Question regarding POE

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No,
You will need 2 cables : 1 x rj45 + 1 x DC power 12v.
40w is too much for RJ45 wiring.

Don't forget a PTZ consumes power = camera+ heating + IR lighting.
So don't play with that and use 2 cables.

I never saw a decent external PTZ just powered by a single RJ45 only.

Hope this helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think that camera actually uses 40w..12v and 2a i think is about 25...hook it up to a killawatt with ir on and panning...you may be able to use a poe+ injector and splitter...but i woudnt invest to much in that cam..

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That camera actually has a better image than my Hik. The picture is truly amazing on that thing and runs so smooth. If it had the 20x optical zoom instead of the 10 I would have bought a 2nd one. My Hik is a POE+ so I guess I will just poe that one only and leave the other alone (both wires).

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personnaly I do not recommend RJ45 only for outdoor PTZ.
The only times I saw that is with some Axis PTZ, but Axis provide a specific Hi-Power POE injector and recommend specific RJ45 cable.

The problem is more the quality of RJ45 cable where the conductor (cooper or Aluminium/cooper) is too thin and heat. At final, after few months, the cable will be burned Inside and the camera will stopped working.
I had more than 2 cases where integrator/installer used cheapest cable quality and cable fuses. Hopefully cabling was most outside . Inside, I cannot imagine the results but for sure Fire risk.

I recommend if you want to used absolutely RJ45 cabling is previously to take measurement of the current placing the PTZ in cold conditions with night simulation.
Don't smile, but if you have a freezer or fridge, you can made the try at home. This will show you the exact Amps consuption to open your eyes. By the way use also the PTZ commands as step motors consumes a lot too

But this is only my recommendation to prevent dramatic issues.

Last edited by a moderator: