Question about remote access and motion detection alarms

Niclas_a

n3wb
Reaction score
hello all the experts! I need some help with my new cameras that I bought from Andy (ipc-hdw5231r-ze) I have managed to get into the camera's own login and made picture settings and managed to get a nice picture.
I have installed 128gb memory card in both my cameras and set so events / alarms are recorded on these memory cards. so far everything is peace and joy.

Now comes the questions. do i really need a nvr or a computer with BI? I am happy if every alarm is recorded on my memory card so I can go in later and check out these clips. then comes the next question, is there any other way for me to reach these clips besides logging into the cameras IP? an app for mobile?

I unfortunately only have one laptop via my job, and can't install BI.
What is the advantage of having an NVR or a computer with BI over not having anything at all?
the recordings are on the sd card anyway? and the camera settings I do directly on their own login?

The next question is how do I get reliable alarms? right now the camera alerts every time the cat runs by, a butterfly flies by or if my lamp is turned on / off (the lamp has a light sensor so it flips a bit sometimes).
Also i dont want it to larm when familymemebers are detected.
I want to get really reliable alarms that only records when there is an unathorized person within my detection-area that I have set up in the camera.

Will probably have more questions that I fill in this thread, but these two questions are bothering me right now. grateful for all the help!

greetings from Sweden ( so have some patience with my english)

Niclas_a

n3wb
Reaction score
Also. I have my old avtech analog hdcctv system with nice full hd Sony Sensors cameras.
With dvr and everything.

Is there any kind of nvr/dvr that can manage both my old TVI cameras and my new IP cameras? Feels sad not using the Sony cameras at all. And they are not worth much on secondhandmarket. I want to use them to cover a larger area of my proporties if its possible :)

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Q1: did you try "iDMSS/gDMSS" on your phone/tablet? I only use it on my NVR, but I'm pretty sure it can playback clips on your SD card too.
Q2: if you want your camera to not only detect but also recognize your family members, you should have reached out to the bit more higher budget camera regions :) How else would your camera distinguish a "thief" from your mom's uncle's best friend? Not. Right :)
Q3: define reliable alarms: you can set (for example) within the IVS rules the minimum size object and maximum size object. But these things are mathematical! If you define the max size too small, you won't be alarmed by a "tank" passing by :)
Q4: if your TVI camera's are alreasy IP enabled (eg that DVR has an ethernet port), you can potentially at these feeds to an NVR which speaks the same "language". What does that mean? Camera's often speak ONVIF. Dahua NVR is able to connect to non-dahua ONVIF compatible camera's. They do use an additional camera license (eg if you would buy an 8 channel, and that TVI has 4 cams, you are left with 4 channels for your Dahua stuff). In other words: look in the documentation of your TVI system, is it network enabled? Then you're half way. Is it ONVIF compatible: you're almost there. The only way to be sure is to hook it up and see if it works :)
Q5: does an NVR/BI help: it depends on what you want to do/achieve and how much money your Wife allows you to spend :)

ow, I'm already at 5 answers. That's sad :p

Hope this helps!
CC

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The memory cards are backups, they have limited storage, are slow to review video. These are not magic AI cameras. They cannot differentiate between people and other objects let alone your family.

Niclas_a

n3wb
Reaction score
Q1: did you try "iDMSS/gDMSS" on your phone/tablet? I only use it on my NVR, but I'm pretty sure it can playback clips on your SD card too.

Yes, i just downloaded it and i got the app to find my cameras when using the same network. How about remote access. Guess i need to portforward in my router then. There’s for sure some step by step guide for this on the internet. This app could be an option for me. :) anyone disagree?

Q2: if you want your camera to not only detect but also recognize your family members, you should have reached out to the bit more higher budget camera regions :) How else would your camera distinguish a "thief" from your mom's uncle's best friend? Not. Right :)

I saw something on the cameras setting called ”face recognition”.
thought this might be the solution to the problem of the camera alerting familymembers?

Q3: define reliable alarms: you can set (for example) within the IVS rules the minimum size object and maximum size object. But these things are mathematical! If you define the max size too small, you won't be alarmed by a "tank" passing by :)

This i need to check more. Sounds like exactly the setting i was looking for. I dont need my cameras to alert anything else but humans. No animals whatsoever:) maybe it could alert a car on my driveway, but on my backyard, i only wants humans to be detected.

