Question about locally remote NVR functionality

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Nighthawk router that has built in VPN service menu. There are quite a few setup options though and that's what I need to figure out as well as the setup on my iPhone and the impact on all my other devices.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
For your smart phone access, download the Dahua app - idmss (iphone) or gdmss (android)

In your router, go to the "Advanced" menu and find VPN setup
Turn on "enable VPN"

Then from the Netgear router instructions:
To install iPhone/iPad VPN client on your client devices:
Step 1: Select the Enable VPN Service check box and click the Apply button.
Step 2: Download the client utility (e.g. OpenVPN Connect) from Apple App Store and install it on the devices where you want to run the VPN client.
Step 3: Click the "For Smart Phone" button to download the configuration files for your VPN clients.
Step 4: Unzip the configuration files you have just downloaded and use iTune to upload them to the folder of "OpenVPN Connect" on your device.
Step 5: Client utility must be installed and import the configuration file, please refer to http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_openvpn.aspx#ios
Note: if you want to make any change in Advanced Configurations section, please make the changes before you download the configuration files in Step 3.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Orly,

Check your router if it can easily do VPN for you, this will not be the same VPN as PIA.

Risk - port forwarding is the way people have traditionally accessed their compute resources at home - normally this is like having a "portal" of your front door into the worst neighborhood in the world. Just a matter of time that some thief / robber finds a way to unlock or kick in your door and ... well, that is an analogy.

Truth is today there are active "bots" searching 24/7 for services and computers which have been port forwarded so they can hijack your computer / NVR / cameras are use those resources... often for illegal purposes - say as a way to attack a bank, or share illegal files, or...
For your smart phone access, download the Dahua app - idmss (iphone) or gdmss (android)

In your router, go to the "Advanced" menu and find VPN setup
Turn on "enable VPN"

Then from the Netgear router instructions:
To install iPhone/iPad VPN client on your client devices:
Step 1: Select the Enable VPN Service check box and click the Apply button.
Step 2: Download the client utility (e.g. OpenVPN Connect) from Apple App Store and install it on the devices where you want to run the VPN client.
Step 3: Click the "For Smart Phone" button to download the configuration files for your VPN clients.
Step 4: Unzip the configuration files you have just downloaded and use iTune to upload them to the folder of "OpenVPN Connect" on your device.
Step 5: Client utility must be installed and import the configuration file, please refer to http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_openvpn.aspx#ios
Note: if you want to make any change in Advanced Configurations section, please make the changes before you download the configuration files in Step 3.
That's more along the lines of what I was looking for. I don't think I'll have time tomorrow to set all that up so I'll likely leave the NVR off the network while I'm on my trip.
I now realize how far I've fallen behind in my tech-know-how. With age I've just lost the interest to keep up with all the new stuff and it shows.

Thanks though for the good info. I'll tackle that when I get back.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Once you get the VPN app installed on your phone, disconnect it from WiFi, open the VPN and verify it connects to your LAN.
You'll want to turn off port forwarding before you do all that.

Once you verify a good connection via VPN to your home network, open and setup the idmss app to the IP address of your NVR and you should be able to view your cameras through your LAN

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
That's more along the lines of what I was looking for. I don't think I'll have time tomorrow to set all that up so I'll likely leave the NVR off the network while I'm on my trip.
I now realize how far I've fallen behind in my tech-know-how. With age I've just lost the interest to keep up with all the new stuff and it shows.

Thanks though for the good info. I'll tackle that when I get back.
Once you get the VPN app installed on your phone, disconnect it from WiFi, open the VPN and verify it connects to your LAN.

Once you verify a good connection via VPN to your home network, open and setup the idmss app to the IP address of your NVR and you should be able to view your cameras through your LAN
So this VPN should cover one of those cheap turret IPCAMs I have inside my home? I 'd like to use it to monitor the interior.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So the VPN allows you to close all ports facing the interwebs on your home network. No port forwarding. The VPN allows you to tunnel into your home network and act as if you’re sitting at your desk at home. Each device you want to use to remotely connect to your home network must have the VPN credentials.

