Questions about my Dahua Ip System

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm the proud owner of a Dahua 5842 system. I'm having some issues and have had a hard time figuring out the solutions and would be very grateful for some insight here.

1- It seems like the cameras are placed on a different subnet of 10.1.1.. Aren't the cameras supposed to be placed on the same subnet as the router of 192.168.0. ??? I'm unable to connect to the cameras using my laptop with the 10,1,1,* addresses.

2- A couple of cameras are very pixelated on liveview and I haven't been able to figure out why.

3- Is there a way to automatically switch between Day and Night modes?

4- I'm slightly disappointed with the image quality. Being 4k, I expected a little bit more detail than what I'm getting. Maybe there are settings within the camera (when I can access it) that would allow me to improve? The YouTube vides of Wildcat showcasing this camera seemed to have better image quality than what I'm seeing on my big screen tv.

Thanks for your help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm the proud owner of a Dahua 5842 system. I'm having some issues and have had a hard time figuring out the solutions and would be very grateful for some insight here.

1- It seems like the cameras are placed on a different subnet of 10.1.1.. Aren't the cameras supposed to be placed on the same subnet as the router of 192.168.0. ??? I'm unable to connect to the cameras using my laptop with the 10,1,1,* addresses.

2- A couple of cameras are very pixelated on liveview and I haven't been able to figure out why.

3- Is there a way to automatically switch between Day and Night modes?

4- I'm slightly disappointed with the image quality. Being 4k, I expected a little bit more detail than what I'm getting. Maybe there are settings within the camera (when I can access it) that would allow me to improve? The YouTube vides of Wildcat showcasing this camera seemed to have better image quality than what I'm seeing on my big screen tv.

Thanks for your help.
Hi @vidman

Is the camera connected to an NVR or your LAN router?

IP addresses are configurable, and the subnet you use is also.

Typically the following are popular:

192.168.x.x
10.x.x.x

Here's a good reference for more on that:

Ranges of IP addresses defined by RFC1918 are –
  • 10.0.0.0/8 ( Range: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 )
  • 172.16.0.0/12 ( Range: 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 )
  • 192.168.0.0/16 ( Range: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 )

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is working as intended and operator error is the rest...

1- It seems like the cameras are placed on a different subnet of 10.1.1.. Aren't the cameras supposed to be placed on the same subnet as the router of 192.168.0. ??? I'm unable to connect to the cameras using my laptop with the 10,1,1,* addresses. For a POE NVR, the cameras are on a different subnet on purpose (Dahua defaults to the 10.x.x.xxx) as that keeps the cameras off the internet and not phoning home. It is by design. You want to keep the cameras off the router as they are not designed for surveillance data heavy devices.

2- A couple of cameras are very pixelated on liveview and I haven't been able to figure out why. You need to dial these in for each camera. Running the camera on default rarely results in a good picture. More in Item #4.

3- Is there a way to automatically switch between Day and Night modes? Biggest complaint and flaw of the cameras - you need to login to the camera GUI and set up a schedule for when to switch between day and night, which means you have to go in a couple times a year and adjust the schedule. The day/night switch in the cameras only switches it from color to B/W and not the settings. Or you use the utility someone created here to use day and night settings based on sunrise/sunset

More than likely you have to low of a bitrate. Need to up it to 8192 minimum. All of these should be done in the camera GUI, not the NVR interface.

You should be able to access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1642813307223.png

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I've logged into the cameras and I'm adjusting the bitrate.

One weird issue I've found is that two supposed identical cameras have different settings? Note how one screen is missing "Smart IR". These were identical 5842 cameras I purchased.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check the firmware - I suspect they are different.

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, the other ones say
Device Type IPC-T5842T-ZE
this one says
Device Type: V2.840.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2021-09-30

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. I’ve dialed in the system a little better and the picture quality has improved. I was able to go into the cameras and set the day/night profile.
Do the day/night profiles translate into the Dahua NVR? Every time I put on live view, they seem to default to day and not follow the schedule created in the camera.