Q-See QCN8009D dome cameras - dead?

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have three Q-See QCN8009D dome cameras. I can't get them to show up on IP scans on the 192.168.1.x range nor .2.x, .3.x, .4.x. They don't show up in the Dahua utility either. They can be jumped on the circuit board to reset them . . . and supposedly, you can unscrew the front half to get into them but the buggers are "eyeball" shaped cameras and it's extremely difficult to get any purchase to open them!

I plug them in and I get no lights or anything. When I hold any of them up to my ear while connected the PoE switch, I hear a faint really fast dull clicking . . . like 5-6 times each second perpetually.

I don't really "need" them, but additional cameras are always nice to have installed.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Andrew

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would set it up to scan the entire 192.168.x.x range ..

What was the source of these cameras?
Did the work before?
Have you tried powering them up in a pitched black room to see if the IR LEDs go on?

This is what I found on the camera:

Q-see QCN8009D 2 Megapixel Network Camera

1683998589042.png

1683998610574.png

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks!

"What was the source of these cameras?"

They came with our Q-See system (being replaced with BI) and were plug and play. We never set a static IP on them. They were up for about 6-8 years, I suppose.

"Did they work before?"

Originally yes, later no.

"Have you tried powering them up in a pitched black room to see if the IR LEDs go on?"

I believe I tested that last week, but I'll double-check. I'm pretty sure the LEDs don't light up.

Given they are all doing behaving badly, I suspect they are less reliable cameras long-term than the Q-See bullet cameras.

I'm thinking they are probably toast.

Thanks!
Andrew

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks!

"What was the source of these cameras?"

They came with our Q-See system (being replaced with BI) and were plug and play. We never set a static IP on them. They were up for about 6-8 years, I suppose.

"Did they work before?"

Originally yes, later no.

"Have you tried powering them up in a pitched black room to see if the IR LEDs go on?"

I believe I tested that last week, but I'll double-check. I'm pretty sure the LEDs don't light up.

Given they are all doing behaving badly, I suspect they are less reliable cameras long-term than the Q-See bullet cameras.

I'm thinking they are probably toast.

Thanks!
Andrew
also test the poe power source ...

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my routers has an "unknown MAC addresses" list that also includes the IP address of each device. I use this feature to quickly find "strange" IP address on new gear. Maybe your router has a similar feature?
I didn't know that was a "thing". I'll need to look into that. Thanks.

I suspect these cameras should still default to 192.168.1.108—the standard Dahua default address—since the Q-See DVR must have simply been applying dynamic addresses to all the cameras connected to it . Unless the DVR assigned them static IPs when each camera was connected to it the first time . . . maybe someone knows. Given how messed up the cameras would get after a power outage, I suspect it's all dynamic address assignment by the DVR (that we will be replacing very soon).

Thanks,
Andrew

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the IR lights don’t come on in the dark. And I know they are getting proper power from the POE switch.

♂

Andrew
are there AC/DC power barrel connectors ?

possible the PoE power related chips are fried in the camera ..