Question for everyone / anyone

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I asked this question in a comment i posted. But i think this could be super valuable for anyone else new here.

For all the veteran ip cam people or anybody with experience.

If you could have all your money back and start over, what hardware / software / accessories would you buy ?

( Of course In relation to IP cameras. I imagine a couple of people will respond GME Stock or bitcoins / cryptocurrency )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I asked this question in a comment i posted. But i think this could be super valuable for anyone else new here.

For all the veteran ip cam people or anybody with experience.

If you could have all your money back and start over, what hardware / software / accessories would you buy ?

( Of course In relation to IP cameras. I imagine a couple of people will respond GME Stock or bitcoins / cryptocurrency )

If you could have all your money back ..

all the cloud cameras and cheap wifi cameras I bought...

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I had followed my own advice...

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

I wish I had the money back from my original cheap cameras most of which went into the trash.

Reaction score
I wish I had the money back from my original cheap cameras most of which went into the trash.
Yes, I would not have bought the LaView crap. But that was not a lot of money.

Would have built a server rack right away and put a rack mount PC for BI instead of a mini desktop. Something with more than 3 HDD 3.5" bays. Also rack mounted UPS instead of free standing ones.

Run larger conduit from the main attic to the area over the garage.

Maybe spring the several hundred dollars more for the Dahua or Hik ANLPR cams in stead of the B5241E-Z12E cams. But that may have not worked if they do not have enough zoom.

Put in off cam IR for the two LPR cams. Still might do this.

But as far as the cams installed and their locations, I would not change that.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would have better planned to have a rack containing my media and networking together with room for UPS and expansion. Its all in the same area now but my cameras are separate from my internet/media stuff. Still not too late to change it but currently lack motivation.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
From a infrastructure stand point I should have just spent the money and time in running more fiber in conduit at the edge of the property. Having to dig up a perfectly green lawn isn't something I enjoy! :facepalm: Should have told the guys who did the underside vents to make straight cuts vs corner cuts. Now, I'll have to either redo that section to be square or live with ugly holes which require two sections to be replaced vs one! :banghead:

Should have installed more OSB walking plates throughout the home instead of a couple. :embarrassed:

Should have installed a couple of outlets and light fixture up there too for long term maintenance and use! But, hey now I have an excuse to go up there and do it again like a loser while its 60'C in the dead of summer! :lmao: