Questions of camera placement and wiring

Kevman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
this is my first time to install and hope you would give some advice/opinion of camera placement for a starter.

My property is very rectangular except the recess of main entrance and small enough not to worry about the distance, I guess.
Probably it may need more cameras for full coverage especially each sides, but I think I can start with 5 outdoors, 3 indoors ones for now to cover entrances for now.
Street facing side, one at Garage door (Cam A) is the main one to watch street and right side access, I guess.
Then one over front door (Cam B) is for door access, and Cam C is to cover lower level windows and the other side pass-by.
front_image.jpg
Backyard side, Cam D is for deck access and Cam E is lower level Patio door.
Also both cam is facing same side, indoor 1 and 2 to watch each door in case bypassing from the right side from picture.
back_image.jpg

main level.jpglower_level.jpg

Most uncertain thing is CAM C, which is mostly blocked by trees in front of.
I jut think if someone tries to break into the window directly, then it may help, but still not sure it's necessary or just turn to side.

For wiring, unfortunately there is no prewired cat5e or 6 since it's built in 70's and not much accessible half of attic, wiring seems not easy.
But I think I can make it if I can make 1 hole right under my office (where wifi sign is)
the problem is the side material is wood siding shingles and cannot find much tip for wood shingle siding.
How do I hide the cable? There is no enough space to put under each shingle like other siding.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could slide the cameras over closer to the downspouts and run out the soffit to the downspouts and down behind/next to them.

Cam A and C look like under soffit that you could go from 2nd floor downspout to that soffit and across.

Cam D and E are both next to a downspout.

I would consider a few more cams. Ideally you want to have each area covered by two cams. I would add at least one to the back right side and another on the front on the opposite side of the garage.

Kevman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could slide the cameras over closer to the downspouts and run out the soffit to the downspouts and down behind/next to them.

Cam A and C look like under soffit that you could go from 2nd floor downspout to that soffit and across.

Cam D and E are both next to a downspout.

I would consider a few more cams. Ideally you want to have each area covered by two cams. I would add at least one to the back right side and another on the front on the opposite side of the garage.
Thanks.
Front facing ones can be wired a bit easily since there are already coax cables, which I can expand the hole and run ethernet cables.
(A bit worry of ants/silverfish coming from there, thou.)

Problem is Cam D and E, which I failed to reach the soffit near the flood light. Hard to crawl up there in the attic since it's blocked by duct.
So I decide to run externally a bit from left side of wall, which already had a hole for furnace drain, which is not used any more.
Once it reaches the backside corner, then I can put the cables under soffit for sure, but that leaves some cable exposed a bit (around 4-5 feet), so I want to hide them under(?) wood shingle.

For more cams, I agree those location as well, but budget is a bit limited at the moment.
BTW to put the camera opposite side of garage, how do I wire there? it's right at the street covered with asphalt and even no power. Maybe wireless one?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
this is my first time to install and hope you would give some advice/opinion of camera placement for a starter.

My property is very rectangular except the recess of main entrance and small enough not to worry about the distance, I guess.
Probably it may need more cameras for full coverage especially each sides, but I think I can start with 5 outdoors, 3 indoors ones for now to cover entrances for now.
Street facing side, one at Garage door (Cam A) is the main one to watch street and right side access, I guess.
Then one over front door (Cam B) is for door access, and Cam C is to cover lower level windows and the other side pass-by.
View attachment 143245
Backyard side, Cam D is for deck access and Cam E is lower level Patio door.
Also both cam is facing same side, indoor 1 and 2 to watch each door in case bypassing from the right side from picture.
View attachment 143246

View attachment 143247View attachment 143248

Most uncertain thing is CAM C, which is mostly blocked by trees in front of.
I jut think if someone tries to break into the window directly, then it may help, but still not sure it's necessary or just turn to side.

For wiring, unfortunately there is no prewired cat5e or 6 since it's built in 70's and not much accessible half of attic, wiring seems not easy.
But I think I can make it if I can make 1 hole right under my office (where wifi sign is)
the problem is the side material is wood siding shingles and cannot find much tip for wood shingle siding.
How do I hide the cable? There is no enough space to put under each shingle like other siding.
Hi @Kevman

I would test positions for cameras in the following locations ( you may need to adjust them a bit .. )

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For a short stretch, I would paint it to match the wood.

Can you access cable by going thru to the garage for the two on either side and then going up the left side along the downspout?

You will want to stay away from wifi cams. If you can't get POE there, then do a powerline adapter to run data over your electric lines.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Duct Seal is great for sealing holes. It stays pliable and can be removed without damaging anything. It is dark grey though. Available at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon or electrical supply houses. If you terminate the CAT cables yourself there's no need to expand any holes that have coax going through, assuming you remove the coax of course.

Duct Seal

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic.
That would double the number of cams. :)

BTW, somehow my reply to @wittaj needs moderator approval. :oops:
FYI - if you need to cover the street / sidewalk you may even want a couple of more cameras ..
( example if you park on the street, if you have a mailbox on the street, or want to capture the cars used by suspects )

Kevman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For a short stretch, I would paint it to match the wood.

Can you access cable by going thru to the garage for the two on either side and then going up the left side along the downspout?

You will want to stay away from wifi cams. If you can't get POE there, then do a powerline adapter to run data over your electric lines.
Possible if I make another hole thru garage, but trying to minimize the number of holes in outer wall since woodpeckers have already made bunch.
Probably paint or conduit would be fine for me. (Is it just me reluctant to drill the outer hole blindly? :lol:)

Duct Seal is great for sealing holes. It stays pliable and can be removed without damaging anything. It is dark grey though. Available at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon or electrical supply houses. If you terminate the CAT cables yourself there's no need to expand any holes that have coax going through, assuming you remove the coax of course.

Duct Seal
Hope this could block carpenter ants too.
It's interesting that most reviews seem for outdoor usage but the product description says not for outdoor.

FYI - if you need to cover the street / sidewalk you may even want a couple of more cameras ..
( example if you park on the street, if you have a mailbox on the street, or want to capture the cars used by suspects )
Then I may need to worry about camera thieves.
Wish a home patrol drone would be cheaper price for those things.

Kevman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you might want one along the side of the house if there are any 1st floor windows over there,,,
Yeah luckily the front one and patio door at back are the only openings in ground level.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Then I may need to worry about camera thieves.
"Then I may need to worry about camera thieves." - Kevman

" .. you need cameras to watch the cameras,,,, " - Flintstone61

Flintstone has extensive experience, and is right about "more cameras" .. as well as alarms sensors on the first perimeter ..

If you are concerned about camera thieves, then more cameras and even cameras which are hidden ..

see ..

For me a camera must be able to do it's job - and sometimes that will put a camera into the reach of possible vandals.

Yes, I do put cameras by my door at face level, .. and you have to pass at least 2 camera zones to get to that camera.