Questions about static IP configuration

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, My system is working great now without using a static IP but I know I need to set it up. Can someone dumb down the terminology for me as far as Gateway IP? Does the subnet mask ever change or is it always 255.255.255.0? I basically need to know what numbers to put where. Thanks

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Illya_Kareoke What model router/modem are you using?
Dont mess with the subnet mask.
Also, you dont have to mask out ip addresses that begin with 192.168...they are internal ip address and we all have the same ones.
What is the dhcp range? you may not need to set dhcp reservation if your cameras are outside the dhcp range..

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's an Actiontec c1000A. All 3 cams are within the beginning and ending DHCP reservation IP range. 0.2-1.105

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After you enable dhcp reservation you should be given the option to associate a mac address with an ip address.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After you enable dhcp reservation you should be given the option to associate a mac address with an ip address.
I'm lost, I changed my beginning DHCP address to a couple of ticks over my highest cam. DHCP server was already enabled as in the first snip.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm lost, I changed my beginning DHCP address to a couple of ticks over my highest cam. DHCP server was already enabled as in the first snip.
What is your dhcp range, what are your cameras set to?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can either manually set the IP address to be within the same subnet while being outside the DHCP servers range.

Second way is to tell the router to give a static ip address to individual set devices. The camera will be set to DHCP, and the router will give the camera/device the same IP everytime it connects based on its MAC address.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can either manually set the IP address to be within the same subnet while being outside the DHCP servers range.

Second way is to tell the router to give a static ip address to individual set devices. The camera will be set to DHCP, and the router will give the camera/device the same IP everytime it connects based on its MAC address.
So, destination IP would be the cam IP and Gateway would be the Modem IPv4 IP Address?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, destination IP would be the cam IP and Gateway would be the Modem IPv4 IP Address?
The static routing has nothing to do with setting a fixed ip address for your cameras...dont mess with it...leave it as is. If you cameras are outside your dhcp range and your cameras are set to static ip (not dhcp) you are done...just make sure you have enough dhcp address available for your other devices.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cams are DHCP off, as I said all 3 cams were within the beginning and ending DHCP reservation IP range. I changed the beginning to slightly higher than the highest cam IP. Was that correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are confusing two different settings in your router...
You need to choose whether you want to set a fixed address using dhcp reservation or simply setting a static ip outside the dhcp range..
If you are going to simply set the cameras outside the dhcp range, then dont use dhcp reservation.
At this time your dhcp range is still set to 192.168.0.2 through 254...
You will need to change that.
If you choose to use dhcp reservation , select a pool of dhcp reservation addresses (currently your pool is set wrong as it starts with 192.168.0.66 and ends with 192.168.1.105...they should both be 0. Then add the cameras mac address to correspond to an ip address in the pool.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't think I ever changed anything before the pool to 0.66 earlier today. The DCPH was enabled from when the guy installed it I think. Same with the 1 and 0, it must have been like that from the install. I don't want to take a chance in taking down my system this late in the day so I'll look at it again after work tomorrow. Thank guys!

ThChinaman

n3wb
Reaction score
For a regular home user, the gateway IP should be the internal IP for your router/modem, which seems to be 192.168.0.1. If you have a router connected to another router, the IP should be that of the one you are connected to, not the one in the very front. You should not need to touch the subnet mask. It in a way determines how many usable IP addresses you can use. Having 255.255.255.0 gives you 254 available addresses and you most likely will not run out.

fenderman is right. If you have your modem on address 192.168.0.1, your DHCP server addresses should be under 192.168.0.xxx. Having the 192.168.1.xxx will put the addresses on a different subnet and the two will not be able to communicate with each other unless you have a router that will send traffic between each subnet.