Question about best vendors and warranties

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm one of those who bought a Reolink system over black Friday that on seeing the problems mentioned here am about to put it in a box and return it to Amazon.

I've been reading a lot on here on recommended cameras, and it seems the only legit places to buy from are this Andy vendor and B&H photo. I am noticing however that Andy's Dahua stuff has a 1 yr warranty whereas everything Dahua I'm seeing on B&H has a 3 yr warranty. Are these the best 2 places to buy from, or are people getting their stuff from other vendors?

Also, I don't see much discussion regarding Amcrest and Lorex. Is their stuff any good?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I'm one of those who bought a Reolink system over black Friday that on seeing the problems mentioned here am about to put it in a box and return it to Amazon.

I've been reading a lot on here on recommended cameras, and it seems the only legit places to buy from are this Andy vendor and B&H photo. I am noticing however that Andy's Dahua stuff has a 1 yr warranty whereas everything Dahua I'm seeing on B&H has a 3 yr warranty. Are these the best 2 places to buy from, or are people getting their stuff from other vendors?

Also, I don't see much discussion regarding Amcrest and Lorex. Is their stuff any good?
I think you're right at 30 days so good luck returning that to Amazon. I don't know the details for sure around times allowed but just know that you could be too late. idk. As for Amcrest and Lorex, Amcrest is a known company that uses other companies' cameras and puts their own firmware and software on it. This can be bad or can, imho, actually be no problem. I think it depends on the model and what you're wanting to use it for. Another that I would especially advise watching out for is LAView. In my experience, they're horrible support and don't update their firmwares. Again though, it can all depend on the price you get them for and if/how you need support.

The best advice I could give is to take your time and watch the forum for a couple months.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you're right at 30 days so good luck returning that to Amazon. I don't know the details for sure around times allowed but just know that you could be too late. idk. As for Amcrest and Lorex, Amcrest is a known company that uses other companies' cameras and puts their own firmware and software on it. This can be bad or can, imho, actually be no problem. I think it depends on the model and what you're wanting to use it for. Another that I would especially advise watching out for is LAView. In my experience, they're horrible support and don't update their firmwares. Again though, it can all depend on the price you get them for and if/how you need support.

The best advice I could give is to take your time and watch the forum for a couple months.
Note that amcrest does not write their own firmware. Dahua puts the amcrest logo on its firmware for them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

If you want a warranty then buy from bandh...note that you will be paying significantly more for the warranty, you can self insure yourself by simply buying international models (firmware upgradable, not china region hacked cameras) . Also note that the selection of good low light cams and form factors are limited at BH because they sell only US region cameras.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Fortunately my purchase falls under extended holiday return so Amazon shows I can return up until Jan31.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So does Dahua run Amcrest as a separate company, or is it just another Dahua brand name? Inferior quality?
dahua doesnt run amcrest. Amcrest is a small company in TX, run by the same folks who used to sell foscam in the US and left users hanging when they stopped. They just order enough from dahua so that dahua oems for them just like dahua does for many other brands.
The cameras are made by dahua, but there is a very limited selection of low light cams, one 8mp model that falls into the low light category, otherwise they use sensors (also available on dahua models) that suffer in low light/night.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a good question. I saw one cam on Amazon of his this morning that said 2 yr, most of them I can't find any warranty mentioned, and on the aliexpress site all of them say 1yr. I can get links to individual cams on his aliexpress site to pull up on my phone, but his store site won't come up.

Last edited:

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I joined this site today because I'm fed up with my amcrest system. You can see on amazon most of their products get 4+ stars but I'm starting to doubt those reviews.
I also received a broken indoor PTZ camera from amcrest directly and when I returned it the sent me a damaged refurb unit. I will no longer be giving them any of my money.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you buy 3 or more cameras from Andy you will save enough to outright pay for a replacement if needed and still be ahead. I've got 7 from Andy and so far no failures.

jebt2921

n3wb
Reaction score
Might also checkout www.nellyssecurity.com. A lot of it is Hikvision and has superb customer service and 3 year warranty. Not to mention 60 day return policy no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are these the best 2 places to buy from, or are people getting their stuff from other vendors?
For me, the limiting factor with B&H is that since they’re official Dahua US resellers, they’re limited to reselling Dahua US models. Dahua US doesn’t carry all of the Dahua International models. For example, the most Dahua popular cameras used by forum members here over the last three years have been the Dahua 5231/2231 2MP Starlight varifocal turrets. Dahua US never carried the 5231 model, so B&H (and the other official US Dahua resellers) never sold it. The forum here is now really excited about the new 5442 Starlight+ models that came out this summer... first time the MP has increased (from 2MP to 4MP) and the low-light sensitivity also increased - it’s always gone down as the MP increased (at least in the affordable models). I haven’t looked but I haven’t seen anyone mention that Dahua US/B&H sell these models.

