Question about HDW2231 camera substream

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a dahua IPC-HDW2231-something something from Andy. Works great, really impressed with the night vision.

I'm having a problem with my kid's android. She has a 7 inch Samsung Tab-A and I set it up so that all she has to do is open "IP Cam Viewer Lite" and she can see the stream coming from the camera. Problem is, I don't think her tablet (new for Christmas) can keep up with the Main Stream being fed to it. The camera embeds the timestamp and each second that ticks off is more like 1.5 seconds on her android.. then, after it has fallen behind about 15 seconds, it speeds forward to where its only three or four seconds behind and repeats the process.
I got a Samsung Tab-A 10.1 inch for Christmas as well and it has no such problem. The timestamp in the camera, in Blue Iris, and on my Tab-A, are all within one second of each other and everything is smooth.

I set her IP Cam Viewer up to access the substream and it seems to run it fine, problem is that its a funny ratio that makes the entire picture look stretched. Gives me a headache just looking at it.

Is there any solution to these problems? The substream dropdown box in the Dahua camera only gives me three choices and all three suck.

Camera setting Mainstream 1080P
15fps
4096kbs
iframe=30 (whatever that means)
CBR
Smart Codec = off (whatever that is)
H.264H

Her tablet is on a 2.4ghz wifi channel whereas my bigger Tab-A 10.1 is on a 5ghz wifi channel. I can't imagine this would make a difference for a single 2MP camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can not really help you with your direct problem.

CBR is for constant bit rate, send the came amount of data second after second.
VBR is variable bit rate, the amount of data varies as the data in the picture varies.

Smart codec , each manufacture has there own magic for compressing the video data, the problem is that the software that uncompresses it need to known about the magic.

Iframe, in video compression, is a complete frame with 100 % of the data , this is the IFRAME. The intermediate frames only have the data that changed. On different cameras the Iframe value is specified in frames or in seconds. So for a frame rate of 15 frames/second and Iframe value of 30 would mean that a complete frame is sent every 2 seconds. It is general it is recommended that the Iframe value be 15.

The tablet need to process the video stream and build the intermediate frames from the data provided, so it may not be a data rate problem, but a processing power problem.

I do not use IP Cam Viewer Lite. If you can set IP Cam Viewer Lite to display only 1 or 2 frames per second this may solve the problem. The other problem is that the A7 has a frame size of 800x1280 which is not very standard and needs more processing.