Questions on outdoor WIFI Cameras

Reaction score
I'm helping out with an outdoor camera solution for a condo complex.
I told the sup that the max distance was around 300' without the use of antenna boosters.
I told him the ultimate solution would be ethernet, but that is not an option.
These would be going on light poles, where there is power, however I don't believe there are outlets on the light poles and as far as I know these wifi cameras would be powered by AC/DC adapters, not hard wired to a 120v circuit if I'm not mistaken.

Wondering what you all think about this.
Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody know if this is any good? As far as I know, 4k is not very good for at night. I'm surprised they suggested it to me. I'm a noob. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.nellyssecurity.com/media/specsheets/hikvision/ip-cameras/nsc-268g-btzf1.pdf
Hi @JamesFarrell

Nelly's is a good recommended vendor.

You can get a good low light 8MP camera, it will cost you. Example Dahua OEM has a nice 8MP starlight box camera, iirc it will perhaps be $800-1000+. If your Condo can afford it, it is a very good camera.
IPC-HF8835F
Dahua 4K Micro 4/3 Camera Tested (IPC-HF8835F)

In general most of us have had too many issues with WiFi to want to deal with the usual less successful ways people attempt to set it up. Unless you take the extra time and resources to do it well, expect to have a high probability of issues with it.

See @looney2ns reference. Search for others comments on using and setting up Ubiquiti Nanostations here.

Get a good IP POE camera and integrate with the Nanostations into the setup

See the cliffnotes

Get a test IP POE camera and other equipment and test.

Share your experiences and photos here so others can learn and share their recommendations with you.

Reaction score
The quote I have is for 9 nanostations and 8 of the cameras listed. We do not need pristine quality, but something that is decent.