It should have no effect on your other devices on your network. It connects you to the LAN side of your home router and from there it’s like sitting at your desk.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
So the VPN allows you to close all ports facing the interwebs on your home network. No port forwarding. The VPN allows you to tunnel into your home network and act as if you’re sitting at your desk at home. Each device you want to use to remotely connect to your home network must have the VPN credentials.

It should have no effect on your other devices on your network. It connects you to the LAN side of your home router and from there it’s like sitting at your desk.
That makes more sense. Thx

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score

I know its been a while since I last replied but I was pretty busy and sidetracked but now I'm attempting to setup my VPN for iPhone viewing.

I appear to have successfully established a VPN connection between my phone and router. My problem I think seems to be connecting the iDMSS lite app to my NVR. The app has lots of connection options but none seem to work. I've tried entering the LAN ip address of the NVR but no success. Am I supposed to have any ports forwarded because I don't?

Thx

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I know its been a while since I last replied but I was pretty busy and sidetracked but now I'm attempting to setup my VPN for iPhone viewing.

I appear to have successfully established a VPN connection between my phone and router. My problem I think seems to be connecting the iDMSS lite app to my NVR. The app has lots of connection options but none seem to work. I've tried entering the LAN ip address of the NVR but no success. Am I supposed to have any ports forwarded because I don't?

Thx
No, the VPN in place is just to avoid having to port-forward anything to the router and the internet. While connecting through the VPN, your device is "virtually" connected to your "private network", hence the VPN. Even when being in HAWAII, your iphone thinks he is at home.

There are some common pitfalls for VPN networking, but for iDMSS to be working: turn OFF any VPN first. You connect on your wifi and configure iDMSS with the local network address (let's say: 10.10.10.10). If this ain't working, you got some other issues along the line, a VPN will not resolve them.
When you have iDMSS running, you TURN OFF your wifi access, enable 3G/4G and THEN turn ON the VPN connection. Restart iDMSS and voila, it should work! If not, you might have to fiddle through the VPN server options (eg. redirect internet access).

Hope this helps!
CC

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
No, the VPN in place is just to avoid having to port-forward anything to the router and the internet. While connecting through the VPN, your device is "virtually" connected to your "private network", hence the VPN. Even when being in HAWAII, your iphone thinks he is at home.

There are some common pitfalls for VPN networking, but for iDMSS to be working: turn OFF any VPN first. You connect on your wifi and configure iDMSS with the local network address (let's say: 10.10.10.10). If this ain't working, you got some other issues along the line, a VPN will not resolve them.
When you have iDMSS running, you TURN OFF your wifi access, enable 3G/4G and THEN turn ON the VPN connection. Restart iDMSS and voila, it should work! If not, you might have to fiddle through the VPN server options (eg. redirect internet access).

Hope this helps!
CC
Now do I need port forwarding enabled while connected via local wifi? I don't think you do. Anyways, I could not get the phone app to connect to the DVR via local wifi. I can connect my local PC via wifi through Chrome browser extension called Easy Viewer by the NVR's local ip address.

I don't know if i'll keep pursuing this headache. This reminds why I didn't get into the IT field years ago after studying for it. With all the "advancements" in IT and shit still cant be simple.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Now do I need port forwarding enabled while connected via local wifi? I don't think you do.
No you don't need port forwarding if your iPhone is on the same network as your NVR. Make sure you entered the EXACT internal local IP address in the iDMSS. Or you try another app like TinyCam. Also free.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
No you don't need port forwarding if your iPhone is on the same network as your NVR. Make sure you entered the EXACT internal local IP address in the iDMSS. Or you try another app like TinyCam. Also free.
Yeah, I entered the coreect IP address as is assigned to the NVR by my router. There are many options for connectivity via idmss and I tried them all as far as I could figure out.

I'll give TinyCam a try.

Thx