily use.
Look at 1080p dahua and hikvision cameras...turret design is optimal...
Simply buy this
Sorry I just sort of abandoned this thread. All is well - of course it's 5 years later. I have come back for another issue though mainly related to push notifications going to my new Motorola Moto G6. Will open new thread. Thanks for the help.