Q4: if your TVI camera's are alreasy IP enabled (eg that DVR has an ethernet port), you can potentially at these feeds to an NVR which speaks the same "language". What does that mean? Camera's often speak ONVIF. Dahua NVR is able to connect to non-dahua ONVIF compatible camera's. They do use an additional camera license (eg if you would buy an 8 channel, and that TVI has 4 cams, you are left with 4 channels for your Dahua stuff). In other words: look in the documentation of your TVI system, is it network enabled? Then you're half way. Is it ONVIF compatible: you're almost there. The only way to be sure is to hook it up and see if it works :)

My old dvr does have an enthernetport :)
Attached some pics of existing dvr specifications.
But this dvr cant handle my new ipcams right? (Enthernetcable from router to my poeswitch, from poeswitch to dvr and fr

Q5: does an NVR/BI help: it depends on what you want to do/achieve and how much money your Wife allows you to spend :)

She is already mad at me for spending 3 days of our vacay with these cameras :)

ow, I'm already at 5 answers. That's sad :p

Hope this helps!
CC

Niclas_a

n3wb
Reaction score
The memory cards are backups, they have limited storage, are slow to review video. These are not magic AI cameras. They cannot differentiate between people and other objects let alone your family.
I think 128gb Will be enough for me. Since i only record the alarmevents my 128gb Will be able to hold a lot of events.
But i need to fix the IVS rules then.
I Bought scandisk extreme pro 170mbit/s. These should be able to handle the videos? Are they slow reviewing videos?

I can live with the cameras alerting my familymembers :) thought they had face recognition function like for example nestcam iq :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think 128gb Will be enough for me. Since i only record the alarmevents my 128gb Will be able to hold a lot of events.
But i need to fix the IVS rules then.
I Bought scandisk extreme pro 170mbit/s. These should be able to handle the videos? Are they slow reviewing videos?

I can live with the cameras alerting my familymembers :) thought they had face recognition function like for example nestcam iq :)
I encourage you to buy the SD cards this way you will see how horrible it is to review video... Then you will go out and buy a proper VMS.

Niclas_a

n3wb
Reaction score
I encourage you to buy the SD cards this way you will see how horrible it is to review video... Then you will go out and buy a proper VMS.

ok you managed to persuade me. what do i need then? ideally I would like to be able to use some of my old TVI (coax cable) cameras in the same system. is there a dvr or nvr that can handle this?

alternative two, is that I skip the old cameras and buy another IP camera from Andy. which nvr with associated app is recommended for my dahua cameras? or is a laptop with BI the only right option?

I’m really lost here.
I only have 2 IP cameras right now. And i have 3 old TVI cameras.
But my need is only 3-4 cameras in total. So i dont need many chanels on the nvr.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
ok you managed to persuade me. what do i need then? ideally I would like to be able to use some of my old TVI (coax cable) cameras in the same system. is there a dvr or nvr that can handle this?

alternative two, is that I skip the old cameras and buy another IP camera from Andy. which nvr with associated app is recommended for my dahua cameras? or is a laptop with BI the only right option?

I’m really lost here.
I only have 2 IP cameras right now. And i have 3 old TVI cameras.
But my need is only 3-4 cameras in total. So i dont need many chanels on the nvr.
@EMPIRETECANDY posted a while ago "convertors" to put on your existing coax cabling and "upgrade" your current cams to "real" IP cams (on ethernet that is).

If you opt for a Dahua NVR (eg NVR5208), you can leverage all IVS features, (p)reviews on the "iDMSS/gDMSS plus" mobile app. Have a look at it on Apple Play or Android App store.

From your screenshots, I cannot deduct whether your existing system leverages ONVIF on the network port. To be sure: install "ONVIF Device Manager", let it query your device and post back the results.

That will help us to formulate an answer!
CC

Niclas_a

n3wb
Reaction score
update! my old dvr found my new IP cameras so now i use it as a storage device. it uses the EagleEyes app for remote access. works pretty well except I can't access the recorded material on the SD cards.

However, I need help to set rules on IVS. I have a cat running infront of my one camera about 25 times every night. each time it is recorded on the SD card.

I’m attaching some pictures of how I have tried to set a rule and set the minimum pixel size. but the cat still triggers the camera.
What am I doing wrong? how can i do so the camera does not record my cat?

Each time I log out, the selection jumps back to "max sixe" instead of "minimum size" on the pixels. I imagine that the condition then changes from minimum size to maxsize and therefore it disregards that condition with minimum size?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Well done on the old DVR!

For the cat: these draw-boxes are a funny thing. The problem is: you drew your (minimum size) box in a certain matter, but the camera might think your cat is much bigger (fatter?) than it looks. And by your screens, it is not visible if that is the case.
How to debug?
Open SmartPSS, and have a look at your IVS clips. One (or two) seconds before an IVS line (tripwire/intrusion) is triggered, SmartPSS visualises (in blue) the lines, in green the "objects" coming in, and once the blue lines become red, you know where and what did trigger the event. Analyse these images. I also thought it was a cat/marter triggering my alarm, but when a (small) bug is like 2cm from the camera, it triggers like an elephant, so my minimum boxes were larger than that cat, but smaller than the bug-elephant. Which triggered the alarm.

So take your time to analyse and adapt to these outcomes.

Hope this helps!
CC