Their stuff isn’t bad IMO but they usually don’t have low-light models that use the better image sensors found in Dahua/Hikvision cameras (like the new 4MP 1/1.8” in the Dahua 5442 models that are getting great reviews). IIRC, there is a Lorex out that uses an 8MP 1/1.8” sensor which isn’t the worst low-light sensor, but its minimum light requirements (which is one way to get a feel for how a camera is likely to perform in low light) falls behind the 2MP 1/2.8” sensors which are now being out performed by the new 4MP 1/1.8” sensors. I haven’t seen an Amcrest or Lorex model that uses the last two sensors which are the two most recommended for low light.

Dahua/Hikvision cameras usually have an advanced form of motion detection called IVS/Smart Efents. This can help significantly reduce false alarms. This feature is often dropped when the camera is sold under a different brand, so def investigate that if getting a rebrand. Although Andy sells cameras under Gus brands, they run the official Dahua firmware so all features should be there.

elmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me, the limiting factor with B&H is that since they’re official Dahua US resellers, they’re limited to reselling Dahua US models. Dahua US doesn’t carry all of the Dahua International models. For example, the most Dahua popular cameras used by forum members here over the last three years have been the Dahua 5231/2231 2MP Starlight varifocal turrets. Dahua US never carried the 5231 model, so B&H (and the other official US Dahua resellers) never sold it. The forum here is now really excited about the new 5442 Starlight+ models that came out this summer... first time the MP has increased (from 2MP to 4MP) and the low-light sensitivity also increased - it’s always gone down as the MP increased (at least in the affordable models). I haven’t looked but I haven’t seen anyone mention that Dahua US/B&H sell these models.

Their stuff isn’t bad IMO but they usually don’t have low-light models that use the better image sensors found in Dahua/Hikvision cameras (like the new 4MP 1/1.8” in the Dahua 5442 models that are getting great reviews). IIRC, there is a Lorex out that uses an 8MP 1/1.8” sensor which isn’t the worst low-light sensor, but its minimum light requirements (which is one way to get a feel for how a camera is likely to perform in low light) falls behind the 2MP 1/2.8” sensors which are now being out performed by the new 4MP 1/1.8” sensors. I haven’t seen an Amcrest or Lorex model that uses the last two sensors which are the two most recommended for low light.

Dahua/Hikvision cameras usually have an advanced form of motion detection called IVS/Smart Efents. This can help significantly reduce false alarms. This feature is often dropped when the camera is sold under a different brand, so def investigate that if getting a rebrand. Although Andy sells cameras under Gus brands, they run the official Dahua firmware so all features should be there.
Thanks for the very detailed info. I did notice when looking at the Amcrest specs that they lack the motion detection features the Dahua/Hikvision mention.
The selection on the b&h photo does seem very limited. I wonder why Dahua/Hikvision limit their US models so much. I am however finding it confusing trying to dig through the myriad of part numbers for both to try to figure out what is what.

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua/Hikvision cameras usually have an advanced form of motion detection called IVS/Smart Efents. This can help significantly reduce false alarms. This feature is often dropped when the camera is sold under a different brand, so def investigate that if getting a rebrand.
So I’m guessing this likely the root of my issue with amcrest and all my false alarms.

jebt2921

n3wb
Reaction score
@elmo

Don’t want to beat a dead horse but your scenario seems similar to mine when I first got researching. Once I found www.nellyssecurity.com everything was solved for me. They put it all in English for you with very detailed install videos and instructions.

I have several of the Hikvision ColorVu cameras (4MP Extreme Low Light IP POE Weatherproof Turret Camera W/ Integrated Flood Light & Microphone NSC-NITECOLOR-DM2)

as well as Hikvision indoor cube cams (5MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera with 2.8mm Wide Angle Lens, Built in Two-Way Audio Mic and Speakers, True PIR Motion Detection, 30' Infrared Night Vision, SD Card Slot for On Board Storage (NSC-245W-C))

along with a Hikvision 16 channel NVR (NSN-616(4K)-16P 16 Channel POE Plug-N-Play 4K NVR).

Love the setup once I tweaked the numerous types of notification settings (5-6 different types to use based on each cameras specific location and needs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Let me tell you some of the best reasons to purchase Dahua cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY
  • top quality Dahua equipment ALWAYS - there have been a very few rare problems with certain models, handled most professionally
  • impeccable hardware and firmware support - read the Dahua forums for examples
  • less than five days delivery time - unbelievable

triplec

n3wb
Reaction score
So I'm one of those who bought a Reolink system over black Friday that on seeing the problems mentioned here am about to put it in a box and return it to Amazon....

i am with you except tried some Nests as their thermostats are highly requested on our jobs. I would throw out Montevue Surveillance to go with Nellys if you want Dahua. They are the most honest I have found and told me right up front their gear is Dahua. They still have a few sales on but I got the best price on basic system from talking and follow up email. I haven't ordered. I emailed Andy here but got auto reply he was on break until today. looks like Montevue prices bit lower on some but Andy has cameras they are out of stock on so I am thinking a mix and match from both. I like the idea of tech support a call away with Montevue but also picking up couple cams from Andy.