QNAP VioStor VS-5020

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can buy one very cheap. My question, can the VS-5020 (or other machines from QNAP) make motion detection records. I have searched through several articles and manuals, but i cant find the answer.

So what i need is: nothing is recorded, if motion is detected the record starts.

As i understand the manual the system records everyting all the time and then you can search for motion through the records.

Has anyone expirience?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
QNAP's Surveillance Station, which runs on the NAS boxes, is I believe very similar to that which runs on the Viostor boxes. The Viostor boxes should have more features as they are dedicated NVR solutions.
Surveillance Station on the QNAP NAS can record either continuously or by motion detection, or both.
The Playback timeline when recording with both also shows the motion detection segments.
One limitation, though, and it might be just with the Hikvision cameras models but I doubt it, is that it only uses motion events, as opposed to the 'smart events' of line crossing detection and intrusion detection that Hikvision cameras support, to trigger motion-related recording actions.