Question on garage setup of switch and pc

Artes426

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello there,

I want to setup a PC and switch for a 6-8 camera setup in my garage to avoid running camera cables to my router location inside the house. Does the below make sense?

Would I need to add a second 10/100/1000 network card to the PC allowing for the blue CAT wire to communicate from the PC to the wireless router for a future VPN connection? Thanks for your feedback!

Also, if the switch does not have two uplink connections, I can use one of the regular ports instead?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I want to setup a PC and switch for a 6-8 camera setup in my garage to avoid running camera cables to my router location inside the house. Does the below make sense?

Would I need to add a second 10/100/1000 network card to the PC allowing for the blue CAT wire to communicate from the PC to the wireless router for a future VPN connection? Thanks for your feedback!

Also, if the switch does not have two uplink connections, I can use one of the regular ports instead?

That will work. You dont need a second network card unless you want to specifically isolate the camera from everything on the network and dont have a router with vlan. Otherwise you can simply block cameras from having internet access.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless as fenderman has pointed out you are going to put the cams on a separate subnet you won’t need a 2nd card in the PC and therefore the connection.

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've trying to work out my own set up where the router is located away from the NVR. Could someone please explain in 'simple terms' as I'm a newbie, what purpose the switch plays in the set up above? I've got the dahua NVR and cameras from @Empiredirect. Note: none are currently in use.

Also, does an NVR get hot and require good ventilation? I'm thinking of building a secure space, in a cupboard

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've trying to work out my own set up where the router is located away from the NVR. Could someone please explain in 'simple terms' as I'm a newbie, what purpose the switch plays in the set up above? I've got the dahua NVR and cameras from @Empiredirect. Note: none are currently in use.

Also, does an NVR get hot and require good ventilation? I'm thinking of building a secure space, in a cupboard
Switch provides power to camera’s and allows all camera’s to share one Cat5/6 line back to the computer. Rather than run 8 lines from each camera all the way to the computer where you’d need a switch anyways, you run 8 shorter lines to the switch and then one long one to the computer.

An NVR will put off some heat. I had a Lorex one in a small cabinet and it kept rebooting itself. Removed it from the cabinet and the rebooting stopped, I assumed it was overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks BIT, I guess I'll have to try it out and find out whether I have issues after what you've said.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello there,

Just want to add, if you do this setup with a 2nd NIC, you wouldn't use the purple.