Question on Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Cameras

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am troubleshooting a issue with my Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. I was wondering if any member have an idea of how many users can be supported concurrently on the main stream? Camera settings are in attached photo. Network is a 1000mb backbone with cat 6 cables.

Thank You

M

IMG_4727.jpg

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any member have an idea of how many users can be supported concurrently on the main stream?
I don't know how reliable this is, from the product specs :

Streaming Method Unicast / Multicast
Max. User Access 10 Users /20 Users

How many are you hoping for?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am trying to allow 6 users on. Three DVR's and 3 iMacs using VLC Media Player. I disconnected two of the DVRs and non of the other 4 users experienced freezing screens as before when connected. I added one back and the issue returned. Wondering if backing off the quality or fps may allow all to be on at the same time. Still experimenting.

M

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You may be overloading the processor in the camera. Keep in mind they are not on the level f a smartphone or PC.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing shows if you try to run these cameras at 30fps and high bitrates that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable.

So it would be reasonable to assume that too many users coupled with higher FPS and bitrates will be problematic.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that it is best to stay under 3 concurrent. But lowering FPS or resolution, etc. can certainly help in this regard.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. This forum is a big help to us novice DIY security camera folks.

Yes I and still experimenting. I lowered the FPS to 25 from 30fps. 25 FPS is where the recorded video still look fluid. I have keep the quality at best and took the default bit rate. I also have not played with the bit rate or bit rate type yet. I like having a least one backup NVR. The 3rd NVR I have does not record just displays camera on our bedroom TV.

M

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do keep in mind that movies for the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so I don't think we need 30FPS for our phones, tablet, and monitors at home LOL. 15FPS for surveillance is fine.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
TY for the reply. Well if I started that way then maybe it would be a good thing. Reconfiguring for multicast on all the Cisco Switches, routers and such is something I would like to forgo.

additional info. If I only have 1 of the 3 NVRs on the net I am able to get all Mac computers and iPhones and iPads working fine at any quality and frame rate at the same time. I only get the the freezing video when I add an additional NVR. The primary NVR is a Dahua and the other 2 are ones I got from amazon.

M

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have the camera feed the nvr and nvr feed the iphone and ipad?

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The phones and pads are setup with IP viewers because we have 3 different locations. Also they all work fine but the issue is when I add a second NVR in the home network. Then the computers IP viewed all freeze. They are all wired on 1000mb backbone.

M

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I gather its 3 DVR at 3 different location, is it 1 iphone/ipad at each location? also i gather you mean NVR? since DVR is for Coax and you are talking about an IP Camera

right now you are trying to feed all 6 end points with 1 camera right?

is the below feasible? if the freeze is caused by camera overload, this will off-load 3 streams from the camera

Code:
        / NVR1 - iphone
Camera -- NVR2 - ipad
        \ NVR3 - ipad

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will check TY. I thought everything had a static address.

M

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well it seems to be running fine by changing the DVRs to static IPs. They were set on DHCP on a reserved IP. I used the same reserved IPs.

Terrò le dita incrociate.

TY wittaj.2-thumbs-up-small.png

M

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well it seems to be running fine by changing the DVRs to static IPs. They were set on DHCP on a reserved IP. I used the same reserved IPs.

Terrò le dita incrociate.

TY wittaj.View attachment 86368

M
Ah if the NVRs were all on the same internal subnet/VPN and they have the same IP, that would be an IP conflict and that can cause some really odd stuff to happen on the network

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked the IP and it was not the same. Just decided to set manually in DVRs. Not clear to me but I will take the win.

M

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After testing every possible thing I can think of I found that an old NVR (china made) I got off off Amazon years ago that I was using to view cameras in Master Bedroom (not recording) does something to the network where the camera windows on our mac computers freeze. The other 2 NVR do not seem to be affected. Cant even image how old the firmware is in the thing. So going to toss the camera viewing in master bedroom for now. Going to look for another way to view cameras there...

Thanks to all the help !!!

M