Question from a newbie for camera veterans

shokosugi

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been reading through the Wiki and realize it's a long road ahead if I want to have the security camera system I envision. My main reason to build / purchase such a system is for a greater sense of security for my wife and children.

For those who have had security cameras for a while, did you find that your sense of security increased? Or did they have the opposite effect? What things gave you the greatest sense of security?

I live in a low-crime area. Our neighborhood's biggest problem is car prowls and we keep both cars in the garage. The purpose of the camera would be alerting me to an intruder outside before they came in and helping identify any potential criminals after the fact.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Start with an alarm system.

For me the cameras provide after the fact detailed information. Little to no change in my security feelings. I have two dogs, you can not get to the doors with out opening a gate and dealing with the dogs. I also have a gun for that, both my wife and I are good shots.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @shokosugi

I concur w/ SouthernYankee recommendations.

An good alarm system + security cameras + addition attitude and skills. Dogs are nice also if you have a decent yard.

For me the security cameras were well worth it - as it allows evidence, which in turns provides authorities better chances to reduce delinquency in the neighborhood.

If you're in a nice neighborhood then property crimes and burglaries probably are the bigger issues - and video evidence is useful to help counter doorcheckers and mailbox thieves.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In our case, it did increase my wife's sense of security.
We live in a quiet neighborhood as well....but in the year since installing a good system, I have shared video with the local PD three times.
I was surprised at what was going on at 3-4am at times, none of it involved us, but my neighbors or just in the street in general. Nothing serious mind you, just petty stuff.

Another great way to gain a sense of security is to take training such as the NRA's Don't Be a Victim Class or 3.
Some self defense class's.
Teach everyone in your household to keep doors locked.
Don't open the front door until you know who it is. Teach the kids to not run to the door at the first doorbell ring and yank the door open.
You can always talk "through" the door without opening it.
Keep your head up, keep aware of your surroundings.
Don't bury your head in the cell phone while out in public. You get tunnel vision.
Keep the garage door shut, don't advertise what you have.
Improve the door jamb of your doors, most entry doors are extremely easy to kick open.
Use something like this with long screws that will penetrate into the studs.
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Products-10385-Accommodates-Centers/dp/B00D2K33NG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540059831&sr=8-3&keywords=entry+door+reinforcement+plate
In each entry door hinge, replace one screw in each hinge with a 2.5" long screw, that will penetrate a stud.
Remember there is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood.
Watch Active Self Protection on youtube or facebook.

On the nextdoor app, I see folks report that they were "broken into" last night.
You question them just a little bit and you find, well we forgot to shut the garage door when we went to bed, and our cars in the garage the doors where not locked. And oh by the way, the man-door from the garage leading to the house wasn't locked either. :slap:

On the news, 30 cars in one area broken into, laptops, guns stolen. And oh by the way, none of the cars were locked. :smash:
That's besides the fact don't leave anything of value visible in the car.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My daughter in law had my son install some cams, because he worked nights, and she was at home with the kids.
Every little noise, and house creak freaked her out. The cams alleviated her fears that nothing was going on.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As stated above, surveillance cameras are just one more layer in an overall security plan. They provide two key functions: Situational awareness and potential evidence. My experience is that they dont provide much in the way of deterrence but that seems to depend on the level of sophistication and intoxication of the BG.